BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default Models with moving parts

Has anyone noticed that models with moving parts don't particularly work well when painted. For me personally, I have a Land Raider and a drop pod. The landraider doors before being painted worked perfectly. After being primed the doors just wouldn't budge. As for the drop pod, some of the doors just wont close all the way.
    Anyone else have problems like this?
    Master Bryss and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    Hi, I'm Titans newest recruit. PREPARE TO BE PURGED!!!

Are you assembling the model before priming it? If so, that sounds like the problem because the primers going to be getting into the joints and moving parts and effectively gluing it in place, or causing the parts to jam like with the drop pod doors

Ive only ever built one model with moving parts before which was a rhino, but I just put some tape around the door hinges before priming and it moves perfectly
    drifteruk.deviantart.com

Chapter-Master

Swings and roundabouts.

The wings on my 2 Nightwings both still swing properly.

But the "flaps" around the edge of my landing pad don't quite work properly...they stick pretty badly...
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chaplain

Remember this, if it works perfectly before painting....your'e screwed. Always leave a bit of room when you can. Wobbly is the way to go hehe.

Chaplain

Well Tbh I think thats the reason my Land raider went wierd. I made it before priming and the door worked perfectly wheras the flamestorm sponsons were a little bit loose. After priming the sponsons were fine and the door was screwed.
    However, with the drop pod, I primed it before assembly and, now that its completed, 2 of the doors wont close all the way. Not the biggest disaster in GW related history (by a long way) but still rather annoying...
    Master Bryss and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    Hi, I'm Titans newest recruit. PREPARE TO BE PURGED!!!

Librarian

Yeah i'm having mega issues with my valkyrie sliding side doors. one side is perfect, the other is so tight it removes the paint and i can't seem to identify where the problem areas are which is causing the issue in the first place.

next valkyrie i'm gonna sand the doors down a bit thinner i think.
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Best thing I have found is just to paint the models as much as possible before assembling it, that way you can check everything works when done. I've done a few land raiders this way and they've all been fine (though the doors have had to be glued shut since because of a brakeage to three... and occasionally the paint has had to removed on some areas). Also makes it muuuuch easier to paint the interiors
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

I do a similar method. When I have the model out of the sprue, I do a dry fit of all the major sub-assemblies before I spray the primer. By doing so, I know what can be painted and what doesn't need to be painted.

Brother-Captain

I glue all of my doors shut to avoid this problem. It improves the strength of the model, I don't have to worry about fragile parts breaking, I don't have to repaint anything, and the doors don't fall open during transport or gaming.

If I was really keen on keeping the doors functioning, I'd just magnetize them and have them be removable.

Chaplain

With the drop pods, there are two spots on the hinges that are moulded too large and have to be trimmed back.
    These are the bits that prevent the doors from closing properly when assembled (and were commented on several times by less than gruntled modellers.