BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

Default If you were a codex writer...

OK ground rules:
    1. This is not a rumour thread, DON'T TREAT IT LIKE ONE!
    2. Basically the idea behind this thread is to say what you would change about the current dex's if you were a writer for them. This can include fluff, rules the 'Why collect a such-and-such-a army?" bit at the beginning, whatever. Just try and justify it
    3. Not so much a rule but more like advice; don't make big walls of text or try to re-write the ENTIRE codex.

Right to start off, I would make a vehicle in the eldar dex that has an "assault vehicle" type of rule. It is so annoying trying to get a squad of aspects into combat when your opponent sees the transport, takes the turn they have before they're assaulted and redeploys their unit. Honestly, something like a Venom, 5-man squads, would be perfect! Would definitley make the eldar more mobile; like they're meant to be
    Master Bryss and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    Hi, I'm Titans newest recruit. PREPARE TO BE PURGED!!!

Chapter-Master

I would tweak the GK codex to make the sub-par units more competitive with the ones that we see on all the good lists. I would also give GKs back fearless. Because taking leadership tests annoys me.

GKSS Nemesis force weapon prices would be adjusted so they would actually be worth taking. Falchions would be clarified or repriced to either grant +2A or be cheaper and only +1A.

Brotherhood champion would get 2 wounds, because a 1 wound model that expensive is hard to justify over the other, better HQs. He should be able to take a personal teleporter, too. That would make Interceptors more popular, though Interceptors themselves are perfectly viable.

Swords would work against shooting attacks. There's currently not much reason to take them over other NFWs.

Crowe would get the IC rule, but keep his 'give enemies furious charge' rule.

Stern would either be cheaper, or get some extra stuff to make him worth his extra cost over a normal brother captain. Mordrak's squad would get back access to psycannons, too, in order to make them worth it over a normal GM and Terminator unit.

Normal Brother Captains would get something to give you a reason not to just upgrade to a Grand Master.

Taking one Inquisitor would unlock multiple Henchmen squads, but they would take up FOC slots. Coteaz would stay the same. Karamazov and especially valeria would get better rules to make them worth taking.

The 'odder' Inquisitor wargear would get a bit of a boost, so that there were more viable options for Inquisitor loadouts. Currently you either take Inquisitors for the henchmen, Grenades or another Psycannon.

Techmarines would be improved a little. Probably just give them a second wound. They're not bad, they're just too expensive for a 1 wound model. A psycannon option would be sweet, too.

The assassins (other than the Vindicare) would get a bit of a boost to make them worth it. Same thing with some of the crappier henchmen models (why ever take an Arco-Flagellant or Daemonhost over Crusaders or DCAs?).

Storm Ravens would either get cheaper (even the BA Storm Raven is a touch overpriced) or get a bit of a boost.

Dreadknights would get decent guns. Currently they simply can't compete with Psyrifle Dreads.

I could go into tweaks for subpar wargear, too, but that would be too much work.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

I mentioned something like this in an earlier post about 'dex's. I'd love to see every army get two 'dex's. The first would be the standard codex, and the second would be an add on with rules for varying armies and the likes. Example:

Codex Space Marines: Vanilla space marines only
    Codex Chapters: Adds in special rules for all the mainstream chapters, and maybe a new special char/units for those chapters (similar to how Codex Armageddon added in Salamanders)

Codex Orks: Normal orky codex
    Codex Tribes: Ork tribes like Speed Freeks, and Goffs

Codex: Tau/Codex: Colonies
    Codex: Eldar/Codex: Craftworld
    Codex: Tyranids/Codex: Hives
    Codex: Chaos Space Marines: Codex: The Dark Gods

etc, etc.
    Hi ho! Hi ho! Its off to Krump we go!

Battle-Brother

With the Tau Codex I would;

-Make the Devilfish for Pathfinders have "Scouting" or don't force the unit to take one. Forcing them to take a transport that can't help during the scout move phase doesn't make sense.

-Make Kroot have upgrades that show off their gene-stealing talents. I find the Kroot right now boring, just to pay for a unit that sits in a forested area so they don't die is so exciting...

-Allow Firewarriors to shoot into combat with a 1 causing auto kill to your own unit that your shooting though, or give them overwatch when they sacrifice their movement phase.

Those are thing I would add to the Tau Codex if I was writing it.
    The dice decide my fate, and that's a shame..In these trembling hands my faith

Veteran-Sergeant

I would like to see tau pulse rifles having two fire modes, a heavy 1 30" or an assault 2 18" one, I would also like to see pulse carbines being more powerful; like blast and any wounds bar the first one cause -1 to pinning test. The railgun rumour about drawing a straight line is an idea i'd like to put in as well. Also more experimental stuff; they're supposed to have a fast technological expansion after all.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by mstingray View Post
    I would like to see tau pulse rifles having two fire modes, a heavy 1 30" or an assault 2 18" one, I would also like to see pulse carbines being more powerful; like blast and any wounds bar the first one cause -1 to pinning test. The railgun rumour about drawing a straight line is an idea i'd like to put in as well. Also more experimental stuff; they're supposed to have a fast technological expansion after all.
    I like the idea of experimental stuff. Maybe drop something like: I dunno..
    Pulse Grenade Launcher: 18", Str 2D6, AP4, assauly 1, highly volitile, causes pinning.
    Highly volitile: Do to its experimental nature, if I double 1 is rolled while testing for the strength it misfires and gribbles the model carrying it. Boomsplat.
    Hi ho! Hi ho! Its off to Krump we go!

Brother-Captain

I'd write the Tau as more of a Star Trek Federation thing and get rid of the creepy bits. I think it makes them a better foil for the Imperium and the setting in general by eliminating the subtle manipulation of member species. Rules wise I'd give the pulse rifles a First Rank Fire, Second Rank Fire or the ability to treat them as rapid fire with a double-tap range of 24." I find my guardsmen out shooting my Tau opponents by an awful lot much of the time and that doesn't seem right from what little I know about the Tau.
    And make Kais from Fire Warrior a character. Little dude's earned that much.

I'd remove the embarrassment of being associated with Matt Ward by prematurely placing him on a funeral pyre fueled by copies of all the codex/ army books he authored.

Librarian

As a writer/designer? It's hard to say. It's difficult to pinpoint the origin of so much that's bad about current Codex design, so it's impossible to say what I'd do in that role. If the design briefs handed to the Studio dictate as much as I think they do, I'd rather quit the job than try to work with them.

Given free reign, though? I'd re-write every single paragraph that Mat Ward's sullied with his artless wordspew, retconning it out of existence harder than the Squats, Zoats and Fimir combined.

For Grey Knights, I'd clean up some of the rules and and fluff problems people have. DarkLink covered a lot of things I'm sure other Grey Knights players will repeat anyway so I won't mention them.

I still think it would be neat to see Grey Knights on Jet Bike Steeds wielding Nemesis Force Lances. :P

But for other things...

I'd turn the Inquisitors back into Inquisitor Lords, and reintroduce Inquisitors as an Elites choice. I'd make Storm Shields a choice that appears in at least one place in the army other than a Special Character. I don't want to steal the thunder of other armies, but the Grey Knights should have at least one squad with the option to be all armed up with swords and shields. I'd love to replace all the vehicles (except maybe the Storm Raven) with ones more fitting with the Grey Knights aesthetic.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast