BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ive lived through numerous price hikes and I still continue to buy from GW. The interesting change in my buying habits, though, is that I now buy large, expensive kits from online retailers at significant discount. Saving a few bucks here and there doesnt mean much to me on smaller kits, so I support my local hobby shop with my business (seeing as I play there). But I would be a very silly consumer if I didnt see the value in saving nearly $20 on a Soul Grinder.

The interesting thing we will have to wait for is if GW will over extend the value proposition with its products in the near future. Basically- will GW finally hit the price range that the majority of their customers will not pay their prices and shop elsewhere. I have thought about starting other games (not stopping 40k mind you) but I am limited by hobby shops and hobbyists in my area that play different games in any significant number.
    For the Empire-----CHARGE!!!!!!!!!

Librarian

Put it this way i do archery as well and for less than a 2000 point army i could buy a bow, arrows, a target and target stand as well as arm guard, my current kit set up is £400 but includes a dozen arrows a bow that will last me a while, limbs that will last me atleast another year or two, arm guard, chest guard a carry case an arrow tube and all the kit required to set up a bow and kit to repair it.

Basically that would be an army glue paints paint brushes clippers/knife modelling equipment undercoat. A lot more for my money in archery which is a shame as i love warhammer but i just brought a box of Grey knights for £18 with 18% discount thats the same as food for a week at uni.

Anyone have the price list in pounds sterling? I think this is the breaking point for me like.

A price increase takes it a fair leap over £2 a model, and I used to joke that I'd stop when it reached that price. Even with online discount from Wayland and others, it's getting beyond a joke.
    When life gives you lemon's... should have used a condom.

I belive its poor level of education in economy class those guys where on ... or they high on crack and their brains melted.

Prior to Easter Weekend, I spent $4500 on new sails for the boat (have to buy a new set about once a year, sometimes I can get away with upgrading them piece-meal) and about $2000 for new bottoms on the hulls of the boat. The there was a regatta up in Georgia that I had to travel to.
    Mate, try sails that are not made of paper. Oh and yes I know what Im talking about cuz on my wall is trophy for winning regatta.
    How about buing from Poland? its 3:1 for dollar here....just sayin.
    ....shhh, it's okay, it's just me.... I`m Beast at the back of your head.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by MarneusCalgar View Post
    Well, it could be worse, but still in times of global economic crisis... I don“t think this is the most appropiated measure to take by GW...
    Surely that is exactly why GW HAS increased prices. They aren't running a charity and their shareholders demand that they keep a healthy profit margin.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Surely that is exactly why GW HAS increased prices. They aren't running a charity and their shareholders demand that they keep a healthy profit margin.
    Increasing prices during a recovery is a shot in the foot, they are a niche luxury good if they lowered prices they should see increase in sales which would see real growth rather than an inflated bubble of growth.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by lattd View Post
    Increasing prices during a recovery is a shot in the foot, they are a niche luxury good if they lowered prices they should see increase in sales which would see real growth rather than an inflated bubble of growth.
    That“s the point I wanted to say... It should be better to diminish prices... And more people would buy you the minis DIRECTLY and not in web stores or FLGS or even one person would buy you more than one kit... Than to increase them and let more people to play with other sellers“s miniatures for your game or clone them or so...
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar“s Gauntlets

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by GrenAcid View Post
    I belive its poor level of education in economy class those guys where on ... or they high on crack and their brains melted.

Mate, try sails that are not made of paper. Oh and yes I know what Im talking about cuz on my wall is trophy for winning regatta.
    How about buing from Poland? its 3:1 for dollar here....just sayin.
    Mate, try showing up to a GW tournament with non-GW models.

The same thing would happen as what what happen to me if I tried to sail in my one-design class with polish sails.

Pentex- mylar sails are good quality but with the abuse they take over my 500 mile races, they tend to get tired. I do resell the old sails at decent rate which is why I don't complain too much about the steep price.
    Last edited by Defenestratus; 05-17-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Chaplain

Maybe someone can help me with this. Due to certain significant others being raging nerdophobes, I've been out of the hobby industry for the last few years. Making a comback in the last few months. Are these price increases something that's being seen more frequently across the industry?

Someone mentioned this was the third price increase in the last little while for GW, is this happening with other minis companies like PP?

And what about further into the hobby market? Are we seeing price bumps for things like trading card games (i.e. Magic?), or pen/paper? (i.e Dungeons and Dragons?).

I've seen that prices are higher than when I stopped with the hobbies, but are we seeing constant increases? or just one every few years for the other sectors of hobbydom?
    Hi ho! Hi ho! Its off to Krump we go!

Chapter-Master

btw, check out GW's facebook page. Every story's comments is FULL of people *****ing and moaning about the price hikes.

[url]https://www.facebook.com/gamesworkshopofficial?sk=wall[/url]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast