BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Tyranids: still the horror to be feared? Or just a pesky fly you bat out of the way?

Ok so I've seen alot of posts from nid, and non nid, players on different sites about how the nids are in a decline. They're done as far as some are concerned. Now excluding the people who fear the apocalypse is coming whenever they feel a breeze, there is enough concern to maybe raise the question that there are too many armies that can use the bugs then toss them aside. I had tried not to believe them as well, but now I have a fellow nid player throwing in the towel with them for the tourney's saying that they just can't do it anymore.

So my question to the masses of the lounge. If you are a nid player do you feel we (I myself collect nids) can be a force to be reckoned with in tourney's or not. And if you're not a nid player your input is wanted too as maybe you have an opinion after facing nids. Or just have an opinion period. Thank you all in advance, I'm using this to decide if I invest the final 300 in finishing them now or later
    Last edited by shadosun; 05-28-2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: fixed bad sentence structure

judging from the full codex nids can do quite OK.
    judging just those units the nids currently have available as modells from gw its pointless (meaning: you really NEED tervigons, tyrannofexes and pods).

the nid and de books should have shown GW two prime examples of how to NOT do a army release and how you should instead do it: some randomly trown out changes and a few randomly new metal modells as well as a pretty cheap forgeworld transform to plastic while the true gems stay unreleased is WRONG. writing a powerfull, charackterfull and full of options book with interesting spezial rules while releaseing the core models first and all but the named ICs within a short timeframge is RIGHT.

I mean the nid book is older than the de and is missing 3 core modells while the DE will have all but one (voidraven bomber) available in a few weeks.

so yeah, its not the book thats bad but the support...

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Xas View Post
    judging from the full codex nids can do quite OK.
    judging just those units the nids currently have available as modells from gw its pointless (meaning: you really NEED tervigons, tyrannofexes and pods).

the nid and de books should have shown GW two prime examples of how to NOT do a army release and how you should instead do it: some randomly trown out changes and a few randomly new metal modells as well as a pretty cheap forgeworld transform to plastic while the true gems stay unreleased is WRONG. writing a powerfull, charackterfull and full of options book with interesting spezial rules while releaseing the core models first and all but the named ICs within a short timeframge is RIGHT.

I mean the nid book is older than the de and is missing 3 core modells while the DE will have all but one (voidraven bomber) available in a few weeks.

so yeah, its not the book thats bad but the support...
    Not a nid player but I agree totally that they didn't get the support they needed
    Last edited by Brotherjames; 05-29-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: IPhone sucks

Battle-Brother

That has been one of my biggest issues playing with the nids. I don't enjoy doing conversions, and yet units I need don't exist. There is maybe hopes of a tervigon on the horizon, kinda hard to tell really, I think its just wishful thinking but a friend of mine said he thought he saw one in the new WD. Specualtion aside though very good point. I'd like to think the codex isn't dead and is capable of winning, but those models need to be released to jump start them some.

I've done alright in tournaments playing Tyranids, but it is difficult to pull off. We absolutely need long-distance anti-transport in order to do well. Sometimes even Hive Guard don't cut it against the fast armies.

Tyrannofexes with rupture cannons, Harpies with TL-Heavy VCs, Winged Tyrants with TL-Devs, poding Thropes. All very expensive units, but it's our only options for decently ranged AT shots. Honestly I don't even care about killing heavy vehicles with these, as long as they don't shoot, I'm okay with that.

I have taken a break from 40K and when I did play I sucked not because I played Nids but because I am still getting use to the rules. More collector/modeler than playing. When I do play, it seems the rules changes so never really played a true 40K game much.

From what I gather from peoples opnion on the net and playing, it's easiest to play SM type armies. From what I see about 50% of players play SM type armies for either fluff because they like them, or from what I gather because it's easier to win with.

This is not saying Tyranids can't win, some people claim they won some tournies with them, but it's EASIER with SM because it seems people HAVE to win playing with plastic toy soldiers. for some reasons.

From what I gather, Tyranids is like playing with Dark Eldar, they can win, but it's possible to win with them, BUT you need to be patient with them and an experianced player can do good with them. Sadly I have seen experinaced players on the internet give up on them because they say Tyranids can't do good in the Tourney scene and shelved them sadly.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Veteran-Sergeant

I would have to say that Tyranids are one of the harder armies to play for tournaments out there. Right from the get go you are behind everyone else due to limited anti tank weapon options and Robin Crudace's huge over estimate of how powerful Monstrous Creature with no inlvun save are (almost all are massively overpriced).

You can definelty win, you just have to work that much harder then everyone else. That being said with every new release that comes out though it makes winning tougher and tougher (DE is THE nightmare draw at a tournament for Tyranids closely followed by GK). I am a long time Tyranid player (almost 20 years) and once my DE are painted the Tyranids are getting put on the shelf until their new codex comes out.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulio View Post
    I would have to say that Tyranids are one of the harder armies to play for tournaments out there. Right from the get go you are behind everyone else due to limited anti tank weapon options and Robin Crudace's huge over estimate of how powerful Monstrous Creature with no inlvun save are (almost all are massively overpriced).

You can definelty win, you just have to work that much harder then everyone else. That being said with every new release that comes out though it makes winning tougher and tougher (DE is THE nightmare draw at a tournament for Tyranids closely followed by GK). I am a long time Tyranid player (almost 20 years) and once my DE are painted the Tyranids are getting put on the shelf until their new codex comes out.
    WOW that bad huh? Thats gonna be a long time before we get a new one sadly. I just kinda hoped that I'd hear they do better, I really don't plan on playing in top competitive games, but still I'd like to know my army can, and with nids that chance seems to be dwindling. Esp. with the cron's finally getting their rebirth if the rumors I see are true (which they're rumors can't really believe them) they could mess up the MC's alot too.

Chaplain

One thing that turned me away from the new Nid book almost instantly was how expensive hive tyrants were and yet they have *no* invulnerable save, which is idiotic.
    The 4th Doctor has long scarf to protect him from hate.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    One thing that turned me away from the new Nid book almost instantly was how expensive hive tyrants were and yet they have *no* invulnerable save, which is idiotic.
    Too true! Robbin Cruddace has basically made the Hive Tyrant DEPENDANT on the hive guard, unless you go for the flyrant config.
    As for the book as a whole, I haven't experienced much trouble playing with it. This being said, me and my friend are not really competitive players.
    Master Bryss and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    Hi, I'm Titans newest recruit. PREPARE TO BE PURGED!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast