BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Mauglum. View Post

But a can not tell you my W/D/L ratio.

As it just didnt seem all that important back then...

TTFN
    Still isn't. If your ego depends upon your W/L/D stats, then mayhaps you need some lessons in self-assurance.

It wasn't purely about the Winners and losers back then. It was a chance to get together with mates and kill stuff ...

Kinda like the way I still play. I have zero interest in tournament level 40k.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Grimfoe View Post
    Overwatch! Best rule that was omitted after 2nd edition.

DItto,

I learned of Overwatch by playing a ton of Necromunda, and I love it.

For those not familiar, OW is the ability to, rather than fire/assault on your turn, set your model/unit on watch mode, so that when an enemy model comes in to LOS, BANG! they can shoot them.

Librarian

I loved the Warband rules from 1st edition, and being able to roll up Chaos Spawn stats. I used to own 2 Chaos Spawn that I converted, one a Dwarf/Squat Lord with short legs, one arm, frenzy/fury, fear of blood, and horns. Another was a human with long legs (beast rules), 2 heads, headless (became torso mounted faces) with horns, and one arm, Stupid and wore Chaos Armour.

It made the game fun, and you could personalise your warbands in longer running campaigns.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonette666 View Post
    It made the game fun, and you could personalise your warbands in longer running campaigns.
    I second that! Campaigns now feel so generic "oh look, another unit with tankhunters..." What I love about games like Mordheim and Gorka Morka is how every unit/model becomes unique and special, and especially with GM, excitingly eccentric! Here's looking at you D-Lux Kickin' Legz!
    Hi ho! Hi ho! Its off to Krump we go!

i miss getting 4 metal models per blister pack

and being able to move an open topped vehicle 12' and shoot out of it

First-Captain

I miss when Games Workshop would have a sale. Yes... a sale.
    When new packaging was being introduced or new models we would get a giant bargain bucket situation. You'd root around and pick out blisters for half price. Also they would sell off loose lead parts at these sales when a box was damaged or returned due to the wrong bits being inside.
    I miss sales.
    Last edited by energongoodie; 05-20-2011 at 01:47 AM.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by energongoodie View Post
    I miss when Games Workshop would have a sale. Yes... a sale.
    When new packaging was being introduced or new models we would get a giant bargain bucket situation. You'd route around and pick out blisters for half price. Also they would sell off loose lead parts at these sales when a box was damaged or returned due to the wrong bits being inside.
    I miss sales.
    Me too, my friend. I remember one of our (now closed) FLGS used to offer a bitz box. A BITZ BOX. You could trade bitz with it, buy bitz from it, or just donate bitz. It was fantastic. I'm convinced it had every bit ever created. He made sure that no single piece models made their ways into it though.

He was told by his GW rep to stop offering the service, or face some kind of legal action (or something, this was about 6 years ago, so I barely remember). It was a great blow to the local hobby community.
    Hi ho! Hi ho! Its off to Krump we go!

Chapter-Master

From my 2nd ed Eldar codex:

I miss an Avatar that was worth taking.

I miss my 36" swooping hawk wings.

I miss my totally customizable Exarchs.

I miss my Eldar having a base movement that was faster than all the other races.

I miss my shuriken catapult that wasn't a total waste of a weapon.

I miss my Dark Reapers all having missile launchers.

I miss my heavy flamer template Death Spinners and WSJG that was worth a damn (because it went further than what the enemy could move to catch you)

Turn Radius Ratio!!!

I loved having to have a degree in advanced mathematics in order to turn my vehicles.

(For those of you who do not remember the crazier things from Rogue Trader the TRR was a number that all vehicles had from .5 to 3(?) that when you wanted to turn the vehicle you had to multiply the vehicles current speed in inches by the TRR to find the radius of the circle which's arc your vehicle must transcribe in order to turn. Yeah, we didn't use vehicles much, and when we did they didn't turn much).

Or how about the Orky malfunction cards from Ere We GO, that basically made it impossible for an ork army to ever win (these were cards the opponent would get every round that he would play on you to have your vehicles break down, guns explode, etc.)

Honestly, for the most part I think GW has been going in the right direction for rules. I may have issues with a few of the new ones, but when taken as a set they're better.

Scout

Imperial Guard Human Bombs.

Ka-boom!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast