BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    So don't play then. Why the big internet whinge? Gw is a company, they can charge whatever they like. If people think it is too much, they won't buy it and GW will either go out of business or lower prices, just like everyone other company. And they are well within their rights to stop 3rd party retailers from undercutting their profit margin. I could undertsand if this was food, or petrol or electricity that was being massively jacked up in price, but seriously, it's little plastic men. Either pay what they ask or don't, but stop wasting their time and yours by spamming them with emails.
    Careful, Wildeybeast.

Logic and reasoning has no place on the internet.

Right, because charging double what we pay here to Australians and then preventing them from paying our prices by altering the trade terms is totally reasonable.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Can't seem to post on the actual news thread itself, so this seemed like the best place for this to go. Apologies if I was wrong.

Honestly:

Games Workshop are absolutely entitled to charge whatever they want for their (excellent) products. Their models are awesome, their games are great and the background to them is epic.

I've been playing GW games for well over a decade (nearer two!) and I've had many, many good times with GW products.

However, it's reached the point now where I simply cannot justify paying this much for these objects, for a number of reasons.

This means that I won't be buying any more GW products. I can't tell you how much this saddens me.

Worse still, a number of my friends, whose main concerns were the prices, have recently decided to take the plunge and start their first armies, largely thanks to my encouragement. I hope they don't feel at all soured by this further increase in price (haven't spoken to them yet), but I find it hard to see them seeing it through in the face of these increases.

With all the other costs of life taking their toll, most of my hobbyist friends have now thrown in the towel as well. It's impossible to justify paying £46.50 for a trio of hive guard when that could easily be food for two weeks or a large chunk of the rent.

I felt somewhat sheepish when, having told my friends that I don't have the cash to go out with them (which is true; drinks are damn expensive) they come over and see on my desk a squad in the process of being painted and sprues littered about the place.

So, here I am. A very long time player, admirer and even employee of GW, finally beaten out by the price increases.

I wish GW nothing but the best, and have nothing but gratitude for all the good times. I'll still pop my head in the door every so often when I pass a GW store, but this hobby is now too expensive for me to maintain as a consumer.

One last thing; to all those in the southern hemisphere, I wish you good luck in trying to get by this heavy embargo - if I'm finding it hard, I have no idea how you guys do it.

-Guidebot

I've had enough of GW... in everything they do... they can't even send deliviried to the local indy i work at within a week. I am sending this e-mail to the whats new and ordering. i am also sending letters in post. I am getting a petition gonan be signed. I am gonna buy a games day ticket and then show them the letter, not disrupt the day full of selling crap from gw.
    There is also a facebook page here: [url]http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_109577025797447&notif_t=group_ac tivity[/url]

And for thos of you in the southern hemisphere I realy feel for you. GW aren't playing fairly at all. Lets just go use alternative minis from toher ranges and use them in GW sotres. I don't care if they tell em I have to leave I won't!
    And anyway I have a nice local indy which i much prefer. And they are feelign it too. but I can't imagine what its like for you in the sotuhern hemisphere.... Damn you GW!
    Last edited by TheRise; 05-17-2011 at 12:28 PM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Right, because charging double what we pay here to Australians and then preventing them from paying our prices by altering the trade terms is totally reasonable.
    I never said it was reasonable. Its probably not. However, capitalism won the war against communism, and fair or not, that's the way (most of) the world works. I'm just annoyed with people moaning about GW doing something they are perfectly entitled to do and making out like a company owes them some sort of moral obligation when they clearly don't.

Chapter-Master

And the fruition of participation trophies in kids sports rears its ugly head.

Not everyone gets everything they want in real life. Sorry.

If it's too expensive for you, or if you deem it not worth the cost, then you're perfectly entitled not to buy it. We're planning kids soon. I'll probably make one (if any) Forge World order the year leading up to our first, and the year following our first, as opposed to the traditional 3-5.

I don't drive a BMW not because I can't afford it, but because the cost isn't justified in the value to me. People need to start making these same reasonings for themselves and quit blaming it on the companies.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    I never said it was reasonable. Its probably not. However, capitalism won the war against communism, and fair or not, that's the way (most of) the world works. I'm just annoyed with people moaning about GW doing something they are perfectly entitled to do and making out like a company owes them some sort of moral obligation when they clearly don't.
    But they aren't you see there's consumer laws that state what they can and cannot do, restrict where a company can sell or how much they can charge is anti competitive practise which is illegal. As well as this a the justification that its to keep in line with inflation is bull when your adding double the rate of inflation.

Chaplain

well.. GW is still climing the Laffer's Curve.

Its an economic theory, we work with it all the time and never really notice it: How much can I charge for my product before people stop buying it because the price? It can be described in graph form, but I cant get a decent one put together.

Is GW at the top of the curve maybe? Or are they starting to tip over the other side where revenue will be lost because its now outside the spending range of most buyers?
    Hi ho! Hi ho! Its off to Krump we go!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by lattd View Post
    But they aren't you see there's consumer laws that state what they can and cannot do, restrict where a company can sell or how much they can charge is anti competitive practise which is illegal. As well as this a the justification that its to keep in line with inflation is bull when your adding double the rate of inflation.
    Cite it. And be specific.

Have you read the new contract for EU retailers? I haven't. If you have, and can thusly cite some specifics that none of us seem to be privy to, it could really help to sell your argument.

How is it anti-competetive. If anything, it could be justified as a move by GW to HELP LGSs in the Southern Hemisphere that are surely losing profits due to the present practice.

Allright maybe we should make evrybody go and charge double than what its worth in other countries and misuse the foreign exchange system.And charge over 200% more than what its worth and make hundreds of percent of profit...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast