BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Homebrew: big Tau suit rules

I don't know Tau that well, so I thought I'd throw this out to the Lounge for assistance. I made this big Tau suit and was wonder what I should do for rules for it. I don't have a Tau army, so it would just be for fun, in Apocalypse or other games like that.

[URL="http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/photopost/g697-xl-18-interdiction-armor.html"]More pics in the gallery.[/URL]

So the first question I had is this: vehicle or MC?

I was pondering these types of things:

• A modified stealth rule
    • Some sort of invulnverable save from the shield, but perhaps only if it moves
    • A special overcharged Ion Cannon attack ("Stand by Ion Control"), but only if it doesn't move

Any thoughts, suggestions?

The question of points cost is always hairy, so I think I'd rather get all the rules set and then set a points cost.
    Last edited by RealGenius; 05-16-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Chapter-Master

As much as it goes against the fluff, I would probably be tempted to say make the rules as a superheavy walker, but with no more than 2 structure points. The rules you suggested all ready fit within the realms of the imperial and eldar titans, so could easily be copy/pasted/tweaked to suit the tau style a bit more. Not sure anything that large could really be stealthy though... i'd say just include the stealthyness into the save.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

I don't know I like the idea of a superheavy, because frankly it seems too small. And I don't think it should get "Terrifying", since no one should be worried about assaulting Tau. All of the SH walker assault rules would be overboard IMHO (counts as 30 models, stomp attack, etc).

I'd be inclined to make it a monstrous creature. Everything we know about Tau suits says that they are much more agile than anybody else's walkers, so I think the wraithlord is a better model than any of the walkers we have. Just make sure that its Strength and Attacks aren't too high.

As for rules, honestly, I think a Monstrous Creature with an ion cannon and Hammerhead railgun is pretty darn special already. Throw in a 4++, what I assume is 2+ armor, Monstrous Creature survivability, Acute Senses (as with all suits), and I think you're most of the way there. Are there any other special bits modeled that we can't see? Your gallery link just takes me to the same pic you posted.

Thanks, fixed the link.

I originally thought Wraithlord or DreadKnight as a template, but wanted to see what other people think. I have changed it a little from the pics, but basic armament is railgun, ion cannon, 2 seeker missiles, and some sort of sms/missile pod.

What about this?

WS 3
    BS 5
    S 7
    T 8
    W 2
    I 3
    A 2
    Ld 9
    Sv 2+

Jump Monstrous Creature, Relentless, Acute Senses

Wargear: Blacksun filter, Command and control node, Railgun (multi-mode), Ion Cannon, 2 Seeker Missiles

Special Issue Missile System: The Armor's missile system may be fired as a missile pod or smart missile system.

Advanced Sensor Array: The Armor's weapons may fire at two different targets. Declare weapons and targets before rolling to hit.

Shield Generator: The Armor's massive shield grants a 4+ invulnerable save.

Battlesuit Disruption Pod: If the Armor moves more than 6" it receives a 4+ cover save.

Overcharged Ion Cannon: If the Armor does not move or fire other weapons it may overcharge the Ion Cannon and fire with the following profile: S7, AP3, Heavy 5, Blast

Failsafe Device: This latest advancement in Tau technology must not be allowed to fall into enemy hands. When the suit is destroyed, roll a D6. On a 4+ place the Apocalyptic blast template centered on the model. All models under the template are hit with a S8, Rending wound.

I might even be inclined to go with 1A.

Veteran-Sergeant

I wouldn't say BS5 probably 4 as tau are generally low BS (unless it is a commander's suit). The 2A is fine as all suits have it basic, perhaps add a multi-tracker for three guns per turn? Also toughness 8 seems too much, as it means most basic weaponry won't even be able to wound it. As for points I'm not sure 250-300? It's difficult as it's got some horrible weaponry but in apocalypse it could gets destroyed in the first turn.

I'd actually suggest dropping the missiles and making it be an advanced photo grenade system that confers both defensive grenades and Hit and Run. And I don't know, in Apocalypse, I'm not at all convinced that T8 is out of the question. I would up it to W3 or W4 though. The same number of sounds as a Crisis suit, even with the improved armor and Toughness, feels off to me flavor-wise.

What about T6, W4 or 5? Then it is vulnerable to small-arms fire, not insta-killable from S10, but gets a buff from all its mass compared to a normal suit.

With the BS5, I was going to just say BS4 with integrated Target Lock or the advanced sensors give it +1 BS (Already included in profile).

I like the idea of H&R, but I also like the idea that it just rolls over in combat.

For the missiles, what about lumping them together like this:

Advanced Missile Support System: This weapon is fired as a Seeker Missile but can use the weapon profile of a seeker missile, missile pod or smart missile system.

That way you get the advantage of an extra weapon, but the disadvantage of having to burn a marker light to use it.

Is it really an advantage? Given an ion cannon and Hammerhead railgun, when would you ever choose to sacrifice one of those weapons to fire a missile pod or SMS? Granted the SMS can ignore LOS, but I question how important that is in an Apocalypse environment given its 24" range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast