BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Is there anything scary in 40k?

With the frequency of exterminatus to me it has lost it's sense of any drama in the 40k universe. In pretty much every Black Library book or GW codex there is at least one planet wiped out. The Imperium seems to have an endless supply of planets capable of sustaining life. The geo-form concept has only been mentioned once that I can remember.

In battles it seems that a couple million guardsmen or heretics can just be slaughtered and no one cares?
    A continents worth of people, gone and who cares? The heroic leaders of factions refuse to die and kill a couple hundred Orks, Tyranids, or cultists and walk away like nothing happened.

More annoyingly is that we read that "insert name" is the most evil and most corrupted, capable of making planets go caplooie with just a thought. If you are one of the big guys you all have so much power no one has any power. In the HH books I think I have heard someone describe every Primarch as the Emporer's most loyal son.

I remember reading a post about a Khorne Berzerker that stopped to salute his opponent after they had killed several of his squad mates, for the big guys it seems that a couple berzerkers generally isn't even worth flinching at, unless you are a little guy then maybe if you have thirty mates you can take him.

I guess basically my feeling is that when you try and make everything dark and scary nothing is scary.

The rant is over, does anyone else agree?

Veteran-Sergeant

I know something scary: Squats
    "All power... demands sacrifice..." ~ Sindri Myr

Adeptus Custodes

The prices.
    More Necromunda please.

Veteran-Sergeant

40K isn't really a horror based game.

Some of the BL books have actually put a chill down my spine; Prospero Burns being the last one I read, and the Inquisition (Draco) series being the first.

Outside of Black Library, I don't think you're going to find much of anything that's very scary.

Quote Originally Posted by grailkeeper View Post
    the prices.
    hahahaahahahaahaha!!!!!!
    Dark Eldar 4000pts, Eldar 2000pts, Dark Angels 2500pts, Tau 2000pts.

I think Dark Eldar would be quite scary when you think of what they would do to you. The most painful, degrading, soul destroying things that you can imagine and they mastered those thousands upon thousands of years ago.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chaplain

Also they aren't very nice.
    The 4th Doctor has long scarf to protect him from hate.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I think Dark Eldar would be quite scary when you think of what they would do to you. The most painful, degrading, soul destroying things that you can imagine and they mastered those thousands upon thousands of years ago.
    And all because it makes them stave off Slaanesh's hunger.
    Dark Eldar 4000pts, Eldar 2000pts, Dark Angels 2500pts, Tau 2000pts.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    People pay for that level of punishment....

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

No, they really don't. DE would would make thumb screws, waterboarding, the rack, sleep deprivation and watching reality television seem positively benign. This assumes you are dealing with kabalites, if you get handed over the haemonculi its even worse. Wyches at least would just stick you in the arena and slice you up for lulz.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast