BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    In my mind it was a rules change. In your mind it was clarification. There's a long thread on that one.

There are plenty of people who consider the Deployment Phase of the game deploying all units, whether onto the board or into Reserves. This FAQ was a rules change for them, changing all tactics and uses of the units.
    When placing models in reserve it was clearly stated they 'were not deployed'.
    It's just a lot of people misread, or misunderstood the rules.
    It was a clarification, because no rules were changed.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleDV8 View Post
    no, it was clearly stated they were not deployed onto the board. This is called context, something people often forget about when using 'RAW'. The view of 'RAW' sometimes forgets about all the previous rules. If you continue reading the section, and how the reserves are used, it is clear that units were deployed into reserves.

This was a rules change.

There was a whole thread on this. Something like 200 posts, most of them flame attacks (I may have been the flamer winner, oh wait...)
    Last edited by Tynskel; 05-04-2011 at 10:19 AM.

The FAQ for Space Marines changed how combat squads work. You declare combat squads when they are actually placed onto the board.

Ex. roll reserves for BA 10 man Assault Squad. The successfully enter. Declare Combat Squad, deep strike each 5 man unit separately.
    I loved reading this - how did the crow taste?

I win.
    Last edited by Jwolf; 05-04-2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: ..... You know better, Matt.
    Matt Kibbe
    So forever in the future, Shall I battle as of yore,
    Dying to be born a fighter, But to die again, once more.

In my mind it was a rules change. In your mind it was clarification. There's a long thread on that one.
    There are plenty of people who consider the Deployment Phase of the game deploying all units, whether onto the board or into Reserves. This FAQ was a rules change for them, changing all tactics and uses of the units.
    I remember that thread. I still don't understand how one can claim that a Unit that isn't Deployed (" . . . players may choose not to deploy one or more of the units in their army . . .", rulebook, p. 94), has been Deployed. However, we don't need to get into it again. You have your interpretation, I have mine.

Chapter-Master

This had to do with:
    1) the section's context. The reference frame being the board.
    2) the wording for reserves
    3) how the use of the word reserves changes between pre-game and in-game.

This is an interpretation of the rules, backed up by the rules themselves, hence RAW. To me, it is just another example that RAW is not a 'tight' as people believe it is.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eusebius Rex View Post
    I loved reading this - how did the crow taste?

I win.
    bwahahah!
    Someone likes to keep a grudge.

What did you win? +10 Internets?

Since that FAQ came out, I now ask my opponents if we want to play using the FAQ wording or not. When I am not playing at a tournament, most people I play with never even realized that the FAQ changed how they played the game. They just kept on playing the same way I have been playing.
    Last edited by Jwolf; 05-04-2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Edited the original, too.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleDV8 View Post
    Don't get him started on this. We went around on this for a very long time a while back.
    When you hear hoof-beats, it's best to think horses not zebras.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by hisdudeness View Post
    Don't get him started on this. We went around on this for a very long time a while back.
    we don't need to get me started. People can search the forums and find the 200+ post thread. There are not too many that have that many posts.

In my own self inflated ego way, I like to think that GW singled me out and ruled specifically against me.

However, it does go to show: GW would not have FAQed this if it weren't for a FAQ. Many many many people were playing the way I was playing, and in their minds, it was correct. GW decided that they play the game differently.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 05-04-2011 at 10:06 PM.

However, it does go to show: GW would not have FAQed this if it weren't for a FAQ. Many many many people were playing the way I was playing, and in their minds, it was correct. GW decided that they play the game differently.
    To me, the FAQ seemed to only be intended to verify that a Unit could not be split with half Deployed and the other half placed in Reserve. It doesn't even address whether Units placed in Reserve counts as Deployed for the Combat Squad rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Culven View Post
    To me, the FAQ seemed to only be intended to verify that a Unit could not be split with half Deployed and the other half placed in Reserve. It doesn't even address whether Units placed in Reserve counts as Deployed for the Combat Squad rule.
    A: No, because squads that are placed in reserve may not
    break down into combat squads.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast