BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm not more of an "anything" gamer, I just like people to look at the full picture instead of just the narrow bit that is displeasing to the eye.

When they first arrived on the scene, GW had just shifted to plastic, to the outcry of a lot of people that "now it was just for little kids since the minis weren't heavy in the hands" (yes, it didn't make sense back then either). PP advertised with their minis being of metal and made for people "who had a pair!" E.i. not kids.

While their advertisement never antagonises other companies directly, they do so in sublime ways that does not leave the recipient in doubt about whom or what they refer to.

If you can only sell your game in relation to what it is that the competition ain't, then you don't really have a brand that is all that strong. It works for as long as people are angry at whomever you are competing against.
    If GW did a 360 tomorrow and made their prices closer to actual cost, even with overhead, PP's miniatures would suddently seem very costly to people.
    And make no mistake, PP is well paid for their minis, more so than GW.

Take the infamous Bloodknight unit box, it's at GW set to 51,25£
    A box of Dawnguard Destors at Maelstrom is 62,95£

Both of them have 5 models in it, the blood knights have 5 unique models, the dawnguards have 5 copypasta models.
    I'm not going to buy either of them, even though I have a Retribution army, not at that price anyway.

Grand Provost Marshal

Quote Originally Posted by Quaade View Post
    If you can only sell your game in relation to what it is that the competition ain't, then you don't really have a brand that is all that strong. It works for as long as people are angry at whomever you are competing against.
    But this is how all businesses work, unless they are the only ones that make what they make. The point is to show how much better you are than your competitors (example: see GW's announcement about Finecast and how it's a revolution in the marketplace far superior to all others). "It's not TV. It's HBO." "It's more than coffee. It's Starbucks." "When you care enough to send the very best. -Hallmark." "Everything is easier on a Mac." This is marketing. Hell, some of the most famous brands in the world got where they are on a "Well, we aren't Microsoft" platform!

I think your measuring stick is a bit tilted against PP, for whatever reason.
    Last edited by Faultie; 05-24-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Chapter-Master

Grind is a great pick up for $25 bucks. Further, if you hate the game, you just picked up enough Jack Chassis to start a Khador or Cygnar army.

Battle-Brother

This is a smart company who is quick to realize the corner GW is slowly backing itself into.

Well done, I ordered a box set, Cygnar seems most suitable to me. I look forward to trying this game out.
    "Go tell the Spartans, passerby, that here, obedient to their laws, we lie".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12