BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gir View Post
    Okay, this really pisses me off. Why is it always the UK people who seem to say "Stop over-reacting" and "If you can't afford it, don't play it!". It seems like you people just don't grasp how expensive this stuff is in Aus.
    You're quite right, we probably don't. I don't live in Australia so I have no idea what the cost of living is over there, or what average wages are like. However, that doesn't affect my point of 'if you can't afford it don't buy it'. That applies to everyone in the world. No doubt if/when I start a family I won't be able to afford much new stuff and so won't buy it. I'm sure there are plenty of people around the world who can't justify spending £20 on a box of plastic, so they don't, why are people in Australia, Borneo or Timbuktu a speical case?

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    You're quite right, we probably don't. I don't live in Australia so I have no idea what the cost of living is over there, or what average wages are like. However, that doesn't affect my point of 'if you can't afford it don't buy it'. That applies to everyone in the world. No doubt if/when I start a family I won't be able to afford much new stuff and so won't buy it. I'm sure there are plenty of people around the world who can't justify spending £20 on a box of plastic, so they don't, why are people in Australia, Borneo or Timbuktu a speical case?
    My only problem is the price difference, as I'm sure it is with most people in Aus. If UK paid the same price we did, or vice-versa, there would be no issue.

Brother-Sergeant

Firstly, I'm glad this thread generated so much debate.

But, as I assumed would happen, we got the same old arguments, and the same old viewpoints.

I reply to those they say 'suck it up', 'they haven't broken the law', etc. I know. I am well aware that GW has not broken a law. I know they can legally do this. That is not my point at all. My point is that by doing this, they are effectively destroying a large and significant part of a lot of people's lives.

I know I don't need to eat models, I'm not going to die, but hell, I really enjoy this hobby, we all do, so why not fight for it? I don't subscribe to this "bend over and take it" mentality. If your government made a ruling which you didn't agree with, totally legally, would you say, "don't complain, they haven't broken the law. If you don't like it, live somewhere else!". Well, not me, pal.

I'm not just whining because I don't have enough money. I have money. I just can't justify paying double what you guys pay overseas; end of story. For example, I cannot start a Tyranid army on Australian prices (my next planned army). I cannot convince a friend to fork out $500 just to start playing. Look, if the prices were at least relatively similar, I would suck it up, and just buy a few less squads, etc. But this is almost DOUBLE what you pay overseas. Let that sink in. Would you pay that to play?

It seems that if you complain about something, people rush to defend GW saying, "if you don't like it, don't play, no one's forcing you'. Fair enough. No one is making me play Warhammer. But shouldn't I let GW know why I will no longer be buying their products? In business, I like to know why a customer is not returning to me, as I take a pride in the product and work I provide, so if anything, I am merely giving constructive feedback. It is the least I can do for a company that has been so dear to my heart for so long.

As an example of this, I have played World of Warcraft. When you have any dealings with Blizzard, they ask for feedback. If you cancel your account, they ask for feedback about why you aren't playing anymore. They value that feedback, as it helps them improve their product, and their profits.

In the end, these are just first world problems. No, I'm not starving, I have a roof over my head, etc. But, this is an important part of my life, and if I'm going to lose it, I'm going to let the person (or entity) responsible know. That is all.

Someone mentioned that this shouldn't spell the end of the hobby for me. I agree, I will still play with the armies I have, and I will proxy the hell out of them. I will not buy new models, and I will most likely take up a new game (Warmachine, Malifaux, or Infinity).

This is not about a small price rise. This is about paying a MUCH more.

Example: Arakchnarok Spider: AUD $96
    Arakchnarok Spider: GBP 36 pounds
    After exchange: $55 AUD

Can you really tell me that I should pay that much more? Even taking into consideration shipping, tax, etc, there is no way to justify this difference in price. Also, this doesn't even include the discount that online retailers were providing (that same kit is 28.80 GBP from Wayland, $43.99 AUD).

I'm all for capitalism, and a global economy, but this is a move against that.

Anyway, I've said my bit.

Send them an email.

Lightbulb The Inherent Assumption

Hi everyone. I normally don't read through the BoLS but I happened upon this thread and I just activated an account because I think a point needs to be brought up:

Inherent within this discussion is the underlying assumption that the Australian gamers must still play WH40K, WHFB, or whatever GW game they play after this price increase.

I encourage our Australian friends to really re-evaluate their relationship with GW products and figure out where they are going to go from here in light of unreasonably high prices. Are you going to keep buying and playing GW games, or are you going to quit buying and playing the GW games? Better yet, think of it this way: Do you need to keep buying and playing GW games, or are you willing to give up GW games for a better alternative?

What are the better alternatives? That depends on you. You could quit wargaming and do something else for fun, like sports, watching TV, or work around the house. Aww, who is kidding who? You don't want to give up wargaming, do you?

Well, you can try to fight GW on this. Good luck.

My suggestion is to not fight it. Why? Because in the end GW will not have heard, or cared about, your lettters and petitions. And you will have gotten yourself worked up and angry for no return on your effort. This is not the first stupid move that GW has done in their history, nor will it be their last.

Ask all of the WH40K 2nd edition players what they thought of 3rd edition. Yeah, some players stayed with the game, and a lot came in later, but a lot of them left when they saw the new rules were not a tweeking of the pretty good old 2nd ed. rules, but a complete revamp. And not a good one at that.

How about Epic?!? Epic used to be GW's third game of the big three games. It was a fantastic game! A lot of the vehicles that are common in WH40K now were in Epic for a couple of years before they showed up in WH40K. It was Nirvana for me and my friends. Then they went to a new edition of the rules, Epic40K, that completely wrecked the fan base. Players were selling off their figures for pennys on the dollar. The fan base for the game had so deserted the game that GW never went through the re-release of figures for all of the races. And they never admitted they screwed up - it was the player's fault for not better understanding the game! The newer Epic Armageddon is a good rules set, but there is still little support for it from GW or a large fan base. I was really angry with GW for ruining what had been a fantastic experience for me. Livid! Spitting mad! Most of that anger is gone now, but not all of it.

You know what helped me a lot? I moved on. I put GW behind me.

I was looking for alternate models to use as titans in Epic when I started to see warjacks from Warmachine. I approached a local that I knew had a lot of Warmachine sitting around and asked him if he would be willing to trade me for a couple of his warjacks. He said no, he wanted to trade for a big pile of WH40K figs. Since I had all of my old 2nd edition figs, which he was fine with, I traded my WH40K Space Marines for Warmachine. I then did the same thing with his friend - my Eldar for his lot of Warmachine figures. It was the best thing I ever did in wargaming.

Warmachine and Hordes are fantastic games. They have been nothing but a joy for me to play and I have been happy ever since getting into Warmachine. Even better, the makers of Warmachine and Hordes, Privateer Press (PP), have done almost everything right in my opinion. (A couple of small mistakes here or there, nothing to quit the game over.) Whenever there was a change that was announced Privateer Press has not just done the right thing, they have exceeded my expectations.

And if Warmachine or Hordes is not for you, then look at other games. There are tons of them out there. The glossy production values of the books might not be quite as good as GW (I personally think the PP books are better) and the miniatures may not be what you are used to seeing, but you will be surprised at how much better the rules are than the GW games.

The important thing is to move on. It's OK, you'll be much better, soon. Sell your GW stuff to someone to get some of your money back, and just turn around and walk away. Explore the other games that are out there and get the happiness back that GW took from you with their prices increases. And don't worry, you won't be alone.

Thanks for reading this my friends in Australia, I hope that you guys see the light of leaving GW.

Battle-Brother

Why shouldnt an EU based company charge more for their products outside europe?

Espacially companies from US do the same here.
    Why do i have to pay twice the price of some jeans here in Germany which are produced in the US?
    Why does an apple computer cost me 400 Euro more than compared tu US?
    Some goes for a Sony Play Station which was around twice the price in the US as they have been introduced?

Sry, i dont feel any charity for anyone affected, cause such things happen more to EU than to other countries.

Brother-Sergeant

On a related note, Kirby, over at 3++ is the New Black, has started a Facebook group for all you Australians and New Zealanders who want to get behind this.

[url]http://kirbysblog-ic.blogspot.com/2011/05/dice-dice-bags-facebook-group-and-games.html[/url]

He has also started an email campaign, so I will leave it up to him.

Go over and show your support!

Chapter-Master

This is a luxury item. When we got a mortgage, the wife put me on a ban from going to lapdance clubs. I have in the main adhered to this direction.

The point of interest here is some of the same old arguments coming out. You see people type:

"Land Raiders are now $100. If they were $50 I would buy 3!" Hang on, that = $150! So surely you can afford 1 at $100 if you have $150 to spend on wargames!

Also the PP fanboys. They're tedious! Is it cheaper or isn't it? Look we all know you would prefer to be in the 90% rather than the 10% - makes it easier to get a game, to get your FLGS to stock it etc. But don't wave PP as the panacea to all GW ills because its tosh. I have played WM several times and after game 2 worked out it is all about kill the warcaster. No tactical diversity. Fun but not quite so good.

GW wins by being better on average across fluff and models and depth of range. This is what you are buying into. Most people ebay or go to internet companies. Well, has GW stopped ebay? No. You pay a little extra for postage but less for 2nd hand - probably less for new unboxed in a lot of cases. Also bear in mind that, while you complain that the post costs means you are paying more, even though the minis cost the same, somebody pays shipping! Maybe Maelstrom etc were taking a loss to subsidise your shipping, now its down to you!

I have encountered loads of people emmigrating to OZ/NZ saying how crap the UK is. Now our antipodean colleagues are telling us the cost of living is up - surely not, the grass isn't greener down there? I go to hell.

Luxury import items cost more than those from in country. I sympathise I really do but this ain't the end of the world. Ebay and use what you have.

I care not about new users. The thing about new users is that, if all the 'veterans' who moan about GW actually did leave, it would be down to new users. And if they are being priced out of the market, GW will have no customers and will have to put prices down! Winner!

Maybe a mass exodus in Oz will get universal prices down!! Take one for the team guys.

Simple equation. GW = wrong their business plan will eventually lead to losses requiring price cuts or death of company. GW = right they will carry on regardless so, someone must be affording this.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

As much as I love 40k, to be honest GW are taking the piss somewhat. I'm increasingly venturing into other companies products which are cheaper but just as good quality these days, I've spent maybe £10 on GW product this year, but at least £100 on other companies with plans for more spend because they represent better value for money and equal quality.
    Curious Constructs - http://www.curiousconstructs.co.uk
    Kirton Games - http://www.kirtongames.com

Chapter-Master

Don't get me wrong, I do feel GW are taking the piss but this is neither new nor, for me, the last straw.

As I have sufficient to keep me playing and painting without buying a single new item for probably 40000 years.

This year i have spent around £10 on paint in GW, and around £100 off ebay for GW product second hand.

There is a lesson coming for GW but I don't think they'll be overturned just yet.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I do feel GW are taking the piss but this is neither new nor, for me, the last straw.
    Your right its not a new trend, and everyone has their own personal limit whatever the reasons for it. Mine is starting to be breached, and clearly many of our fellow gamers in the south hemisphere have just been rocketed past theirs, though equally many are still quite happy to pay for GW product.

This is'nt aimed at your Denzark, but it gets my goat when some people here seem to think that others dont have the right to complain about GW and its prices. They have every right, just as much right as GW have to raise them infact. If someone does'nt like to see GW critisied they either need to ignore it or man up and take it on the chin that their opinion is not the only valid one.
    Curious Constructs - http://www.curiousconstructs.co.uk
    Kirton Games - http://www.kirtongames.com

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast