BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Space Hulk Rules

I bit the bullet and ordered a copy of Space Hulk.

However, since it's my understanding that they are starting to arrive on people's doorsteps, I have a question:

What are the differences in the rules from the old edition to the new edition?

...this needn't be an exhaustive listing, but some of the key points - if any. I'm concerned that they might have spent all their time sculpting and very little revising the rules.

Can anyone who's seen both editions help out?

Veteran-Sergeant

Well, I have never seen, let alone played any of the original editions.

However, from what others have said in my company, the rules are essentially first edition rules with things like the Assault Cannon, Lightning Claws etc. added in from the expansions. Obviously I don't know the specific changes or anything, but that seems to be the general consensus from people I've spoken to.
    +++The Imperator Contego Indomitable Fortress+++
    +++The 23rd Joint Assault Group+++

Scout

I belive that in the latest WD they said something to the effect of they didnt want to change the game just bring it back with really cool new models etc.

I never got a chance to play the first edition, but this one is so much fun. Was the broodlord in the first edition? Hes super nasty

Battle-Brother

Default Rules Changes

I have the first edition, with much of the expansions and the second edition as well, including WD missions. This new edition comes with 12 missions, with different squad arrangements for each one, similar to the old White Dwarf published missions that included new games pieces, rules for new characters, squads and weapons. The included timer and score card helps keep the game fast and easy. The Genestealers can no longer lurk indefinitely(only one turn), can no longer "reveal" at will during any time,turn or phase. They can reveal during their turn instead of activating the blip. Also the rules state that the genestealers are limited to those in the box(can't stack blips/models with a bag 'o genestealers in your pocket to overwhelm the marines), so any extras(blip units not represented by a physicak model not already in play) are are lost. So some of the tricks you could play with the genestealers are gone. The marine has a better chance than in the old game, can reload the assault cannon, as before. The flamer rules have reverted to first edition "section" effect, and model has to roll everytime they move in an affected square, not just the initial shot, any othermovement in that turn(needs a 1 to survive). The sustained fire bonus is there, but doesn't go down to '3', for successive shots, just '5. The command points are drawn again, and you can use them in the other players turn as well, overwatch is there and you get the sustained fire bonus, and assault cannon can be in overwatch, overall it looks like they really did a good job on this package all the way around, there is even a new rule, 'guard', you can re-roll your assaullt roll, when they assault you on their turn, like a close combat overwatch! Pretty cool! The brood lord is brutal, and you don't use the librarian much, it seems. Needs more missions............expansion anyone?????

Chaplain

I've not played Space Hulk since the mid 90's (2nd edition). I read the rules last night and I'm a bit confused on this whole "voluntary" "involuntary" revealing and "activation" of the blips. Could someone give me a brief explanation?

The way I remember it; any time a blip came into line of sight it was revealed and the genestealers placed, end of story.

Thanks for the help in advance.

http://pitoftheoni.blogspot.com

Voluntary conversion is when you can choose to, instead of activating your blip, flip it and convert it to genestealers during your activation phase. Involuntary conversion refers to whena Termie gets LoS to your genestealers and forces you to reveal.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Craz View Post
    Voluntary conversion is when you can choose to, instead of activating your blip, flip it and convert it to genestealers during your activation phase. Involuntary conversion refers to whena Termie gets LoS to your genestealers and forces you to reveal.
    OK, and what's the strategy behind doing it this way? Only to be able to place your own genestealers?

http://pitoftheoni.blogspot.com

From memory of previous versions voluntary is good when you wouldn't be able to place all the models the blip contains should it be involuntary revealed.

Battle-Brother

Thanks for the replies, Gents.

It sounds as if they've done a fairly solid revision, but didn't go too deep.

Of course for those making up their own missions - as I'm sure many will do - you can always add more genestealers to the mix!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast