BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Default Fine Cast? My ....

Ok, I was in my LGS today, and I noticed they had some of the new Fine Cast minis for sale. On a lark, I bought the Lelith mini and brought it home to compare against a metal one I bought a month or so ago. Basically, the detail is mushy, their is a lot of flash to contend with and (as I had expected from the start) bubbles ... lots and lots of bubbles. I've uploaded images showing a side by side comparison. The minis are both straight out of the blister with no clean up. In image 2 I've highlighted spots where details are almost entirely missing. In short, this is in no way an improvement over the metal.

[url=http://members.cox.net/necron2.0/img/004.JPG]>> Image 1 <<[/url]
    [url=http://members.cox.net/necron2.0/img/005.JPG]>> Image 2 <<[/url]

Last edited by Necron2.0; 05-27-2011 at 10:21 PM.
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Even thow it's hard to make out in thows pitchers, you can see a noticeable difference in detail favoring the Finecast. It's to bad about the Air Bubbles. That may be worth calling in about.

The Flash is no big deal thow in all honesty, and I do not get why some people are makeing a big deal about it.

It's no different then removing the mold lines off a metal model. From what I have heard it seems removing the flash off a finecast is EASIER since finecast is a softer Materiel. So to me it seems like Finecast is EASIER to prep then a metal mini.
    Last edited by Lockark; 05-27-2011 at 10:50 PM.

If you think it is significantly miscast, swap it for another or get a refund. There does seem to be some issues with some of the first batch, I have a Succubus and Archon which are fine (and so much better than the metals) but a couple of my brothers figures have minor issues.

I have to say though, getting a Lelith like yours wouldn't bug me, I cut/sanded off most of the leg spikes to give her a sleeker look.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Lockark View Post
    Even thow it's hard to make out in thows pitchers, you can see a noticeable difference in detail favoring the Finecast.
    Hardly. I'll admit the pictures aren't that great. Both minis are fresh from the blisters and unfortunately the shininess of the metal does wash out some of the details. If I'd taken the time to clean both up and prime them, it would be clear as day that the metal mini was far and away the more detailed one. In a side by side comparison, the only improvement I saw that favored the resin was marginally better detail in the face, and slightly better detail in one area of the base. In all other cases, the resin was either equal in quality or else mushy and deformed.

Unfortunately, this isn't limited to just this one Lelith. For myself, I also bought an Archon, and although I have nothing to compare it to, it has a similar problem - lots and lots of obvious bubbles. I'm also not the only one finding these problems. If you go to Dakka, they are already on 13 pages of how badly the Fine Cast line sucks in quality. Some have also started reviewing GW's promotional material and have found deformities on their hand picked examples of perfection. No, it is quite plain as day, Fine Cast is an utter miscast.

Last edited by Necron2.0; 05-27-2011 at 11:13 PM.
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

You might want to position the camera somewhere near the models in question, in macro mode, if you actually want to show anything. The two you posted are worthless.

Brother-Captain

They are sufficient.

The problem is people with a miscast model are far more likely to come online and complain about it than someone who gets one without a problem. I'm sure there are problems with a lot of sculpts but I can't help but feel we aren't going to get an accurate impression of Finecast for some months. There will be supply problems, quality control problems, miscasts etc in the meantime. But the fact remains GW will replace it so while frustrating, I think we can bear with them until they get things sorted out.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    Hardly. I'll admit the pictures aren't that great. Both minis are fresh from the blisters and unfortunately the shininess of the metal does wash out some of the details. If I'd taken the time to clean both up and prime them, it would be clear as day that the metal mini was far and away the more detailed one. In a side by side comparison, the only improvement I saw that favored the resin was marginally better detail in the face, and slightly better detail in one area of the base. In all other cases, the resin was either equal in quality or else mushy and deformed.
    I am going to point out I have the model in question in metal in front of me and comparing mine to the finecast you posted, as the metal you included is just not viewable at all.

The main difference I see is in the hard edges of the weapons. The edges are allot more "sharp" and the detail stands out alot more. This can also be noticed in any similar details that have sharp edges.

This is something that has stood out to me in all the promotional images for the fine cast, and I still see that here.

I will admit thow. When painted I can image to the causal viewer both will look like the exact same miniature, only thows with a keen eye will catch it.

(Not sure what you mean by "Mushy" Detail thow. Because I'm not seeing it.)
    Last edited by Lockark; 05-27-2011 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    They are sufficient.
    Agreed, as I could spot the problems.
    Dark Eldar 4000pts, Eldar 2000pts, Dark Angels 2500pts, Tau 2000pts.

Sure it's easier to clean up the flash on a Finecast mini than a metal model, then again it's been years since I saw a metal mini with that much flash.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast