BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    The undead certainly, but their Orcs look like shaved skaven.
    That's an insult to Skaven everywhere. I take personal offense

Truthfully though, I agree. In my opinion the Mantic Orcs look horrible.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chronowraith View Post
    That's an insult to Skaven everywhere. I take personal offense

Truthfully though, I agree. In my opinion the Mantic Orcs look horrible.
    I can't really see how either you or Eldargal can say that. The Mantic Orcs look like a creature that actually might want to form an army with his numerous brethren and kill stuff. They have a serious and gritty feel that GW Orcs lack in a huge way. GW Orcs look like someone's idea of a joke. A nicely sculpted joke, admittedly, but a joke nonetheless. They look ridiculous and cartoonish, as if their chief opponents would be Scooby and the gang, rather than heroes in a fantasy (or sci-fi) saga.

I think Mantic Orcs will appeal to those who find GW's old cockney silliness more than a bit tiresome.

Quote Originally Posted by mikethefish View Post
    I can't really see how either you or Eldargal can say that. The Mantic Orcs look like a creature that actually might want to form an army with his numerous brethren and kill stuff. They have a serious and gritty feel that GW Orcs lack in a huge way. GW Orcs look like someone's idea of a joke. A nicely sculpted joke, admittedly, but a joke nonetheless. They look ridiculous and cartoonish, as if their chief opponents would be Scooby and the gang, rather than heroes in a fantasy (or sci-fi) saga.

I think Mantic Orcs will appeal to those who find GW's old cockney silliness more than a bit tiresome.
    To me the Mantic ones look like body builders with ballerina legs. If they fixed that problem then I'd think more highly of them as that is my primary complaint.

As far as GW Orks (Orcs) they have grown much less cartoony over the years. The current iteration is far better and less cartoony than the stuff they put out in the 80s and early 90s. Personally, I think GW hit a nice balance between comical and threatening with the current models.

That being said, all of this comes down to personal taste, which is a highly subjective matter. You like the Mantic ones better, I prefer the GW ones better.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

I just find them completely uninspiring with more than a little resemblence to shaved ratmen. I'm not saying they are bad (unlike the Mantic Dwarfs which are a disgrace on every possible level), just that they are really rather silly looking and uninspired. For the record I don't much like GW Orcs or Orcs in general.

Quote Originally Posted by mikethefish View Post

Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

If Mantic takes this seriously, and with low prices, If I were GW´s Staff would be a little worried...

Good luck to Alessio and all that Mantic guys!!
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar´s Gauntlets

Nice to see Mantic are sticking with the 80s miniature range vibe:

Delightful.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Nice to see Mantic are sticking with the 80s miniature range vibe:
    Delightful.
    did we not like the 80's?

Hi all.
    Perhaps no-one wants to talk about the elephant in the room...so I shall.

40k, great minatures, pants rule set.

Warpath may be a great rule set that the 40k minatures have been waiting13 years for!

Alessio can write with clarity brevity and wit.
    Even if the minature range doesn not appeal to your asthetic preferences , game play focused rules migh be VERY appealing.

Its rather ironic when you consider Alessio was responsible for one of the most unpopular codices GW ever produced (CSM). He even took full responsibility recently, absolving Gav Thorpe.

Personally I expect you will be right, the ruleset will be solid if dull and the models range will be rubbish to everyone except the most embiteered anti-GW defector. (tongue in cheek. Partly)

Well, I'm liking what I see in the alpha rules (yes they are out already). It could have had deeper gameplay, but then again half of the allure of Mantic games is the simple rules. If the minis are good enough I'll surely get myself an army. Also, the rules for Aircraft seem pretty good to me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast