BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default How do you mkae a cheap mycentic spore?

So I am a beginning tyranid player starting to build up to a 1500 point null deployment army. For the army I am going to need at least one mycentic spore so I was wondering if anyone knew of a cheap easy way to make one? I had found something on forge world that I thought I might be able to use but it just doesn't look quite right. Thanks
    Cheers

Brother-Sergeant

You could go how GW did a while ago and use pink foam eggs, just cut them how you want and add Nid bits.

Remember it doesn't have to be closed.

If you want to go really cheap get a monster or trygon base and build some remnants of the sides with triangles of plasticard textured with green stuff/ milliput etc. The genestealer plastic terrian pieces could go in the centre too.

If you want something more impressive, try an upside down venomthrope in the middle to represent the pod's tentacle weapons.

I've done a fairly crappy paint concept sketch to show what I mean:

Brother-Sergeant

I used

a blank CD as a base.
    a Large polystyrene ball from a craft shop (ball's diameter is ruffly the same as the CD)

Cut the bottom off the ball so it fits onto the cd. (ruffly bottom 10%)
    There is your basic spore

I PVA glued some flock to the ball in random lines to create the effect of vines/blood vessals
    Coated it in a few rounds of PVA glue (to protect it from the next stage)
    Sprayed it with chaos black.

finish with a cheap purple acrylic paint and highlight any interesting areas.
    I preach 4 things. The Gospel of Jesus Christ, The importance of good dental hygiene, the evils of COMIC SANS and the superiority of Mac over PC

Librarian

Well, let´s see, this is a link to a spanish fellow´s blog, he made some this week also!!

[url]http://hofferber-40k.blogspot.com/2011/05/cuando-el-diablo-no-tiene-que-hacer.html[/url]

Hope you can use a good translator!! It has 3 parts
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar´s Gauntlets

Veteran-Sergeant

I used some paper mache eggs I found at Hobby Lobby. They are about the height of a drop pod. I didn't want my opponents complaining about LOS issues. I used spackle to seal them and putty to sculpt on some details. You could cut the egg to make an open spore as well. I really wish GW would stop making rules for models that they don't make.

Chaplain

Ive always thought of a tennis ball with the felt ripped off and slit open and a few tenticals coming out maybe even having a genestealer crawling out of it, paint it put it on a base i was thinking dreadnought size and your done.

Or you can do what all the tyranid players did at my local GW go to the local pound shop and look in the toys area there were some really convincing alien pods (not egg shaped but more closed drop pod shaped and self standing) that they sprayed and painted and works really well

Battle-Brother

I've seen some nice ones made from coconut shells

Librarian

I also found these other links to give you more ideas...

[url]http://westgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12208[/url]

[url]http://aguardsmansguidetoglory.blogspot.com/2011/02/delivering-hordes-mycetic-spore.html[/url]
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar´s Gauntlets

Brother-Captain

We had a guy show up to a tournament with a bunch of these glued to bases: [url]http://www.fourmilab.ch/images/Romanesco/images/Scr1.jpg[/url]

Found in your local grocery store. He made a cast using Oogoo and filled it with plaster. Total cost was something like $20 for a dozen of them (he sold the extras to friends). They look pretty cool imo, and they're certainly easy enough.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast