BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Scout

Ill tell you what would happen...
    Meaningless crime.

Chapter-Master

Good use of threacromancy there.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Librarian

Yeah, this is an old thread. But there aren't that many threads in the Corporate discussion section that aren't too old for comments.

I'm a little surprised by some of the sentiments here:

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    But as Denzark said GW are a long way from making a loss let alone folding.
    Perhaps other people have not been reading the same financial reports that I have.

They've been shrinking their company by paying out more in dividends than they made in profits. Also, the player base is shrinking (the prices are going up faster than the profits- also faster than inflation).

Sure, they're a long ways off, but these practices aren't sustainable in the long run.
    Last edited by odinsgrandson; 03-13-2012 at 09:36 AM.

www.GardenNinja.com

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by odinsgrandson View Post
    Yeah, this is an old thread. But there aren't that many threads in the Corporate discussion section that aren't too old for comments.

I'm a little surprised by some of the sentiments here:

Perhaps other people have not been reading the same financial reports that I have.

They've been shrinking their company by paying out more in dividends than they made in profits. Also, the player base is shrinking (the prices are going up faster than the profits- also faster than inflation).

Sure, they're a long ways off, but these practices aren't sustainable in the long run.
    Not sure I wholly agree, but think the Hobbit will tell the tale. If they aren't able to capitalize on the renewed interest in LOTR think they may have to swallow a bigger loss then they would like....

In any event GW is no crazy growth company, but they can very easily plod along forever with their existing player base...

Battle-Brother

I do think its highly unlikely that this will happen as like other people have said they arent making a loss but if people did start buying then I think the shops would go first which in the long run I think would be very bad for the wargaming hobby as a LOT of people join the hobby through this route.

I also think that if this was to happen then most of the other wargames companies would also be at risk because the only real way it would is things like 3d printing or the potential that virtual enviroments may have (personally I think that all offices will be dissapearing to virtual enviroments in the next 30-50 years!)

I do think that if GW look at the bigger picture then they have a great oppertunity to expand themselves before this could ever happen - TV series I think would go down well, maybe a decently supported film of some kind (look at things like Iron Sky to see what CAN be done with a good idea and not a lot of money)

I do think that one thing that GW should have a good look at is the possibility for teaming up with someone to create games, at the moment THQ is in trouble and is looking for partners for Dark Millenium, GW studio could create ideas for both the wargame and the mmorg if it were expanded a bit.

I think GW failed to realise their potential when a certain company allegedly went to them to create a game based in warhammer and now have a mmorg with quite a few million subs....

this is where I think GW does miss the boat, I know many others have said this time and time again, but there is a potential source of revenue out there if only GW would take into account the views of the warhammer and 40K universe in regards to their rules. It may take such a turn of events for GW to finally realize that yes their business model is good for them, but the untapped potential out there if they would only listen could lead to a turn around in actual purchasing.

As every one knows a happy customer is a returning customer. Most people continue to support GW because of the gaming sstem they have released. As can be seen from their ongoing legal fights. Many people will buy the other products out there as they are cheaper and sometimes actually better sculpts.

If GW were to take the chance to create a viable rules set that gamers really enjoy and also include various groups in the playtesting of such rules set (by this I mean groups from all over the world) this could easily be their Holy Grail moment, the epiphany of all times or akin to finding the one ring.

Brother-Sergeant

I'd buy it. I'd buy 40K and WFB. =D. All of it.

Course... I don't believe GW will EVER fold. Given their contracting and expanding status over the past 30 years or so, they close some, they open some.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12