BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

@Velium: At least one of the players does run halberd spam, I haven't seen the other guys list yet. Is it worth the mandrakes giving up infiltrate/outflank? Are you suggesting to run them on foot in my deployment zone? I also fight Eldar and 'nids, so while the Crucible is unpredictable, it seems too much fun to pass up.

@Cheese: Warwalkers outflanked me, blasted my venom out of the sky, and then caught up with my trueborn as they were making a retreat from the wreckage. The Ork player runs a lot of killa kans and dreads, so it's useful for tank killing if I get desperate, though as you say, I will probably already be losing.

for the mandrakes, yeah its worth losing the special deployment. you really dont gain anything by infiltrating on orks. put them in cover, blast away and then slink forward once the boyz pass you to get your "tastier" units. its not a list tailor or anything, but it does let you use a creative deployment to wreak some havoc. it does wonders on poorly armored nid and guard hordes, too... eldar dont have many armor saves better than 4+, either. so having an fnp squad with something like 20 str 4 ap 4 shots on turn one can outweigh silly deployments that just get your fragile mandrakes closer to death.

vs the halberd spam gk's incubi might not be the BEST choice, but its still not a bad one and the klaivex can take an ap3 flamer in bloodstone. 2-3 dead gk's from the flamer and then youre about trading point for point killing halberd gk's with incubi. if he runs halberd strikes he only has one attack. if youre aggressive and hit him with an str 4 power weapon unit you can really put the hurt on him because he'll only hit you half the time and still need three's to wound with the blows that land. keep in mind that theyre also a great, great great squad for killing non halberd other MEQ's

Good points. At the moment I only have two Incubi and Klaivex w/ Demiklaives(old Drazhar model). Is this enough for an effective squad, or is a 5 strong group better?

I wouldn't run them below 5 men.

As for the War Walker, that was just bad luck. The Ork Player that spams Killa Kans and Dreads would be hard to kill anyway. Dark Eldar really aren't great at AT whether you use Haywire Spam, Lance Spam or a mix of everything, we just can't do it as well as other armies. The main reason Haywires don't work against Walkers is because you're hitting on 6's, which will usually only result in a single hit, maybe 2 and that means very little damage done, if any. Haywire Blasters on the other hand are quite decent...

Played some games, revised my list:
    HQ
    Lady Malys 130(joins Wyches)

Haemonculus 80(joins Wracks)
    -Liquifier Gun
    -Agoniser

Elites
    3x 3 Kabalite Trueborn 86(small sniper groups)
    -2x Dark Lances

Venom 65(zooms around by itself dakka-ing stuff)
    -2x Splinter Cannon

Troops
    2x 10 Warriors 100
    -Splinter Cannon

9 Wyches 148 (go in Raider)
    -Hekatrix w/ Agoniser
    -Hydra Gauntlet
    -Haywire Grenades

9 Wracks 100 (go in Raider)
    -Liquifier Gun

2x Raider 75
    -Dark Lance
    -Shock Prow
    -Flickerfield

Heavy Support
    Ravager 115
    -3x Dark Lances
    -Flickerfield

Cronos 100
    -Spirit Vortex

Voidraven Bomber 155
    -Flickerfield

Again with the Haywires. I swear they're the Thousand Sons of Dark Eldar.

As for the rest of it, I only have 1 problem; it's 1 point over. It's a point limit, not suggestion. Hey! I figured out a great way to get under the points! Drop the Haywires.

I'd rather drop a shock prow, they've been far more useless. It may also intrigue you that Thousand Sons is the only CSM army that I have an interest in.

1k Sons are not bad fluff or model wise, but their rules are terrible. The main reason I compared them to Haywire Grenades is because everytime a person see's them the first time they think they're just the best thing ever, and usually continue to believe so until they try other things and realise that there's just so many other better things that those points could be spent on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12