BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

But that is what Mantics entire business model is based on, selling kits to GW players looking for variety or a cheaper alternative. Everything they release will not look too different from GW and have a GW analog, even if it is an analog which no longer has an official army book/codex.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Does anyone else find it a bit funny that Mantic's new add for Warpath cites "makers of the finest fantasy miniatures" ? I mean, the finest? Seriously? I could toss out at least a handful of companies making fantasy miniatures that are far better:

GW
    Enigma
    GameZone
    Scibor

I'm sure there are others, as well.

Just thought it was humorous

Yep, but hyperbolic advertising is only bad when GW do it. Same with price rises, Mantic are increasing the prices on their metal blisters by 12-43% and is there outrage? No, only GW deserves outrage.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Well obviously. You must stick it to the man (GW).

I still think the majority of Mantic's line is ugly. I even tried Dwarf Kings Hold at Adepticon and left wholly unimpressed. I got stuck in a loop with the demo guy where a situation occured where I had to roll a 6 or nothing could happen. I couldn't roll a 6, and said enough was enough.

Have to agree on the range. Had such high hopes, as it is the only models I like are the basic undead infantry. I'm hip to true scale, but I don't want Elves that look like emaciated, shaved apes or clone dwarfs or shaved rat Orcs. I think Mantic might have some troulbe in the future, what with Avatars of War making [URL="http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&It emid=63"]plastic kits[/URL] that are a thousand times better than anything they have ever produced.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Have to agree on the range. Had such high hopes, as it is the only models I like are the basic undead infantry. I'm hip to true scale, but I don't want Elves that look like emaciated, shaved apes or clone dwarfs or shaved rat Orcs. I think Mantic might have some troulbe in the future, what with Avatars of War making [URL="http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&It emid=63"]plastic kits[/URL] that are a thousand times better than anything they have ever produced.
    Exactly. Those Avatars of War Berzerkers are insanely nice. I can't wait to get my hands on a box. I've had a few of the AoW heroes for my armies for some time now. They are simply stunning.

Yep, I mean 17EU for 20 of [URL="http://www.thorshammer.tv/images/mantic_ironclad_troop.jpg"]these[/URL], or 25EU for 20 of [URL="http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&It emid=63"]these[/URL]. Its hardly worth asking the question.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Personally I'm waiting to see what PP throws out for their upcoming sci-fi game level7 don't know much about it but depending on the setting I could give the bait a bight.

Chapter-Master

You understand you're going to be waiting for over a year, right?

How long do you wait for a non SM codex, thats right up to 10 years....

Why is it Mantic is 'copying GW ' when they do what EVERY minature manufacturere does when they started out?
    EG make minatures for popular ranges that can be used with several rule sets.

And using conversion sets to expand the basic ranges is a cost effective way to widen the apeal too.

Asthetics is purley pesonal chioce so just buy what you like the look of..

The reason people dont respond badly when Mantic increase the price of metal minatures.
    Is because MANTIC ONLY raise prices when they have too.(Not as a matter of course)

And the increse in price ONLY applies to the character models that represent a small fraction of the cost of a KoW army.
    The metal UNITS have been converted to plastic resin (by Rendra).
    And Mantic DOUBLED the quantity in the boxes and kept the price the SAME.

Ronnie explained what was happening ,and the course of action Mantic were taking.
    As Ronnie and co are quite happy to hold proper 2 way communication with thier customer base.(AND listen to what thier customer base wants.)
    (Mantic dont pretend to be an entire hobby, but acept and define the place within the hobby they wish to establish themselves.)

Unlike GW plc.Who target the demoghraphic easiest to please ,(children) and belive they are infallable and think communication with the customers is unecissary.(Apart from selling them the latest realeases.)

I just ask you dont make snap judgments on a new game in ALPHA testing ,and only 1st draught concept sketches .
    As this is just unfair.
    (My opinion of GW plc is based on 20 years interaction and observation across the spectrum of its operations.)

AOW make nice minatures at reasonable prices too.

But I would suggest AoW minatures are more suitable for smaller sized games where individual detail is more important than in RaF infantry blocks.IMO.

Some gamers that want to play big batles want to get the army up and running asap.So ease of assembly ,painting and overall cost is a bigger factor than the level of detail per minature to these sorts of gamers.

There is no right or wrong , just different .Which is why the table top minature gaming hobby is so wide and diverse, god bless it!
    Last edited by Mauglum.; 06-23-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast