BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Do you approve of GW switching metal to resin?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I approve the switch to resin.

55 52.88%
  • No I don't like it at all.

11 10.58%
  • Meh. Indifference is indifferent.

14 13.46%
  • I want to wait and see before making a judgement.

24 23.08%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    I've voted yes, but I do want to get some handon before i'm 100%.

At present i'm only like...95% sure

Also if what it says in the GW blog today is true this stuff is wonderful! It talks about dropping Ghazgul off a table and not having him break or chip! If thats true then its amazing!
    I'm with you doctor. I really have to see it for myself before I can make a finalised judgement.
    However I have an unreserved hatred for metal minis so all in all this change is good in my eyes.
    Master Bryss and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    Hi, I'm Titans newest recruit. PREPARE TO BE PURGED!!!

Actually the new formula is a different formulation of a similar type to the plastic they use, with similar qualities regarding deformation and bending. Also, no release agent according to (I think) Harry. It isn't a toxic resin and unlike FW resin doesn't need safety guidelines for use under EU law, so quite safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonette666 View Post
    If they stopped producing in metal, I would prefer they produce in plastic rather than in resin.

The fine detail Resin miniatures bend with the heat, and deform in shape over time, which does not help you have to re-straighten them with hot/warm water later on, and you have spent time painting them, just to have the paint flake off because the resin had bent/ deformed so much.

There are also 3 other reasons I shy away from resin miniatures if possible.

Firstly resin is supposed to be extremely dangerous to drill sand or file. I heard it can be as bad for you as handling Asbestos, or fibreglas, and you have to wear a mask to avoid breathing in the dust.

Secondly resins need to be cleaned thoroughly before undercoating them. They have a releasing agent on them that makes it hard to get paint to stick to them.

Thirdly, they are more expensive to make than plastics, so it will give GW a reason to justify their ridiculous and continual price rises, even when the Australian dollar gains market value, from 70 cents US to per Australian dollar to what it is now with each U.S. Dollar equal to $1.05 Australian. This should make the cost of the miniatures cheaper even with the supposed increase in staff wages, which should not affect the cost of the miniatures. If they use plastics, then we should expect a drop in prices, but knowing GW, they will make another announcement and some other bogus reason before they raise the prices again.

I know I will get a few GW die hards replying to the last statement, arguing with what I have said, but you can not change a die hard's opinion, especially some of the pro GW members on this site.

Combined with the new policy to stop companies delivering to Australia/ NZ, I will not be buying anything GW for a Looong time. In fact I will be actively looking at other companies out there that make miniature that can be use directly or converted for use as GW Chaos Marines, Traitor Guard, etc. I already have enough miniatures to cover me for the tournaments.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

[url]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440004a&rootCatGameSt yle=wh[/url]

Incidently....loads of new Tomb Kings, all in finecast just went up for advance order. Not being a TK player I don't know how many are brand new, and how many are re-casts.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

I loved FW for so long.

I can live with the limitations of resin.

I have started a FW only army (vracks infantry centric IG army) because it meant I could play an army without a single metall model.

I love the switch to resin and the higher prices is acceptable for the simple fact of weight. On Saturday I'll basically replace every tyranid metal model possible (and maybe some DE.) for resin.

The selling points for me are weight and convertability (resin is soft and easy to cut).

The Liche Priest and (I think) Ushabti are new. Also, price decrease on the Ushabti (of £3.50/model), I hope that is a trend.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    [url]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440004a&rootCatGameSt yle=wh[/url]

Incidently....loads of new Tomb Kings, all in finecast just went up for advance order. Not being a TK player I don't know how many are brand new, and how many are re-casts.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chaplain

For someone like me who owns over 12k+ of SoB and that they are all metal to date, i have to say i have NEVER had an issue with chipping. Ever.
    I play them nearly every weekend for the last few years, i have collected them from the first time they came out years and years ago.

Trick is i use a coat of "crystal coat". It is clear, like a varnish but since i started using it i have never had to repaint any of my miniatures due to ware. The only time i repaint is if i want to redo the miniature, or upgrade its paintwork, or if there is an accident with the figure after it is dropped (rare for that to happen).

Personally am looking forward to the weekend when i am going to my city GW store to look at these new fine cast figures and see for myself how good they are.
    May even buy something for my Salamanders army, probably just go buy off Wayland actually for cheaper.
    "Heretics crave the cleansing fire of absolution. They need not fear, for we shall deliver"

SoB aren't too bad (ditto most space marines), not that I have many (yet) but certain models topple over an awful lot (Howling Banshees are what I have the most trouble with, its like the little b*tches go out and get wasted before every battle they fall over that much, even with weighted scenic bases on flat surfaces) and they chip much more easily if they are fall over and into each other a lot.

Chapter-Master

My Kayvan Shrike has tumbled and broke no less than 4 times.

Battle-Brother

I voted no, mainly because I don't like the way GW is handling it.

From a modeling standpoint, as long as it's not true resin, ya know the stuff that requires you to work in a well ventilated area, and wear goggles and a mask so you don't inhale any of the resin (see the warnings on the Forgeworld resin), it's great. Easy to work with, and it soaks up the paint a little better. I very rarely have any issues with paint chips.

The down side is I get a lot of bent parts, miscast parts, air bubbles, and insane amounts of flash. The prep time for a resin model is usually longer by about 30% for me.

Then there is the price increase for the mini's. I still fail to see why they are raising the prices when they already have the facilities and production in place to make this stuff. They aren't making any new sculpts, so no resources are being used there. They already have the resin/plastic, so they don't have to buy any materials they don't already have. They only thing I can see is recasting the molds- but again, depending on the process which GW has not yet shared with us, they might not even have to do that!

So again, why are we paying more for something that should be cheaper for GW to make?

Finally, GW has not addressed the possible quality control issues that may show up, and how Customer Service will handle broken/bent pieces.

In the long run, this is a good switch and will advance the hobby. In the short term, I have every confidence that GW will botch this one up.

The idea of this thread was to examine whether people approve of the switch to resin regardless of how GW have handled it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast