BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Default Good Luck to the Newlyweds.

Congratulations to Prince William and Kate Middleton. I must confess, though. Back in 1993 when news came out that Crown Prince Naruhito of Japan was getting married, I had this impish hope that he and his Princess would immediately have a daughter. I imagined the young princess might eventually go to school in England, fall in love with a young British royal, and together they'd lay the foundation of the Nisso-Anglican Empire.

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Chaplain

Ah! And what a wedding it was! As a loyal servant of the Commonwealth, I woke up at 5AM (to account for timezone differences), turned on my invitation, and promptly fell back asleep on the couch. Woke up about 3 hours late for work.

Who knew "I was watching the wedding" was a valid excuse for being late!
    Hi ho! Hi ho! Its off to Krump we go!

Librarian

People actually care about the scion of unelected spongers getting married? All the crap going on in the world; conflicts raging, economies crashing, upcoming elections in Canada, voting-reform referendums in Blighty, civil liberties being snatched left, right and centre and people choose to invest in the wedding of an anachronism.

Stop the world, I want to get off.
    Touched by His Noodly Appendage

Adeptus Custodes

I was there. Took pictures too, mind you thery're terrriblle pics so I won't put them up. The RAF honour guard where I was standing (whitehall, just at the entrance to downing st) were the image of Mordians.
    More Necromunda please.

Chapter-Master

I watched it on Tele...glad i'm not having a church wedding next year...don't fancy all the Hymning...

You can say that there shouldn't be all the fuss over it when theres so much else going on...maybe to a certainextent you have a point (8 of the 10 top BBC news stories today were about the wedding). Where the brides dress came from shouldn't be on the news over the storm in america, or the wars in Libya

But you can say the exact same thing about the Football. Or what some Z list celebrity has done to make a few quid in the spotlight. And these frequently make the "news".

And frankly I'd rather read/watch the wedding, the national pride and patriotism and feel proud to be a Brit, than hear about what some Football managers complaining about, or Jordan's new wedding plans

(For our international bretheren...Jordan is a skank famous for being a untrustworthy Skank...imagine Paris Hilton, who used to be a glamour model, has 3 kids by 3 guys, marries and divorces people faster than I can change my socks and is willing to say or do anything to sell a story to some tabloid)
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chaplain

I can see why the wedding has been given so much coverage. When we look at the news these days its all "War in Zanzibar kills 400 children" and "storm in Japan melts anime factory" and "economic in crisis cuts executive wages by 0.5%, 1,000 laid off to recouperate losses". Its very grim news, here in Canada, a recent study showed that stress, and depression were at an all time high, and while some of it is people jumping on the "mental health, I'm totally stressed, cause like, jersey shore sucked last night" bandwagon, a lot of it is more serious.

This is a very fluffy distraction. They're saying 'Look! There is still good in this world! There's still love, and hugging, and kissing, and princesses getting married! Its something to make people turn the grimdark off and look at something bright and happy.

I think its good, is it something that's worth all the pomp and circumstance? No. Is it what we needed right now? Definitly.
    Hi ho! Hi ho! Its off to Krump we go!

Quote Originally Posted by Hive Mind View Post
    People actually care about the scion of unelected spongers getting married?
    Yes they do, no body does pageantry like we Brits, a good day I'd say, celebrating both the wedding and our heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    glad i'm not having a church wedding next year...don't fancy all the Hymning...
    Kind of hear you, mines 53 weeks yesterday, but there is something nice about the tradition, we've gone for the church on balance not because we're religious but because it feels right.
    Curious Constructs - http://www.curiousconstructs.co.uk
    Kirton Games - http://www.kirtongames.com

Librarian

But you can say the exact same thing about the Football. Or what some Z list celebrity has done to make a few quid in the spotlight. And these frequently make the "news".
    And I do say the exact same thing about other non-issues. Humanity disappoints me greatly.

And frankly I'd rather read/watch the wedding, the national pride and patriotism and feel proud to be a Brit, than hear about what some Football managers complaining about, or Jordan's new wedding plans
    Watching a member of the (German/Greek) royal family get married makes you feel patriotic? Because they live in London? I've had falafel that's more authentically British than the royals are.

One more year in this cess-pit and I'm free to escape. Literally counting down the days.
    Touched by His Noodly Appendage

Chapter-Master

We found churchs to be a bit pricy...and we couldn't settle on one! So simple registry office it is. Its the day before UK Gamesday next year, so it'll be the first year in 5 i haven't gone to....

And yeah we need the happiness! The whole worlds largely gone to **it so a nice day away from the grim realisation that we're all screwed is nice.

And hey! Extra day off work!

They also reckon that the Duchess of Cambridge and the marridge is likely to bring more money to the country than the entire Olympics will
    Last edited by DrLove42; 04-29-2011 at 02:02 PM.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hive Mind View Post
    Watching a member of the (German/Greek) royal family get married makes you feel patriotic? Because they live in London? I've had falafel that's more authentically British than the royals are.
    Authentically British? You mean Anglo-saxon? Celtic? Norman? Norse? Or perhaps something more recent? From the earliest times we're rather a mixed lot don't you think? They are our Royal Family. End of.

One more year in this cess-pit and I'm free to escape. Literally counting down the days.
    Well don't let the door hit you on the way out eh?
    Curious Constructs - http://www.curiousconstructs.co.uk
    Kirton Games - http://www.kirtongames.com

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast