BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Do you approve of GW switching metal to resin?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I approve the switch to resin.

55 52.88%
  • No I don't like it at all.

11 10.58%
  • Meh. Indifference is indifferent.

14 13.46%
  • I want to wait and see before making a judgement.

24 23.08%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Do you approve of the switch to resin?

Ok, ignoring the price rises, what do you think of the switch to resin, bearing in mind:

Resin is lighter.
    Easier to convert
    Won't chip paint
    Has better defined detail
    Combines better with plastics
    WILL NOT GIVE YOU CANCER!
    Meets all EU safety requirements.
    etc...

In other words, judging the new material on its merits, not GW hype, expectations and whatnot.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chaplain

Well barring the fact that I have to eat a major slice of humble pie as I was sure the change would never happen and was quite vocal on other forums about it I think it is a good idea.

I am not a big fan of metal models, they are a nightmare to put together, have terrible issues with stubborn mould lines and if you have a lot of them in your army it can make transporting them more difficult than it should be (or maybe I'm just weak and feeble...).

Add to the fact that paint just will not stay on the damn things and that all adds up to me being very happy that GW have gooten rid of them.

However the Finecast minis are never going to be perfect either.

I think the problem is that with the leaps and bound in plastic multi part kits any minis made in centrifugal drop moulds are just going to look a bit pants.

The poses you can achieve with this type of casting are very limited unless you make the minis in several parts, this is because the moulds are flat and create an almost 2 dimensional figure.

This is really apparent in the finecast Haemonculi and the wracks and grotesques.

But this may be because we have been spoilt with multi part kits, which offer much more variety and realistic poses?

Either way though I think repalcing the existing metal models with finecast ones is a good plan.

Mould lines will be so much easier to remove and the detail should hold much better on the figure.

However I hope they look after the moulds better than FW look after theirs. Any of the older FW moulds are now pretty knackered and result in a lot of miscasts.

Given the sheer volume of figures GW cast up in comparison I can see the new fine cast moulds wearing out even quicker, and GW's quality control has slipped considerably ver the last couple of years. In fairness to them though their customer service is second to none and they are always quick to correct any mistakes.

I must admit though does anyone know what actually happened to the metal moulds? Are they now being used to create the fine cast minis? I assume resin can be drop cast in the same way as metal? Certainly the mould have more than enough heat tolerance, but wouldn't the old moulds need new air channels and gates to cope with resin?

Librarian

I hate meta (as a modelling medium), so I'm all for it.

Lighter, easier to glue, and easier to convert? Excellent.

Brother-Captain

Of course, whether or not I approve is irrelevant to GW (or anyone else, for that matter). However, in 27+ years of miniature collecting, none of the benefits you've listed do I find as having been obvious benefits. Resin is lighter, but that's neither here nor there as a deciding factor for buying minis. Resin may be easier to cut and grind, but that also means they're easier to screw up. I've never had a problem with paint chipping, so for me that's a non-issue. Resin does offer better detail, but the current molds aren't detailed enough to need it (they were made for metal, after all). And, since I don't eat my minis, cancer is a non-issue (), although resin dust in the lungs from filing might be.

Resin probably does combine with plastic better, so that's a plus. The con to that is, however, resin breaks and resin cannot be bent back into shape once it's deformed. As such, there is no way in hell I'm buying a resin mini sight unseen, so no online purchases for me.

Last edited by Necron2.0; 05-24-2011 at 09:35 AM.
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    resin cannot be bent back into shape once it's deformed.
    You mean, of course, aside from slipping it in some hot water for a few seconds, right?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    I've never had a problem with paint chipping, so for me that's a non-issue.
    Clearly you've never played with some of GW's fantastically designed tope heavy metal models like gargoyles or zoanthropes. Those bloody things chip if I some much as look at them, never mind being knocked over by the gust of wind caused by a butterfly in the next room.

Roll on resin, I say, I can't see s single con with it. GW what took you so long!

Chapter-Master

I've voted yes, but I do want to get some handon before i'm 100%.

At present i'm only like...95% sure

Also if what it says in the GW blog today is true this stuff is wonderful! It talks about dropping Ghazgul off a table and not having him break or chip! If thats true then its amazing!
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Battle-Brother

As I collect 'Nids I am loving this change. Not even because of the zoans. It's all because of my F'ing hive tyrant. I had no idea what "pinning" was at the time and I spent about 2-3 hours fighting with that one model trying to get the legs to just stay in the position I wanted them. But are many vulgar words and whispered prayers they stayed. I'm assuming that in that same situation resin would have been a hell of alot easier to work with lol.

Chapter-Master

So, No one has commented on this, but I love the new blister design. Great marketing move for GW.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    So, No one has commented on this, but I love the new blister design. Great marketing move for GW.
    Can you link anything that shows the package? The "great sandbox" really doesn't have any hobby shops so I have no idea what they'd even look like lol. That is cool that they are changing the packaging design though, they were a little bland imo.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast