BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airborne GKs

Chaplain

Default Airborne GKs

So I made this list on a whim and tried it out once (and also once at 3,000 points). It's an all Stormraven mounted army (except the Dreadknight) and I have to say it was a blast to try out, lots of deep striking and SO MUCH SHOOTING.

Figured I would post it on here and see what other people think of it. I'm really not sold on the Dreadknight yet, the two games I tried this list in it basically just got shot to death (granted it took alot of shooting). I was considering replacing it with a cheap inquisitor with Psy Communion to help bring in my reserved units (read also: everything else) sooner and hopefully all at once. Perhaps you guys have other suggestions.

Made with the Grey Knight codex, this is my airborne army concept I want to try out and hopefully buy:

HQ:

Librarian- Mastery 3, Warding Stave, Might of Titan, Quicksilver, Vortex of Doom, 3 Servo Skulls- 265

Elites:

Venerable Dreadnought: Assault Cannon, Psybolt Ammo- 190

Troops:

10 Grey Knights: 2 Psycannons- 220

Fast Attack:

Storm Raven Gunship: Hurricane Bolter Sponsons, Psybolt Ammo- 255

Heavy Support:

Dreadknight -130

Chapter-Master

First off the Librarian needs work. Psychic Mastery 3 is too big an investment for too little benefit, particularly when you're combining it with a Warding Stave. GKSS aren't close combat units, so you shouldn't be trying to spend a ton of points on CC ability anyways.

More importantly, you don't have enough psychic powers. Always always always take Shrouding. There is no conceivable reason to ever not take it under any circumstances. Sanctuary is pretty important against enemy assault units, too. Remember that both these powers happen in your opponent's turn, while the rest happen in your turn only. That means you can cast Quickening and Might of Titan in your turn and win combat, then cast Shrouding and Sanctuary in your opponent's turn when he tries to shoot/assault you.

A Librarian is a toolbox character, but you have to remember to bring the tools along with him.

As to the rest of your list, it doesn't look too bad, though I agree I'm not sold on Dreadknights. Remember you can't transport them in Storm Ravens, in case you didn't know. I think I'd rather use those points to upgrade one of your units to something a bit scarier in CC (Purifiers with halberds). You should have the points left over for your Psychic Communion Inquisitor, too.

The problem with the PC Inquisitor, though, is he has to be on the board to cast the power, but all your army will pretty much be in reserve. I'm not too sure on how to get around this without dropping Storm Ravens.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

Good point about the powers. Still tinkering with powers in 2000 points really. Most of my games are larger games, where I usually take nearly every power anyway.

Yeah I was just deep striking the Dreadknight on its own, which sucked.

The idea with the Inquisitor is to put him behind something (preferably a large rock, or some sort of big spooky line of sight blocking terrain piece) so he doesn't (hopefully) die before he can use his power. I figure giving him a good save (terminator armor) will help with that. I tried the same tactic with a Grand Master in 3,000 points and hid him behind a pair of big los blocking crates and it worked really well. Obviously there is a rather large stat gap though between an Inquisitor and a Grand Master.

I like the Purifier idea, though that does leave me with only two scoring units. I'll have to tinker with the points and see what I end up with.

Battle-Brother

I agree with DarkLink about the librarian. I would also drop the dreadknight and maybe turn the Venerable dreadnought, well, not venerable, and try to get a dreadnought in every Stormraven.

Just some thoughts. Hope that helps
    kingstuart40k.wordpress.com

Chaplain

When I first started working on the list there were two things I tried to fit in, Paladins (or terminators) and a dreadnought for every Storm Raven. Unfortunately points allowed for neither if I wanted to have a librarian which I think is pretty critical for the list. I may however go ahead and drop him to mastery 2, drop the Dreadknight and take a Multi-melta Ven Dreadnought, so I have a little extra anti-tank punch. Usually I don't use that type of Dreadnought weaponry, but I think deepstriking using Servo Skulls is the perfect time to deploy a multi-melta on a dreadnought.
    The 4th Doctor has long scarf to protect him from hate.

Howdy!
    What do ya think?

HQ:
    Librarian- Might of Titan, Quicksilver, warp rift, the shrouding, sanctuary, 2 Servo Skulls- 185

Troops:

Fast Attack:
    Storm Raven Gunship: Psybolt Ammo- 240

Heavy Support:
    Dreadnought: Assault Cannon, TLAC, Psybolt Ammo-135

1970?

Chaplain

That is really interesting. Some changes I am looking at making though are to put the hurricane bolters back on the Stormravens. It puts the list 15 points over 2,000 so I'd have to find a way to drop 15 points but I think it's worth it. The Hurricane Bolters can't fire on the turn they deepstrike but they can fire afterwards and that's alot of strength 5 shots to add to the army.

Chaplain

HQ:
    Librarian- Might of Titan, Quicksilver, warp rift, the shrouding, sanctuary, 3 Servo Skulls- 190

Elites:

Venerable Dreadnought: Twin-linked Autocannon, Assault Cannon- 190

Venerable Dreadnought: Twin-linked Autocannon, Assault Cannon- 190

Troops:

Fast Attack:
    Storm Raven Gunship: Psybolt Ammo, hurricane bolters- 255

Since I wanted to keep the Hurricane Bolters and couldn't quite take 3 Dreads that way I decided to just take two and make them Venerable.

Veteran-Sergeant

Personally, I would still drop the hurricane bolters... When paired with Psybolt ammo, they lose their defensive weapon status, which means that you will not be firing them as often as you would otherwise. That also frees up almost enough points for a regular dread (or 3 if you drop the venerables down to regular), with a little bit left over as well.
    Check me out on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/InquisitorialMandate or search for MWG Leland!

Chaplain

While I would normally agree with you about the hurricane bolters, this is a deep striking force (guided by the servo skulls). The amount of fast movement should be relatively limited. I should be able to deep strike and then fire the hurricane bolters after limited movement the following turn. What I'll probably do is go ahead and proxy test this list a few times and see which one of us is right about the Hurricane Bolters and make adjustments from there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast