BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Converting my Dark Eldar to 5th ed. Need help!

Hi all,
    After a long 5th ed hiatus, I'll be getting back into the game soon. However, my hiatus has indeed been a long one, and I missed the new Dark Eldar release. I already have a bunch of DE stuff, so I was wondering if you all could give me a rough estimate of how many points of models I already have, and if they would be effective with the new book:
    •Archon
    •Drahzar
    •2 Incubi
    •2 Raiders
    •1 Ravager
    •Lelith Hesperax
    •10 Wyches
    •Talos/Cronos
    •5 Jetbikes
    •6 Kabalite Trueborn w/ 4 blasters & 2 cannons
    •2 DE w/ Dark Lances
    •4 DE w/ Blaster/shredder looking things
    •4 DE w/ Splinter Cannons
    •30 something more DE warriors

Thanks
    -Dunadan

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Dunadan View Post
    Hi all,
    After a long 5th ed hiatus, I'll be getting back into the game soon. However, my hiatus has indeed been a long one, and I missed the new Dark Eldar release. I already have a bunch of DE stuff, so I was wondering if you all could give me a rough estimate of how many points of models I already have, and if they would be effective with the new book:

•Archon
    •Drahzar
    •Lelith Hesperax
    465 points split between your group before upgrades to the Archon. This is an excellent range of models and you ahve good options here. Drahzar is probably the weakest link here, but if you used him as a third Incubi you could make that squad legal so that may be your best bet anyway.

•2 Incubi
    need 3 models to be legal here

•6 Kabalite Trueborn w/ 4 blasters & 2 cannons
    •2 DE w/ Dark Lances
    •4 DE w/ Blaster/shredder looking things
    •4 DE w/ Splinter Cannons
    •30 something more DE warriors
    converting everything to stock warriors with darklight weapons and splinter cannons, I get 644 points, and 2-8 squads depending on loadout, Trueborn/Warrior mix, and squad size. This is more than enough to get a few good squads out of, but keep in mind that your warrior squads now only get one shredder/blaster and one heavy weapon for every ten models only. On the whole, warriors are good shooting troops especially after they get their first pain token.

•10 Wyches
    Depending on loadout and whether or not you use Bloodbrides, 1-3 units and 100-130 points before upgrades.

•5 Jetbikes
    1 unit, optimally you want these in multiples of 3 so you can get the weapon options. 110 points before upgrades.

•Talos/Cronos
    •1 Ravager
    Lots of potential options here especially with the MC. All three units are excellent depending on how you use them.

•2 Raiders
    What can I say, they are great transports. 120 points for the pair.
    Thanks
    -Dunadan
    There you go, sir.

Cool, thanks! Picked up the codex today, and put this together:

HQ 140
    Decapitator 140

Elites 355
    5 Kabalite Trueborn 130
    -4x Blaster
    -1x Splinter Cannon
    Venom 65
    -Night Shield
    10 Mandrakes 160
    -Nightfiend

Troops 650
    2x 10 Warriors 105
    -Shredder
    -Splinter Cannon
    2x Raiders 90
    -Splinter Racks
    -Flickerfield
    -Night Shields
    20 Warriors 260
    -Sybarite w/ Phantasm Grenades & Agoniser
    -2x Shredder
    -2x Splinter Cannon

Fast Attack 130
    5 Reavers 130
    -Cluster Caltrops

Heavy Support 225
    Ravager 125
    -Flickerfield
    -Night Shields
    Cronos Engine 100
    -Spirit Vortex

Not to be a jerk, but I personally think that the Decapitator is probably the worst/only non-viable HQ option. He doesn't have the IC special rule, nor does he have a power weapon. He's just way to overcosted for what he does imo. Maybe if he were 40-50 points cheaper I would consider it. Or if he weren't an HQ that was in direct competition with good characters like the Archon, Baron and Duke, than he might be better.

Actually, he does have a power weapon, but yeah, I didn't realize he wasn't IC until I played him today. I'll be replacing him with some Haemonculi methinks.

Yeah that's probably better.

The Decapitator is just terrible.
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/

I've used the Decapitator just for fun and he worked all rihgt. Not amazing or even as satisfactor as I am expecting. but if you are playing like a capture and control or soemthing where you ahve to kill your opponents HQ then it is fairly good if you get him on when you ahve a unit of Incubi or mandrakes assaulting at the same time. Then circle the decapitator to give him a cover save when you consolidate.
    my tactic for him.