BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Col.Gravis View Post
    Your right its not a new trend, and everyone has their own personal limit whatever the reasons for it. Mine is starting to be breached, and clearly many of our fellow gamers in the south hemisphere have just been rocketed past theirs, though equally many are still quite happy to pay for GW product.

This is'nt aimed at your Denzark, but it gets my goat when some people here seem to think that others dont have the right to complain about GW and its prices. They have every right, just as much right as GW have to raise them infact. If someone does'nt like to see GW critisied they either need to ignore it or man up and take it on the chin that their opinion is not the only valid one.
    Word.

I also find it rather amusing that someone can say that you don't have a right to complain, whilst complaining about the fact that you are complaining.

Chaplain

I don't actually have a problem with GW raising prices, it's a business after all. What i DO have a problem with is that if your going to charge a price for a box of miniatures, then taking into account your countries exchange rate it should be the same price.
    Sounds simple to me.

I don't get how we in Aus are paying nearly twice the cost than everyone else. Sure i can understand shipping, but they just don't ship one box of miniatures at a time, they ship a whole container case full. Fact, to hire a container to fit a car only costs around $3,000 Aus from Malta.
    Now how much product would you fit in a shipping container?? Lets take that container of say LR's. How much do you think that was worth?? I'm pretty sure they make there money there..

What we are argueing down here is WHY we have to pay twice as much, will that mean the death of GW stores in Australia now, what happens to say local Gaming stores, are they allowed to stock GW products anymore??
    Can a local hobby store stock them too?
    Is it worth me still buying from direct sales from the UK, is it cheaper and can i still do that also or do i have to go to my local GW store or direct sales AUS and pay double the cost of other countries.
    Trust me tomorrow during the day Sydney are going to get a phone call from me, and i'm going to want answers..
    "Heretics crave the cleansing fire of absolution. They need not fear, for we shall deliver"

We're coming across this interesting notion where all complaints are taken as suggestions of crimes, and all apologetics are taken as defense of said criminals.

Here is a friendly reminder that this isn't about illegal, or about players demanding, in some legal action, that they have a right to products the same price as elsewhere. It's about displeasure with corporate performance.

As an Australian, I've endured GW prices as they ascend like some grim, fiscal rocket skyward, myself and my comrades clinging to the skull-encrusted dorsal protrusion. Ebay has become my main supplier at this point, though I make periodic purchases from GW directly when I just need to vomit up a hundred and fifty dolleridoos for three war walkers the night before the tourney.

Will this additional curtailing of my ability to purchase less mind-wrackingly priced plastic crack? Probably. I also recommend getting a friend you can trust in the northern hemisphere, purchasing goods and having them shipped to your third party - and then having your chum mail them to you at postage cost. In return, you can, like, send them some of our fabulous Australian chocolate. Or record their voice-mail greeting in your Aussie drawl. Really, it's a matter of being creative.

The boot's being put in, my fellow Australians, but if our choices are bear the pain, or abandon the hobby... I'm sticking with it. My pointy eared refugees are counting on me. I'm committed to the story on some etheric level now. It MATTERS to me that the 41st millennium we have come to love - through our lens of revulsion and horror - continues, progresses, and that I represent a tiny portion of its fictional grandeur through the elan my tiny painted army displays, and I enjoy vicariously.

I'm sure most won't feel the same way. Leave if you must. But whatever happens, the hobbyverse is a big place, and you will not be missed...
    Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers - all of which are true and terrifying to know.

Chapter-Master

Your right its not a new trend, and everyone has their own personal limit whatever the reasons for it. Mine is starting to be breached, and clearly many of our fellow gamers in the south hemisphere have just been rocketed past theirs, though equally many are still quite happy to pay for GW product.

This is'nt aimed at your Denzark, but it gets my goat when some people here seem to think that others dont have the right to complain about GW and its prices. They have every right, just as much right as GW have to raise them infact. If someone does'nt like to see GW critisied they either need to ignore it or man up and take it on the chin that their opinion is not the only valid one.
    Fair one. I have trouble sometimes wondering why this is such an emotive subject for some on both side of the fence. Just in case I have made myself misunderstood, of course I support people's right to complain about GW, and also the right of people who say deal with it - its a luxury item.

GW are typically greedy business types now, but they ain't the anti christ and if PP got as big as GW they would become exactly the same.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Brother-Captain

Here's a question from someone who is not affected by the Southern Hemisphere thing...

Have you all in AU thought about buying from the US and not UK, now that GW has put these new rules into place? The prices are still much cheaper than the AU price. What, if any, are the downsides of buying from a US based seller?

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    I have trouble sometimes wondering why this is such an emotive subject for some on both side of the fence.
    I think that ones fairly easy to cover really, both sides really enjoy the product and worlds created by GW, but one side no longer feels that it represents value for money, regardless of if they can actually afford it, the other does not share this view.

And of course on both sides are the die-hard fan boyz of both GW and their competition, to whom GW can either do no wrong or no right. But they can be ignored from reasonable discussion, that is kinda like arguing with a drunk or druggy who is dosed up on their favourite high.
    Curious Constructs - http://www.curiousconstructs.co.uk
    Kirton Games - http://www.kirtongames.com

And of course on both sides are the die-hard fan boyz of both GW and their competition, to whom GW can either do no wrong or no right. But they can be ignored from reasonable discussion, that is kinda like arguing with a drunk or druggy who is dosed up on their favourite high.
    This.
    Dark Eldar 4000pts, Eldar 2000pts, Dark Angels 2500pts, Tau 2000pts.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by lattd View Post
    GW requires stores who sell their products to have a brick and mortar store, maelstrom's HQ is around the corner from GW's in Nottingham, so is mantic games HQ as well.
    This is very correct. In order for someone to apply as a stockist and get the 45% off discount/free shipping/etc the rules are as follows:

Must be a brick and mortar store in a commerically zoned area
    Location must be opened a minimum of 20 hours/week
    Must have valid business license
    Completed and approved Trade Account Application and Reseller Certificate in your province/state

*this is taken direct from correspondance with my GW rep

(And Freefall.. I enjoy the cut of your jib! I havn't found myself smiling at a post like that in a while now!)
    Last edited by Skragger; 05-18-2011 at 08:12 AM.
    Hi ho! Hi ho! Its off to Krump we go!

Librarian

Someone mentioned on the RSS chat section that we can still order from the U.S. The postage from America to Australia is as much as the product itself sometimes. Add in the cost of insurance for larger orders i.e. for when a group of friends get together to make one really huge order to decrease the overall postage cost, and you have a product that cost about the same price as in a GW shop.

Sometimes I prefer buying and playing games in a local gaming shop, rather than a GW only shop. You are free to talk about any subject, be it DR.Who, Star gate, etc without being told to keep the subject to GW official sponsored games only. You also get exposed to other gaming Genre'. I had a game of Warhammer invasion board game today, painted a few Battletech Omni-mechs and and had a game of 40K - my Chaos Marines against a Necron army 1750 pints.

I also got to see some new games this week including playing a game of Talisman. I also watched a couple Flames of War battles, played a few battles with my Battletech miniatures and had 2 more games of 40K, with plans next week to face off against an old Russ Void Puppy opponent of mine, and maybe even against a local Grey Knight army.

Next thing you know, GW with be all out to make it illegal to put pictures of model conversions using parts from other companies and gaming systems on the internet. Even though you might mention it has parts from other models in order to convert it.

I may have to get out of 40K again, and just play Battletech, Warmachine and FOW.

Oh, the ancients, gunpowder and WW I/WW II games are a large part of the gaming market in Australia. I may have to convert over to the tried and tested gaming systems of old. Thanks Wildeybeast, I guess I am not buying GW products anymore. There should be other companies that make product that can be used to count as the relevant chaos marine, etc, with a small conversion.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gir View Post
    My only problem is the price difference, as I'm sure it is with most people in Aus. If UK paid the same price we did, or vice-versa, there would be no issue.
    Where do the models sold down under come from? Are they manfactured out there? Or are they, as I suspect, manufactured in the UK and then shipped out there? If so then it is perfectly reasonable that Ozzie customers pay more as GW will have to pay export tax to get them out of the EU, substantial shipping costs to fly/ship them halfway across the world and then import tax to get them into Oz. Which probably explains why I don't pay the same as you when the models are made a half hour drive away from me.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast