BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Exclamation Something concrete on the two lost Legions?

Ok, feel free to roll out some hefty barrels of salt for this one, especially given that it's on the THQ Space Marine forums, but here's [URL="http://www.spacemarine.com/gb/forums/topic/1292"]a repost of a reply asking about the missing Primarchs[/URL]:

Are you referring to the two "mystery" Space Marine legions that "dissapeared"?

Well, if it means anything, Games Workshop have given Dan Abnett the green light to write about them.

I'm still certain one of them was the Rainbow Marines, and that Games Workshop brushed them under the carpet out of embarassment ;P
    I'd not heard this, I've not seen Dan post anything regarding it, so I'm not one to believe it outright, though I'd certainly like it to be true..

Could be something, could be nothing, but then again, I'd feel it's more of a disservice to leave it as a mystery than giving us something proper.

After all, the "you can make up your own Legion fluff" is something that nobody would do for risk of being laughed out of their FLGS.
    Chapters fine, Legions, no..

Thoughts?
    ARMIES: IRON HANDS, NIGHT LORDS, OGRE KINGDOMS

Brother-Sergeant

Hopefully it's not true. The two missing legions should stay missing and mysterious. 40k still needs a bit of mystery in its background afterall. And nothing GW could produce would live up to the speculation that has accrued over the past twenty odd years and would almost certainly be disappointing no matter who penned the tale.

Veteran-Sergeant

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-pope View Post
    Hopefully it's not true. The two missing legions should stay missing and mysterious. 40k still needs a bit of mystery in its background afterall. And nothing GW could produce would live up to the speculation that has accrued over the past twenty odd years and would almost certainly be disappointing no matter who penned the tale.
    I'm not sure, given that so far they've successfully given loads of really interesting "new" parts to the Horus Heresy, and could literally continue with the trend of non-linear book releases for years to come, fleshing out more of the crusade and adding more intrigue and interest.
    Hell, we've still not met a few primarchs properly..

Look at some of the new parts we'veseen, there has been so much excellent writing from the authors that it'd be a shame not to see more 30k background being illuminated.

For what it's worth, as much as I love Dan Abnett, I'd rather see Aaron Dembski-Bowden take on either the missing Legions/Primarchs or the final fight between the Emperor and Horus.
    Damn, that guy can write a good book.
    ARMIES: IRON HANDS, NIGHT LORDS, OGRE KINGDOMS

I think either would be a good choice, but my love for Abnett leaves me biased. I don't think there is any harm in telling the tale of the missing Primarchs and Legions - for me there is still plenty of intrigue regarding the Illuminati, the shadowy group from the book Legion and loads of other offshoots to keep people guessing and speculating. And the writers of fluff and the novels really know how to surprise people - the Garro audio novel had a brilliant and welcome surprise in store!

Librarian

I´ve always thought that GW always left that two blank spaces for us, to create our own 2 Legions and their Primarchs, in order to play with them...

And as you said, it´s good that not all the fluff is told from 1st Edition, they must always contain something new for the old players!!
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar´s Gauntlets

I'd like to see it personally.I certainly think it would be worth a read, and it'd stop all the home-made Chaos fluff about how their Legion came from one of the missing Primarchs. It's really quite annoying...

Who is this person and what is his source?
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Scout

The person may have simply been alluding to the fact that Dan Abnett and Graham McNeill both made specific mention of the two "missing" legions in Prospero Burns and A Thousand Sons. Although nothing concrete has been said (mostly just insinuation from characters who would be "in the know"), it is almost taken as lore now that the Space Wolves were created/allowed to live by the Emperor as a means to keep the other legions in check. Basically the Space Wolves are so vicious and burtal and single-minded in their approach to war that they alone could take out another legion. It is hinted at once or twice in these two books (and others) that they have been used for this purpose already as the "missing" primarchs went too far in their dabbling with the warp or for other such heinous crimes against the Emperor.
    This approach by the authors of the Heresy series IMO strikes a good balance between feeding the fluff-junkies their hit of "must-know-everything-ever-about-everything-that-happens-in-40K-lore" (I'll admit I fall into this basket) and maintaining the mystery that allows for creativity, so those who do want to come up with their own stories won't be flying in the face of the lore. They've done the same thing with the Dark Angels/Fallen Angels where there have been hints and such; in some cases they've outright said what happened but through a fallen's perspective (can he be trusted?).
    And there it happened, I've rambled. Sorry. Hope this answered something though.

Adeptus Custodes

I'm pretty sure rainbow warriors are a later founding, not a missing legion
    More Necromunda please.

I'm one of the people that hates not knowing everything that happened. So not only would I like them to tell us what happened to the missing Legions, I'd also like them to radically advance the current timeline, even so far as getting to the final battles we keep hearing about and learning about what happened to all the Primarchs that went missing. After all, the point of a story is to be told, not be half told and left to other people to make up what they want. But that's just me.

Also, I'd always thought the Rainbow Warriors were founded from Ultramarine genestock, but can find no mention of it when I just searched.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast