BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Wait, I'll grant for the sake of argument that your position is supported by the rulebook. But the FAQ? Your position permits a squad in reserve to split into combat squads, thus permitting one combat squad to embark on its dedicated transport (if it is also held in reserves) and the other to remain on foot in reserves. Whether or not the rules allow this is, practically, the major point of disagreement between our two positions.

The space marine FAQ says, "Q: Can you take a Drop Pod with a 10-man squad and then put a combat squad in it, deploying the other combat squad on the table or leave it in reserve but not in the Drop Pod? A: No ..."

Right or wrong, authoritative or not, the FAQ clearly disagrees with you as to whether you can split a squad in reserve and deploy one combat squad in their dedicated transport if that DT is a drop pod. I see no principled distinction between a drop pod and any other transport (say, a Razorback) that would cause us to think the FAQ would answer differently if the question was, "Can you take a Razorback with a 10-man squad and then put a combat squad in it, deploying the other combat squad on the table, or leave it in reserve but not in the Razorback?"

You do?

Chapter-Master

no, I have already explained that the FAQ is says they can't combat squad.
    This has no conflict with strategic deployment.
    This just means that a squad placed into reserve may not combat squad.

ie, they enter the board as a 10 man unit during tactical deployment.

So ... in your view a 10-man squad may not be deployed to Reserve and combat squad?

In other words, your view is that a unit kept in Reserve is deployed within the meaning of the Combat Squads rule, but, notwithstanding that fact, may not split into combat squads?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    So ... in your view a 10-man squad may not be deployed to Reserve and combat squad?

In other words, your view is that a unit kept in Reserve is deployed within the meaning of the Combat Squads rule, but, notwithstanding that fact, may not split into combat squads?
    that is not what I said.

I said they are deployed strategically. The FAQ states they may not combat squad.

We have already been over this. This is not a conflict with the FAQ at all. This is what you would call a clarification. For example, the FAQ Doom of Malanti cannot special power, 'spirit leech', does not work on non vehicle units in vehicles, even though the rules on page 66 explicitly state that you just measure to the hull of the vehicle to for 'effects' of units in vehicles.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 06-03-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    lemmy rephrase: 'hate' mail.

Also, I have demonstrated that it is supported by the rulebook and FAQ. Nothing conflicts with the rules.
    You just disagree with this.
    We'll have to disagree that you have demonstrated your position as being supported by the rulebook and/or the FAQ. I certainly do not agree that you have demonstrated anything except commitment to your position. The entire concept of strategic deployment is an invention not in the text.
    Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene

Chapter-Master

no, I have gone through examples, and how even the combat squad rules is coherent with the exceptions in the rulebook.

Jwolf, you need to look up the definition of deploy. This is not an 'invention', this is the text. They should have either 1) used a different word, or 2) defined what deploy officially means.

You are bringing your own conceptions to how a rulebook *should* work, but the reality is that you can base your decisions purely off the text.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 06-03-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Tynskel, your entire approach is essentially inventing in my view, and I suspect Jwolf's as well. To my eyes what you are doing is equivalent to looking to a dictionary to figure out what Aristotle means by telos, instead of looking to the Aristotelian corpus. It's just not how you approach a technical text.

That aside, we have indeed been over all this before, but I am still evidently unclear on what "your view" is. I thought your view was that (i) units may only combat squad when they are strategically deployed or disembarking a drop pod and (ii) units may combat squad every time they are strategically deployed or disembark a drop pod. Now it sounds like you are saying that in your view a unit may never combat squad when it is strategically deployed to reserve.
    Last edited by Nabterayl; 06-03-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Chapter-Master

1) Pre-game deployment is strategic deployment.
    2) Reserves is a form of strategic deployment.

You can only combat squad when you strategically deploy. Check.
    The FAQ states you may not combat squad while in reserves. Check.

I don't see what the problem is.

It's not a problem, just confusion.

In [url=http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showpost.php?p=139211&postcount=106]this post[/url] I guessed that you would agree that a ten-man tactical squad with a Razorback can be deployed such that five models are deployed in the Razorback in Reserve and five men are deployed in Reserve on foot. In [url=http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showpost.php?p=139215&postcount=107]this post[/url] you appeared to say I had that exactly right. As a result, I incorporated this into my understanding of "your view."

The FAQ would not allow that situation, though, since the FAQ does not allow squads in reserve to split into combat squads.

Do you see why it might appear that the FAQ does not support "your view?" True, the FAQ says nothing about how to deduce the meaning of deploy, let alone that strategic deployment doesn't exist, but the FAQ does forbid a ten-man squad splitting in reserve, as you appeared to believe they could do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    1) Pre-game deployment is strategic deployment.
    2) Reserves is a form of strategic deployment.
    You can only combat squad when you strategically deploy. Check.
    The FAQ states you may not combat squad while in reserves. Check.
    I don't see what the problem is.
    So, if I understand you, you are stating:
    - A Unit may Combat Squad whenever it is "strategically" deployed.
    - Any Unit placed on the table during Deploy Forces, as well as any Unit placed in Reserves, has been "strategically" deployed.
    - The FAQ overwrites the Combat Squad ruleand prevents Unit placed in Reserves, and "strategically" deployed, from being allowed to combat Squad.

Is this correct?

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast