BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Plague of Plague Marines

Am I the only gamer out there that thinks these guys are just a little broken? I am getting tired of playiing them at every tournament I attend. I don't fault people for it, as they are simply the best troops choice in the game, I am just getting tired of them. I think their points cost is too low and there is just no real drawback to these guys. They're just as good as other marines only a lot better!!!

What do you all think???

I am irritated by them as well, but is this a rules question?

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by karandras View Post
    Am I the only gamer out there that thinks these guys are just a little broken? I am getting tired of playiing them at every tournament I attend. I don't fault people for it, as they are simply the best troops choice in the game, I am just getting tired of them. I think their points cost is too low and there is just no real drawback to these guys. They're just as good as other marines only a lot better!!!

What do you all think???
    What do you mean? toughness 5 with a 3+ save followed with a 4+ FNP, fearless, with bolter and bolt pistol/ccw with a side of blight grenades seems a bit much packed into 23 points? Oh I forgot about the 2 plasma guns or meltas. But they cant take heavy weapons so that makes up for it right?

I think everyone agrees that point for point there is no better troop chioce than a squad of plague marines, even my roomie that plays chaos agrees they are broken, but like you I can't fault him I'd run them too with how good they are. I do think that they really mess with normal CSM's though. Since the recommended squad size is 7 they only end up less than 20 points more than a 10 man CSM squad and lets be honest 7 plague marines is a lot more potent than 10 CSM's.
    Come all you Xeno scum and fallen heretics! Come face the one true might of the universe and wither under the Golden Throne's gaze!

If you hit them with ap 1 or 2 they die easy. Question=Plague Marines? Answer=Leman Russ Demolisher/Executioner.

Librarian

Actually, they are toughness 4(5), meaning that anything strength 8+ will cancel FNP.
    So a cheaper solution is a normal Russ with battlecannon.

Also, they might be really difficult to kill, but their potential out-put is very low; everyother troop choice in the chaos codex can cause more damage then P-marines (even thousand sons get AP:3 bolters).
    They are good campers and blockers, but poor aggressive troops.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Inquisitor View Post
    If you hit them with ap 1 or 2 they die easy. Question=Plague Marines? Answer=Leman Russ Demolisher/Executioner.
    AP 3 will also kill them. Keep in mind that they are I3 too, so any CC troop with better than I3 that has any kind of weapon that bypasses armor saves (like a power weapon) will eat them up pretty quick too.

Why would AP3 kill them?

AP 3 does not negate FNP.

Yeah, I think he's misinterpreting the part where it says anything that ignores armour saves. It means anything that ignores ALL armour, not just the plague marine's armour.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Paladin View Post
    Actually, they are toughness 4(5), meaning that anything strength 8+ will cancel FNP.
    So a cheaper solution is a normal Russ with battlecannon.

Also, they might be really difficult to kill, but their potential out-put is very low; everyother troop choice in the chaos codex can cause more damage then P-marines (even thousand sons get AP:3 bolters).
    They are good campers and blockers, but poor aggressive troops.
    I agree with this. Shooting against them (excluding Str 8 and/or AP3 weapons) is just like shooting at T 5 terminators mathammer-wise, yet they are significantly cheaper than that. They are only I 3 with boltguns, however, so offensively they only have special weapons and power fists. They are defensive in nature, though with meltaguns they are great at killing Land Raiders and such. Plague Marines are great at holding the line, while other stuff like vindicators, Daemon Princes and obliterators kill the enemy.

While AP3 in and of itself doen't negate FNP, it does take them from an effective 2+ save to a 4+, and overloading the opponent with saves is just as effective as ignoring their saves. AP 3 does tend to be somewhat rare and expensive outside of missile launchers and battlecannons though. It is also worth noting that it is easy to get a 4+ cover, meaning AP3 would only go from a 16.7% failure rate to a 25% failure rate. Not much of an improvement.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast