BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Default How emotionally invested in this game are you?

I am not emotionally invested in this game at all. I'll admit that from the start. I only play this game because my friends do. If they were to announce tomorrow they were sick of it and renounced this game forever, every single GW product I own would be on Ebay the following day. I enjoy the game, but I've been playing war games for almost 20 years. I'm not married to this one. I do enjoy painting the minis, but then again I've been painting miniatures for 27+ years. Personally I don't find Citadel minis to be as "stunning" as some people do, although I normally will pay between $25 to $30 for a mini that I would consider stunning. I do find the Eldar (both varieties) to be aesthetically pleasing, but the Orks are comic book caricatures, and the humans (especially the marines) aren't much better. Now honestly, look at this image and tell me you cannot find a little humor in such an itty-bitty head on so huge and misshapen a body.

The art work is top notch, but every time I see this it reminds me of the shrunken head guy.

Recently, I and others have made some statements of fact that have generated a rather unexpected outpouring of angst. Caught by surprise, my knee-jerk reaction was to assume it was either zealotry, obnoxiousness or (in some cases) possible stoogery. Lately it has occurred to me it could be something a bit more primal, akin to the situation where a buddy brings his new girlfriend around to show off, only to hear you say, "Wow ... where did you dig THAT up?"

So ... what's your story? How emotionally committed are you to this game? Is it your passion or just your pass time? Is it your one true love or just something you "hit" whenever you get the itch?

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Have to say it's my passion, no other wargame intrests me tbh ... Oh and the Marneus Calgar only looks weird because of Perspective, it seems to be a minor devation from the looking up prospective, meaning his head looks tiny, because his fists and legs look so godawfully big, which also applies to him having about half-a-foot of armour on his chest alone (forcing his head back further)
    [I][I] =][= "Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse” =][=

I'm very emotionally invested in it, which isn't to say I won't criticise GW when I think it is warranted. Sadly I think most criticism is unwarranted or at least overblown beyond all sense of proportion.

If it weren't for Eldar I wouldn't be so interested in in 40k I have to admit, they really are stunning ranges. I'm with you on the humans, besides the SoB I find the IG and SM ranges a bit dull.

I always thought the actual man part of Calgar was just in the torso in that picture (he lost his arms and legs againt the Tyranids or someone) and the rest was just massively armoured cybernetics in an ornate terminator suit. Almost half dreadnought if you see what I mean.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I always thought the actual man part of Calgar was just in the torso in that picture (he lost his arms and legs againt the Tyranids or someone) and the rest was just massively armoured cybernetics in an ornate terminator suit. Almost half dreadnought if you see what I mean.
    Hmmm. Maybe he's looking like Mr. GrumpyPants then because he's got an itch on his nose he knows he can't do anything about.

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Librarian

Can you imagine?

"Itchy nose... whoops my power fist is still activated. Bye-bye head."
    Touched by His Noodly Appendage

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    Hmmm. Maybe he's looking like Mr. GrumpyPants then because he's got an itch on his nose he knows he can't do anything about.
    haha, i could just picture that huge powerfist trying to scratch his nose

Maybe he has one of those wierd little flying robot babies do it for him.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chaplain

For me, i'm emotionally involved. Having infested so much money and so many hours painting my SoB army, how can i not be. But its not just how much i have spent, i love fluff, miniatures and ability to play them against all others. And mostly win.

It's a passion you get when you play so many years i think. I have played since Rogue Trader days (the rpg that is) and then in 2nd Ed with DA's. Sold them off as soon as i say SoB and never turned back.
    Lately i have bought into SM's again, only Salamanders, i guess thats because they too like melta/flamers and i also love to paint them.
    Emotionally there is nothing better than when friends come to me to paint their character miniatures and after they are done i can look at them (the figure that is) and be proud of the painting i have to the best of my ability.
    "Heretics crave the cleansing fire of absolution. They need not fear, for we shall deliver"

Chapter-Master

I am as emotionally invested in a hobby as I could be having played since 1990...

I think why there is so much zealotry in the recent discussions is a backlash against the PP Fanboys etc (I'll lump them all together).

If you took them back to childhood, it would somewhat grate if someone was coming up in the playground singing 'Na-Na-Naa-Na-Naaaaa, your expensive toy (gun/Buzz Lightyear/car/thermonuclear device/insert here) is broken! Mines not, its cheaper and better and we can play better games with it. AND the manufacturer hates you, you should only use this brand because its so much betterer...'

This is pretty much the equivalent of what people have been doing and I find it quite annoying myself - something about the gloater or boaster that doesn't sit well with me. Long ago when BoLS started to branch out, I suggested more than once they should split the content (ie [url]www.belloflostsoulsW40K.net[/url], [url]www.belloflostsoulsWFB.net[/url], [url]www.belloflostsoulswarmahordes.net[/url]).

Then fanboys can play in their respective sandboxes without winding up the others.

Until then the rivalry and sniping across the lines will continue. I just hope they remember that if PP ever became big enough to truly threaten GW, they would probably have moved from 'cottage' to 'big industry' and would therefore probably become corporate whores.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Librarian

I´m also emotionally involved...

Not only for the years buying the stuff, even for the money spent on that!!

It has been the first miniatures´ game so... It´s the one that opened that gate
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar´s Gauntlets

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast