BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lemt View Post
    Well, I'm liking what I see in the alpha rules (yes they are out already). It could have had deeper gameplay, but then again half of the allure of Mantic games is the simple rules. If the minis are good enough I'll surely get myself an army. Also, the rules for Aircraft seem pretty good to me.
    I like simple rules. Unfortunately, The KoW rules aren't simple - they're workmanlike. They have all of the basic elements that need to be in a rules set in order to get from point A (the start of the game) to point B (determining a winner of the battle) without any real style or flair. There's nothing there to really get me excited about playing the game.

I think the problem is that the rules were an afterthought to a set of minis that was really meant to be used as an alternative to another game (Warhammer) as opposed to being created to bring their own world to life.

I hope that Warpath doesn't suffer from this lack of creative spark.

Well, there's certainly no fluff or backstory available yet, so not much I can say about it. However, I WOULD welcome special rules on the different units. Right now all the units from the 2 factions with rules are just differen stats and weapons.

Jay Aden.
    All types of gamers like all sorts of rules.So you just pick the rule set you like best...

Eldargal.
    In reguard to 'that Chaos Dex'
    IF the gamers EXPECT loads of overcomplication that leads to heavy strategic focus.Then it not suprising they dont like something that doesnt live up to thier expectations....

Please remeber GW has had over 2 decades to work on thier background and rules.
    Mantci have not even relesed thier new sci fi game yet.
    And the KoW is only just out of BETA.

So come back in 10 years and we might get a fairer comparision...

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mauglum. View Post
    So come back in 10 years and we might get a fairer comparision...
    What you mean is iff they're around in ten years, have sold over a million copies of a video game, and have a heathly and profitable literature line, right?

My two cents...

I would like Mantic a great deal more if their major marketing didn't seem to be "let's sell models to disgruntled GW players" and came up with their own races.

They seriously lost any credibility they may have had with me after ORX

Verilence.
    Mantic are selling to gamers that like big battles with lots of minatures.
    They provide straight forward rules that let large games be played as easily as smaller games .
    And the provide a range of minatures at competative prices, that allow large armies to be built quickly.

Concidering GW plc '..is in the buisness of selling toy soldiers to kidies...' acording to Tom Kirby Chairman of GW plc.

How can Mantic be 'targeting disgruntled GW customers?'
    As Mantic are quite clearly targeting a different demoghraphic to GW plc.

And using the standard tropes of fantasy is what most minature companies do.
    If I want fantasy dwarves elves orcs etc, there are loads of companies selling them.

Mantic are not making cheap poor quality 'herocic 'scale GW minature clones .
    But producing thier own range of TRUE SCALE minatures with thier own asthetic.
    (You either like them or you dont.)

wittdooley.
    Yes if Mantic Games are stil in buisness in 10 years time.We can compare them to GW with a more fair comparison.
    AFAIK, GW only had TTMG after being in busness for 10 years.(1977 to 1987.)

Then they should release a race that is not easily transferred or pre existing in Warhammer or 40K then I will believe you that they are not marketing to GW players.

I imagine more people use the models to play GW games than actually waited for the release of the Kings of War rule set.
    Last edited by Verilance; 06-19-2011 at 05:25 PM.

What you mean is iff they're around in ten years, have sold over a million copies of a video game, and have a heathly and profitable literature line, right?
    Yes, that's what he meant by ''comparing''. You just successfully used a word. Congratulations.

Also, litterature?!?!? Litterature refers to written art, not written ****. I would allow some of Abnett's work to be called litterature, by extension, but thats all.

Hi Verilance.
    You mean you dont like Mantic relaeseing the standard TOLKEN races in fantasy like GW did?
    And Grenadier, and Ral Patha etc ,did before GW.

For 35 years Games comnpanies have realses thier own take on the standard TOLKEN fantasy races.
    But you expect Mantic Games to do something radicaly different in its infancy, jepardising it future?

As far as I am aware we live in a democracy where people have the freedom to chose what they buy.

I know LOTS of gamer that moves from WHFB to KoW because the rule set suits them better.
    GW plc is NOT the only game in town.(Despite how hard GW try to convince you otherwise.)

You pay your money and makes your chioce.
    I am not going to try to tell you what to buy.(I wil leave that to GW.)

Happy gaming

Quote Originally Posted by Mauglum. View Post
    Hi Verilance.
    You mean you dont like Mantic relaeseing the standard TOLKEN races in fantasy like GW did?
    And Grenadier, and Ral Patha etc ,did before GW.

Happy gaming
    no I was talking about releasing Orx as the first race for Warpath, I will also not tell you what to buy however I find their marketing strategy for their model ranges to be cheesy at best and reprehensible at worst.

make up your own races for your SF game is all I ask, not models that you hope to sell to GW players looking for a "better" deal

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast