BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by wolflold View Post
    So its a wargame forum, but i still dont dress up like a fairy and try to beat up people with pillows... :P
    I'm going to assume that by fairy you mean tinkerbell and not something that will get you a warning from the mods.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

You might not be socially interacting with other people wearing strange costumes and plastic swords, you are instead standing over a table with plastic men and plastic little fortresses.

I'd suggest trying larping, [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ6exaC5ryE[/url]
    Watch this, it's a famous comedian trying Larping for the first time. quite amusing

That's a pretty funny video Fellend.XD I quite enjoy Dara O'Briain reunites, and that was very entertaining. Never even heard of this show before.

Cool to see a more positive portrayal of LARP'ing in the media.
    Last edited by Lockark; 05-04-2011 at 12:09 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

I'm going to assume that by fairy you mean tinkerbell and not something that will get you a warning from the mods.
    Fairy as in dress up fantasy-ish!

Every combat sport (armed or otherwise) has rules, regulations and mandatory safety equipment. Most of them disallow strikes to the groin and face. If such strikes are allowed, it is only under certain conditions and requires the uke (for lack of a better term) to have sufficient protection.
    Ik know, i do martial arts myself! You're right in competition there are rules, but in the dojo we actualy learn to defend are selfs! If you are attacked on the street or someting they won't say: im not going to kink you in the face because it hurts...I was once in such a situation and was glad i was prepared!

Its fine if you LARP and play a knight/samurai/mage/whatever, but would a knight say: NOT IN THE FACE! ^^

The problem with LARP is that most groups have the same half-hearted standards that, say, the SCA promote for historical reenactment.
    My brothers and I, while we don't LARP, have made some WFB and 40k costumes to the same standards we have for our hsitorical costumes. IE as accurate as humanly possible. They look damn fine, but I can see why most LARPERs don't do it this way as my Empire general kit cost around five thousand pounds between the armour and all the cloth for the outfit, plus the time it took to sew the blasted thing.

Anyway, the point is LARP doesn't have to look sad if you put in the effort and cash to do it properly. But if you get cheap synthetic/synthetic blend material, plastic armour, cheap Indian made armour and rattan swords you will look stupid and everyone will think you are weird.

When it comes to fighting, our group does everything but thrust to face and groin, for obvious reasons. Unless we are in full plate harnesses in which case you do everything. Our swords are metal though with a beveled edge, again for obvious reasons. But the amount of training it takes to get a new member up to that level is significant, and you need someone extremely skilled and patient to start the process. Otherwise you end up with a group of people who can't use a sword but think they can which is really very dangerous.
    Last edited by eldargal; 05-04-2011 at 05:10 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

First-Captain

Its fine if you LARP and play a knight/samurai/mage/whatever, but would a knight say: NOT IN THE FACE! ^^
    Do you punch someone in the face in your self-defense class? How about the groin--do you actually strike full power to that target?

Kendo does not allow a strike to the face, or the groin. And both areas have significant protection.

I have never been able to strike to the face in a kumite bout, nor the groin.

In the various arts I've studied--even when you practiced defending against more than one uke, you never actually hit someone in the face or groin.

So...really, you're point is not made--unless your point is to ridicule something you've never tried/know nothing about.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga View Post
    This shows an amazing amount of ignorance.

Combat larps have safety rules--just like traditional combat sports. The reason for this is safety.

Every combat sport (armed or otherwise) has rules, regulations and mandatory safety equipment. Most of them disallow strikes to the groin and face. If such strikes are allowed, it is only under certain conditions and requires the uke (for lack of a better term) to have sufficient protection. Only one combat sport I have participated in, and can think of outside of that venue, allows groin strikes--olympic fencing. And of that, only 2 of the 3 weapons can target the groin--and it's almost universally frowned upon.
    Its a combat sport! Its meant to be bloody and violent! More blood! More skulls! If you dont want to get hit in the face, stop eating twinkies, and learn to dodge!

Thats why I think we should start promoting Blood Bowl as a real sport. Ever notice how the fun sports are a bit more violent? Like Hai Alai?

I think everyone will agree with me. Golf would be far more entertaining if everyone played the same hole at the same time. Trying to swing while other players balls are flying all around you. Maybe get nailed in the back of the head by a misfire...

Bobsledding if each team ran the same couse but only with a 3 second interval between teams? Nascar with a guy in a Semi going the other way around the couse?
    Last edited by Skragger; 05-04-2011 at 08:56 AM.
    Hi ho! Hi ho! Its off to Krump we go!

Veteran-Sergeant

Do you punch someone in the face in your self-defense class? How about the groin--do you actually strike full power to that target?
    Well i do karate, full body contact! Altough we dont actualy aim for head and groin, but if you leave it unprotecected, you learn the hard way to keep your guard up! (note: we dont kick/punch in the groin, we just stop a few inches before it. On the head you'll get a kick/punch but its not so hard you get a concusion or anything). Besides we practice with pads on hands and feet, so when you got hit you easily shake it off.

So...really, you're point is not made--unless your point is to ridicule something you've never tried/know nothing about.
    Its a personal opinion! I think al martial-arts are beautifull sports, and agree that head/groin are off limits (nobody likes that). But the way i leard it you're more on your guard.

So trying larp, NEVVAH! Know what it is, yup! Thats why im not doing it...

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Skragger View Post
    ...Nascar with a guy in a Semi going the other way around the couse?
    Doesn't have to be a Semi, just make half the cars go the other way! -Bring back Figure-8 racing!! Now THAT I would watch!
    Melissia Wrote: "I think the secret to getting more people to stop calling you an arrogant elitist douchebag is to stop being an arrogant elitist douchebag."

First-Captain

Well i do karate, full body contact! Altough we dont actualy aim for head and groin, but if you leave it unprotecected, you learn the hard way to keep your guard up! (note: we dont kick/punch in the groin, we just stop a few inches before it. On the head you'll get a kick/punch but its not so hard you get a concusion or anything). Besides we practice with pads on hands and feet, so when you got hit you easily shake it off.

Its a personal opinion! I think al martial-arts are beautifull sports, and agree that head/groin are off limits (nobody likes that). But the way i leard it you're more on your guard.

So trying larp, NEVVAH! Know what it is, yup! Thats why im not doing it...
    Shotokan, or one of the other variants? (Just curious--I did a bit of goju-shorei in college.)

I've been doing northern shaolin long fist for the last 6 years or so. We don't pad up when we spar, but are *very* cognizant of power, etc.

The point I was trying to make, is that all combative sports (including combat larps) have safety rules for a reason. C-Larps are more stringent just because there's not that mandatory baseline for training that we have in a dojo/kwon/dojang, etc. So you gotta cut 'em a little slack.

Now I can respect your "nevvah!" I was there myself for years. Then I tried it, and actually had a hellova lot of fun. (Beautiful girls in bodices helps too...)

@Skragger: I can't think of anything that would make golf, or nascar for that matter, worth my time to watch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast