BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Silly post, despite being tongue in cheek. A car is a necessity for most people, not a luxury (hobbies are by definition not necessities). We are comparing costs of hobbies, not random products.

Quote Originally Posted by vyrago View Post
    man...I know a guy that spent like $13,000 on a CAR! (it came assembled and painted though) that sure makes GW look cheap now doesnt it!

*tongue firmly pressed against cheek*
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

You're right, cars are never hobbies. my mistake.

You want to compare cars as a hobby to GW? My brother just bought a 1927 Hispano Suiza that needs minor restoration (his hobby) for over three hundred thousand pounds.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

thats precisely my intent! to show that a great many hobbies can be selected as examples in order to make GW look cheaper. In the grand scheme of 'hobbies', GW games are quite affordable. Skiing, scuba, rare stamp collecting, cars, collecting fine art....are all examples of things that would make GW look quite cheap. dont you agree?

I was poking fun at those who were choosing to do this. So, I think we've boiled it down. GW are NOT that expensive in their own right. What makes GW expensive, as mentioned already, is that many models are needed to fill out an appropriately sized army. Most armies of say...1500 points require somewhere around 30-75 models. This is where the premium price of GW starts to creep up higher and higher, thereby making it seem 'expensive'. But the fact remains that many other miniature wargames have either lower model counts per army, cheaper miniature prices or both. not to mention arguably less detailed miniatures as well.

My apologies, I misinterpreted your post, too early in the morning.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    I love troll posts like this denzark. I mean Honestly just because you refuse to pay the prices GW asks any longer does that mean you must refuse to play the game? or that you must immediately register your army on sale?

I've got 3 armies, I love the game, and I'm boycotting GW, all this means is that I wont be expanding or starting a new army unless I land a high paying job, and even then I'll be buying from alternate sources.
    DAboarder. Do you not understand irony? In a post I entitled 'the more expensive the better'?

But as you took it at face value, where did I say anything about anyone must doing anything?

And, unless all your 3 armies are new codexes, you will be drawn back in faster than Don Corleone when your army gets a buff.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

......YUP! my bad.

sorry denzark just havin' a rough week, my apologies mate.

I have been hating GW for a long long time, but not massively. Only because they don't want to send the orders to my local indy store...
    I have also been complaining about the prices.
    But I have recently broke my leg and fractured my ligements and torn a tendant in my leg doing another of my favourite hobbies, BMX racing. Now I have been told I can't continue racing for another 4 months. Also I can't gig with my band, I also play guitar, because of this injury. This is saving loads of my costs on these hobbies, and I am actualy buying £20 more each month on wargaming. And after that and buying all my food and drink and rent etc. I still have a fair bit of money left over.

But I am now mainly spending my money on PP.
    So why don't you guys just change to a different range. Liek Privateer Press? And after all with all the saving going on for PP at the moment why not start now?!

Well, for my part, I don't like Privateer PRess' miniature range, it is dull and static and costs more than GW figures which are ridiculously better for detail, design and customisation. Also, female miniatures with arms that would reach their knees if they were standing straight, not acceptable.
    I don't like the ruleset, its an ok skirmish game but I would rather play a brilliant skirmish game like Necromunda. I also can't stand most of the Warmachine players I've met in person*.

I'd rather play Kings of War, the rules are good, pity all but Mantics undead miniatures have been a huge dissapointment (for me).

*Except two of my brothers who play Warmachine, they're ok.
    Last edited by eldargal; 05-30-2011 at 06:51 AM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    2. GW prices little timmy out of the market. Denzark can go in GW without hordes of screaming children who smell and act like nurglings.
    Result: Winner.
    It does seem to be a lot younger audience than when I started....

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast