BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Chaos, A way of Life?

Hi peeps,

Thought for the day, Imagine waking up on a world where the Imperium was the enemy. Where your dad was fighting in the Blood Pact and your greatest ambition was to fly a Hell Talon.

In the Eternal war there are TWO sides. We know about the Glorious guard and the Adeptus astartes, the worlds of the imperium and the majesty of Terra but what about the thousands of Chaos held systems and the society they have. It can't all be wipe out and sacrifice to the Gods. In order to create the Sons of Sek and the Blood Pact, there must be massive populations that want to fight for Chaos. Its unfeasible that the Long War has been fought with just Traitor Guardsmen and the remnants of the Traitor Legions.

Dan Abnett has touched on this with the Ghost series and the new Blood Gorgon Books show some inkling of the way Chaos brings societies into the fold but I can imagine that as an alternative Human society there must be a huge amount of Fluff that could be written about it.

Any Thoughts??
    Only in Death does Duty End

Most of time thye portrait population of chaos world as slaves but there is hole in this thinking, slaves wont work as good as fanatical followers so there must be a wolrd with ppl aspiring to be in chaos warband or happly work every day in factory thats make bolter rounds for legions.
    ....shhh, it's okay, it's just me.... I`m Beast at the back of your head.

Chapter-Master

Mummy when I grow up I want to be a chaos spawn and rip the arms of those silly billy's who believe in that dead guy!
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Battle-Brother

I agree with u GrenAcid, think of the Dark Mechanicum forge worlds, those guys were 100% chaos but not in the sacrifice and be damned way. (I'm thinking of Dark Adeptus, the Grey Knights Book).

Taking that line of thought there must be Agri worlds, Hive worlds etc all working away to keep the Forces of chaos supplied with men and supplies. There may even be Chaos held systems that haven't seen war since the great crusade (its a big galaxy).

If I remember correctly don't the Chaos Legions believe that they are fighting to SAVE humanity??

How the forces of chaos manage to sustain themselves requires more suspension of disbelief than most other areas of the 40k fluff, and that's saying something! (Don't get me started on the "10,000 year-old" Traitor Legions, I could rant about that all night!)

Dan Abnett and Henry Zou's fluff allude to entire worlds and systems that follow chaos; an example are the "chaos marches" that are apparently just outside the Astronomicon from the Sabbat Worlds. In these areas, people have an actual society, with government, economies, families, and a future. I think this is both more "realistic" and more interesting than the standard chaos-world schmear, where bazillions of wretched, emaciated slaves are worked to death, although this is probably the fate of worlds conquered by chaos, such as Gereon (and even there, not so much.)

Brother-Captain

Oppression and a desire for power.

They rebel and turn to the other side because of promises to relieve them of the burden of the Imperium. The Imperium are harsh for a reason, but the citizenry won't usually understand that, they'll just see it as oppression for oppression's sake, which is almost certainly true for many planetary governors.

Which are they going to side with? The oppressive *******s in their high towers or the whispering voice which promises them liberation and power?

Battle-Brother

what about a whole story arc from the perspctive of the chaos forces. u know boy growing up leaving home joining the blood pact or whatever.....

or a traitor group of marines always fighting 4 chaos never having been loyalists going over to the emperors side?

a group of choas seperatists worshiping the emperor in a cult like way?

any thoughts
    Last edited by dmcq; 08-19-2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling sry

Battle-Brother

I say take a line from how Librarian Zahariel El'Zurias in the HH novel "Descent of Angels" was fleshed out.

Here's Chaos Bob. Chaos Bob is a kid with a bit of drive and loads of imagination. Chaos Bob grew up on a world teeming with both danger and adventuristic pursuits -- the basic "coming into manhood" shlop.

He was also weened on tales and myths of the Great Betrayal thousands of years ago, of when the Father of Man betrayed His people and left His sons in the midst of a Great War of galactic conquest. Chaos Bob was taught the majesty and falacies of the greatest Heroes of Chaos, the legendary Primarchs, of that bygone era in equal measure, and he came to not only idolize them for their strengths, but empathize with their conflicts, whether internal, external, or metaphysical.

Why? Because for all their nobility, strength, and intelligence, he came to realize that they were still human, if only barely. As Chaos Bob grew older, he eventually wanted to be one of them, to walk in the ceramite bootsteps of giants that populated his homeworld. He wanted to see what they saw, to fight where they've fought, to go anywhere in the galaxy... anthing to get off his "boring" rock of burning skies and oceans of boiling blood.

In short, Chaos Bob was bored and ambitious.

There's a start to the epic that will one day become a hard-backed omnibus: The Journey of Chaos Bob.

Or Jane, because the cults of Chaos is a non-discriminatory ticket to everlasting damnation.

@up Thats why most HH novels about marines sucks.

Looking forward to "blood gorgon" wich might be somthing fresh, nothing like "dark disciple" also called lobotomy-dril....it was so boring.
    ....shhh, it's okay, it's just me.... I`m Beast at the back of your head.

Evil Midnight Bomber

Why does every book about Chaos have to include the word "dark" in the title? I swear, sometimes I think it's required by law.
    Oh lord I've got 'em, I've got the...
    ...it's a blog. Read it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast