BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Default Questions about Warhammer 40k Universe to be used for Fan Fiction

    First time posting here, but seems the place to ask questions about Warhammer 40k.

    My fanfiction story is about a 3d ship I created that ends up trans-versing the multi-verses. Right now it is in Star Trek. I want one of the universes it goes to to be Warhammer 40k, but I'm relatively new to the universe so I have a few questions about it.

    First: Does anyone know when Dead Men Walking happened? (I want to include this book for my fanfiction, but only if it is in the time frame I've chosen: 997-999.M41)

    Second: From readying the Favorite "secret of the 40k universe" I plan to use the origins that The Emperor of Man is an Old One that has changed his form to human. Now my ship is from stargate universe and in stargate the Ancients have ascended and become powerful energy beings.

    I was planning on the Ancient Ascended Being's power being similar to the Emperor's power because they are kind of analogues to each other. Now the question is how do you think the Imperium would react to the presence of another being that is similar in power to the Emperor?

    Third: Would there be any way for the IoM to allow the ship which is built on advanced technology of human/alien/Ancients origin to share it with IoM?

    Stargate: The Legend of Arcturus Maximus Primus
    It is my first Fanfiction, and so it isn't the best. However, it gets better with each chapter both grammatically and story wise.

    Thanks in advance! I've just been doing the outline/story ideas for the Fourth Book which would deal with Warhammer 40k. So it is a bit off into the future before it is written.

    AOP

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Omega Protocol View Post
    First: Does anyone know when Dead Men Walking happened? (I want to include this book for my fanfiction, but only if it is in the time frame I've chosen: 997-999.M41)
    I don't; somebody else might.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Omega Protocol View Post
    Now the question is how do you think the Imperium would react to the presence of another being that is similar in power to the Emperor?
    I expect it would depend upon how the individual in question behaved. If he espoused the Imperial Creed, I expect he would be revered by some and viewed as an incredibly dangerous heretic by others, and the question of whether this person was a male living saint (or possibly something greater) would be a potentially explosive one as the Ordo Hereticus and the Adeptus Ministorum hashed out what they thought about the person.

    If he didn't espouse the Imperial Creed, I expect he'd be treated as just another Chaos-empowered threat, and if he told them that was silly (as, coming from another universe, he very well might) he'd be regarded as a fool and a dupe of Chaos, as well. It's not as if the idea of another being similar in power to the Emperor is unusual, after all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Omega Protocol View Post
    Third: Would there be any way for the IoM to allow the ship which is built on advanced technology of human/alien/Ancients origin to share it with IoM?
    Much would depend upon how the ship in question was presented to the Adeptus Mechanicus. The central point to keep in mind about technological advancement and the Cult Mechanicus is that the Adeptus Mechanicus believes that all knowledge (all good knowledge, anyway) was once known to Mankind, and Mankind's current body of knowledge is but a fraction of what it was. Within this theological framework, technological progress can (and does) take place, but only if the researcher in question believes he is re-discovering lost knowledge. If you are of a religious bent yourself you may find this easy to understand: when a believer studies his scriptures (whatever scriptures those may be), he is working from a fixed body of information that may inspire him to dizzying heights of philosophy (consider how much excellent philosophy has been inspired by meditations on holy texts). From the believer's standpoint, the work so produced is simply an elucidation of what the holy text says. However, a non-believer may well feel that in fact the believer has simply been inspired by his text, and created a work of philosophy that is related, but really its own thing. Which is correct depends largely upon your point of view.

    Similarly, a tech-priest might make a close study of an STC blueprint of a twin-linked bolter, and be inspired to create a twin-chambered boltgun with a synchronizing apparatus so that the two barrels fire not simultaneously but in rhythm. From our point of view, the tech-priest has been inspired by his blueprint to create a brand new device: the storm bolter. From the tech-priest's point of view, both the storm bolter and the twin-linked bolter are attempts to replicate a hypothetical twin-barreled boltgun that existed over 10,000 years ago, and the storm bolter is simply the better copy.

    What this means for your ship is that if the tech-priests who encounter it have reason to relate it to their existing technology, they might view it (or might be convinced to view it) as a wondrous example of ancient human technological prowess, undoubtedly the greatest archaeotechnological find of the millennium - possibly the greatest find ever. If it doesn't look to them like existing human technology, though (and it sounds like it wouldn't), then it would be viewed as tech-heresy, and while certain greedy or more secular-minded individuals might overlook that for their own reasons, the possibility of tech transfer would be virtually nil.

  3. #3

    Default

    On dead men walking, It mentions Ciaphas cain as being like an imperial saint- so probably some time after he died. He was around during the thirteenth black crusade which was the most recent big thing to happen in 40k fiction. So I'd say deadmen walking is pretty much "now" in the 40k universe.


    I'd say that the imperium could use xenos tech. the emepror wanted access to the eldar webways and necromundan nobles for example use tau tech. However this would probably be a big no-no in impertial Eyes and the Ordos Xenos would probably want to stamp it out.
    More Necromunda please.

  4. #4

    Default

    Was hoping that another being like the Emperor would be unusual. lol An Ascended Being is kind of like a Q from star trek, but not as powerful or a troublemaker. They prefer to leave the mortal realm alone, and thanks for the feed back Nabterayl! Ordo Hereticus would be interesting to see what they would do, and I agree with your ideas that they would probably pursue the Ascended being either way he choose.

    Background: The Ship is built from the knowledge of the Ancients who created humans, and look just like humans except more evolved compared to us. Then other technology is used from a race of aliens that studied the knowledge of the Ancients to help with their development. Humans became the heirs of the knowledge from both the Ancients and the Alien race and built the ship. So maybe it could be spun that the technology is based on human ancestors knowledge creating a loop hole...


    Thanks Grailkeeper! That time frame is perfect, because the basic story idea is that the ship was brought directly into the warp using it's interversal-drive. This was unexpected and with no gellar field of any kind the occupants that weren't in stasis within a time-dilation field were destroyed leaving the ship floating. However the Ascended being purged the warp from the ship as soon as he could, and being unprepared as he was he was stuck sustaining the field. However after ages upon ages the ship has been covered with other ships forming into a space hulk that re-appears during the black crusade. The Ascended being releases his field in explosive force purifying the space hulk, but not getting rid of the creatures that occupy it. The release of energy is visible to those of the warp and draws the attention of a few major players due to the amount of power released. So psykers of the Imperium sense this and I was thinking one of the grey knight units in the area is immediately sent to investigate. Others come and becomes a slug fest.

    Now I was thinking that they discover the ship in the core of the space hulk and wake the crew that was in stasis. The human crew then either end up working with the imperium of man or go their own way. Either way I thought it would be cool if they showed up during dead men walking at the end.

    On a side note Grailkeeper is NECROMUNDA OMNIBUS 1 the necromunda you're talking about?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Omega Protocol View Post
    Was hoping that another being like the Emperor would be unusual. lol An Ascended Being is kind of like a Q from star trek, but not as powerful or a troublemaker. They prefer to leave the mortal realm alone, and thanks for the feed back Nabterayl! Ordo Hereticus would be interesting to see what they would do, and I agree with your ideas that they would probably pursue the Ascended being either way he choose.
    Well, I would say it's unusual. But I think the various philosophical factions within the Imperium would be able to fit it into their various worldviews, rather than being left going "Holy cow, I ... I just don't know what to think about this."

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Omega Protocol View Post
    Background: The Ship is built from the knowledge of the Ancients who created humans, and look just like humans except more evolved compared to us. Then other technology is used from a race of aliens that studied the knowledge of the Ancients to help with their development. Humans became the heirs of the knowledge from both the Ancients and the Alien race and built the ship. So maybe it could be spun that the technology is based on human ancestors knowledge creating a loop hole...
    Could be ... truth is, it's all in how you present things when it comes to the Mechanicus. It's entirely plausible that an actual machine from the Dark Age of Technology could be labeled as tech-heresy if presented incorrectly to the Lords of Mars.


    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Omega Protocol View Post
    Thanks Grailkeeper! That time frame is perfect, because the basic story idea is that the ship was brought directly into the warp using it's interversal-drive. This was unexpected and with no gellar field of any kind the occupants that weren't in stasis within a time-dilation field were destroyed leaving the ship floating. However the Ascended being purged the warp from the ship as soon as he could, and being unprepared as he was he was stuck sustaining the field. However after ages upon ages the ship has been covered with other ships forming into a space hulk that re-appears during the black crusade. The Ascended being releases his field in explosive force purifying the space hulk, but not getting rid of the creatures that occupy it. The release of energy is visible to those of the warp and draws the attention of a few major players due to the amount of power released. So psykers of the Imperium sense this and I was thinking one of the grey knight units in the area is immediately sent to investigate. Others come and becomes a slug fest.
    That all seems quite plausible to me. Wouldn't have to be Grey Knights, though; investigating space hulks - even ones suspected of being plagued with daemons - falls within the purview of regular space marine terminators. Of course, if the Grey Knights suspected there was a sufficiently important daemonic presence (mistaking the Ascended Being's activity for those of a hugely powerful daemon), it would make sense they'd move to neutralize it.

  6. #6

    Default

    Well, I would say it's unusual. But I think the various philosophical factions within the Imperium would be able to fit it into their various worldviews, rather than being left going "Holy cow, I ... I just don't know what to think about this."

    That all seems quite plausible to me. Wouldn't have to be Grey Knights, though; investigating space hulks - even ones suspected of being plagued with daemons - falls within the purview of regular space marine terminators. Of course, if the Grey Knights suspected there was a sufficiently important daemonic presence (mistaking the Ascended Being's activity for those of a hugely powerful daemon), it would make sense they'd move to neutralize it.
    Yeah, that was what I was thinking that the Ascended Being would attract the Grey Knights with them believing that he was a hugely powerful daemon. The Grey Knights are already around the Eye of Terror since the time would be the beginning of the 13th Black Crusade for the ship to appear.

    The GKs thinking that the Ascended Being was a herald of the coming crusade would investigate probably with help of a space marine chapter.

    Could be ... truth is, it's all in how you present things when it comes to the Mechanicus. It's entirely plausible that an actual machine from the Dark Age of Technology could be labeled as tech-heresy if presented incorrectly to the Lords of Mars.
    That is one thing I dislike about the Mechanicus is that they do not advance technology that fast. If something has been discovered it has to be purified before it is implemented.

    Thanks for the help!

    Lately I've been thinking of what should happen with the highly advance ship. In past it has been writing wrongs, and establishing alliance of the various superpowers in a universe that would last millions of years. So ideally the crew of the ship would form an alliance between the Imperium, Eldar, and the Tau. To fight the Necrons, Chaos, and Tyrnaids.

    But the Imperium is so vast, and set in their ways that it would be almost impossible for that to happen. I've thought about the ship conquering the Imperium of Man, but that would take forever. Second I've thought about the Imperium actually join up even though various factions within the IoM still appose the crew of AMP.

    What do you guys think about this issue?

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •