BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Battle-Brother

This might surprise you, but I don't agree. Those other companies that make metal models do limited runs of maybe a couple hundred, or a thousand at best. GW makes thousands of models. The more you make, the cheaper they become to produce. They have a state of the art plastics factory using CAD software, a well trained, specialized work force, and deep pockets.

There is no arguing the quality of the minis. In general, GW has one thing going for them: consistency. They produce more top quality models then most other companies. On the other hand, I have seen some fantastic mini's that blow the best GW has to offer out the window.

It's interesting that you bring up the metal discussion, as GW has now stopped using metal. Everything is being converted over to plastic/resin. It's amazing that they are able to still provide such great quality in this format! However, they are using a less expensive material and manufacturing process for that mini and raising prices.

This is a hobby, and like all hobbies, it's as expensive or cheap as your checkbook allows.

Chapter-Master

I agree with this thread!

That is all

Maybe it happens with a slightly inflated budget to spend, compared to what some people might have spend.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwulf View Post
    This might surprise you, but I don't agree. Those other companies that make metal models do limited runs of maybe a couple hundred, or a thousand at best. GW makes thousands of models. The more you make, the cheaper they become to produce. They have a state of the art plastics factory using CAD software, a well trained, specialized work force, and deep pockets.

There is no arguing the quality of the minis. In general, GW has one thing going for them: consistency. They produce more top quality models then most other companies. On the other hand, I have seen some fantastic mini's that blow the best GW has to offer out the window.

It's interesting that you bring up the metal discussion, as GW has now stopped using metal. Everything is being converted over to plastic/resin. It's amazing that they are able to still provide such great quality in this format! However, they are using a less expensive material and manufacturing process for that mini and raising prices.

This is a hobby, and like all hobbies, it's as expensive or cheap as your checkbook allows.
    IMHO historical gamers will always get better VFM than in particular GW games. The proliferation of high end quality plastic, metal and resin manufacturers with prices considerably cheaper than GW. The quality of the figures sometimes beat GW!

If you have a family, mortgage commitments etc then VFM is top of the list - excellent quality at cheap price, certainly compared to GW. You do not have to wait for the latest codex release to butcher half your army....Napoleonic British is Napoleonic British and has been for decades, however you could not say that for GW armies.

Consider the price of the new Grotesques...they are...well, grotesque....there is a warning in those prices there for Eldar players, particular for wraithguards and wraithlords.

My personal bugbear is older kits where you clearly get less being inflated to match newer releases with more options.

I know GW are shooting for consistency but I'd feel short changed by some of the kits out there. The ones that spring to mind are the IG Basilisk (repackaged, but has few options), the Eldar Falcon (about to be increased to match the fire prism) and tyranid gaunts (small infantry with few options that you have to buy in hordes).

Overall though, the plastic kits feel just about OK on price.

Comparing GW minis to traditional plastic models on a price basis is pointless.

GW doeas great work on figures but a lot of that is due to the proportions. If limited to naturalistic designs GW would probably not look much better than companies like Dragon.

IMHO Dragon makes a much better vehicle model kit than GW. Fit is as good or better, surface detail is far better than GW. Whne you consider a WWII tank or modern jet fighter has to look like the actual subject but a GW kit can be re-designed if it is too difficult to make then GW kit is not that impressive.

when you try to find alternative models for GWs in your 40k army, you learn just how "normal" priced GW is.

My personal take is they need to drop the stores entirely. Let someone else carry that cost. Someone who deals with all game systems, etc. All that staff and store space is causing GW to try and scramble to cover cost in the one place they can.

The whole aussie issue, seriously, drop the stores, staff, etc. and just sell models to resellers. Not shut down the continent to try and keep a couple of stores a float.

Veteran-Sergeant

Sure, Sure,
    Just like GAS (Petro) is not that EXPENSIVE

exhails

For a box of scourges it costs 25.00 USD for only five models. The miniatures are expensive especially vehicles. And as for tanks a year ago I bought a perfect substitute for a basilisk from "Target" for ten dollars.

The miniatures are expensive even considering their quality.

Well I guess they are too expensive, even if they are average or above average price. I think the days of owning multiple armies is over. Build, sell, build again.

At least GW keeps the value during the "sell" period.

Chapter-Master

This is only partially true, especially when it comes to metal models. While the originial sculpt only has to be done once. A lot of smaller companies tend to cast as many models as they can from a mold before the deteriation in quality becomes too great. GW has the fan base and financial backing to be able to retool again and again, but the cost of doing so each time still remains the same and is a predominant factor in the cost of each miniature, sometimes almost matching the cost of the metal in some of the shorter product runs.

This I definitely agree with. As others have said, we may pay more for our base materials than some do for other hobbies, but unlike going down the pub and buying many pints of beer, we still having something to show for our pennies that can be used over and again.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast