BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by wolflold View Post
    Well i do karate, full body contact! Altough we dont actualy aim for head and groin, but if you leave it unprotecected, you learn the hard way to keep your guard up! (note: we dont kick/punch in the groin, we just stop a few inches before it.
    So. You punch people in the groin but don't hit them at the same time?

This is all I have to say.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_mDTLphIVY[/url]

By your logic so far, next time your in your Karate Class you need to just ****ing deck a guy in the face. Because realy. Would a real Karate Expect say "Not the face, K? ^^ "

I will then point out many larping weapons that are padded still have heft to them, with leverage on top of that. I have friends who dose larp, who got concussions from getting hit in the head full tilt by one of these weapons by mistake. They can cause harm.
    =/

At this point I'm sure we can stop feeding the troll.
    Last edited by Lockark; 05-04-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Occuli Imperator

Umm, I would say get back on subject... But Im not sure what that subject is. ::Points:: hey chainswords!

Duke
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Chainswords! When cutting someone is doing enough damage to please you!

Librarian

OMG, nearly 3 pages just because someone is putting down LARP because his mate told him it was Wussy.

LARP - if I decide to do it would be fun. Yeah you are not suppose to hit people in the face and other vital areas. SAFETY - if they didn't push the safety aspect, they would be sued till they were broke, and no one would host the events.

Imagine if Paint ball did not insist on safety gear, and have rules about minimum distances that you can shoot at people, and no shooting people in the face. It is fun, hurts a bit, but you do not want to lose an eye.

Same with Unarmed combat. There are rules there as well. Since it has been mentioned here you should know that. I was matched up against an opponent for training who weighed nearly twice as much as I did, and was 2 belts higher than me. He was so hyped up, he ignored me when I tapped out from an arm lock forcing the instructor to put a hold on him to get him to release me from his arm lock. Brazilian Ju Jitsu, and other close combat martial arts have safety rules for a reason, and yes people still get hurt, but hopefully not so bad that they are totally incapacitated, or made paraplegic.

I was in the Army for 14 years, trained in Martial arts for 8, another 28 years in table top wargaming, 5 years in skirmish, and years and years enjoying other fun adventurous activities like Canyoning, caving, and rock climbing, and every where I go they have rules and safety checks to make sure people do not get hurt, and protect the company from being sued.

Just relax about LARP, and admire the really cool Chainsword, sorry Steampunk Pirate Cutlass,. Think of the cool 40K outfit you could make for the next Forgeworld day event, or some other big event that might occur in your area? Don't wait start making that Space Marine suit of power armour, and Bolter. The challenge is on.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Veteran-Sergeant

On topic: The chain sword does look cool, larp or no larp

Off topic: What is you did use it in larp, what kind of safety masures would you have to take ^^ "Oh, you lost your arm!" "WHAT! Its just a flesh wound!" *fight continues

Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga View Post
    Do you punch someone in the face in your self-defense class? How about the groin--do you actually strike full power to that target?

Kendo does not allow a strike to the face, or the groin. And both areas have significant protection.
    Actually your a bit off on that point, specifically to the face is not one of the predetermined area's of attack but strikes to the face are considered legal strikes, most often these come in passes, or if you are "chest to chest" or locked up with your opponent.

But also Kendo has a target in sparing that no other martial art that I've ever taken uses as a standard point of attack. Tsuki a thrust to the throat.

Migi Men a strike to the right (your right side) of the head Hidari Men a strike to the left (your left side) of the head and Men Uchi normally a strike to the top of the head are the 3 target points on your opponents head. But if you get a clean Men (head shot) to your opponents face guard then it is a valid strike, the reason why it's not a focused attack is that it's actually very difficult to hit your opponent directly in the face with a curved edged weapon when they are directly in front of you, you just don't generate as much power from a thrust as you do with a swing or a slash from the left or right or downward.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Eldred View Post
    Actually your a bit off on that point, specifically to the face is not one of the predetermined area's of attack but strikes to the face are considered legal strikes, most often these come in passes, or if you are "chest to chest" or locked up with your opponent.

But also Kendo has a target in sparing that no other martial art that I've ever taken uses as a standard point of attack. Tsuki a thrust to the throat.
    Actually (unless it's changed) the only time a face strike is legal is when the face is unintentionally struck due to the target pulling his head back from a strike to the head.

Since it's fairly confusing, I opted not to muddy the waters, so to speak.

And yes, throat shots are legal in kendo and in western fencing--but both sports mandate heavy protection in that area.

Librarian

Everyone refer to dukes comment above - get back on the subject of the chain sword and how cool it looks. and so on. Whether it would be legal in some places to have one in your home, well it might not be.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Librarian

If i could afford a real (full plate armor) Grey Knight suit of armor, then i would buy it in a heart beat.

After fighting a friend while in plate armor, i found a new respect for medieval soldiers.it was exhausting, but super fun.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123