BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Chaos is...back?

Got tired of not playing Chaos in 40k. Will be awhile before I can buy anything for them because other projects are in the way, but here is version 1 of their comeback army list.

HQ

Grand Praetor Romulus (Abaddon)- 275

Elites

4 Praetorian Guard (Terminators) with lightning claws, mark of khorne- 190

-Dedicated Pre-Heresy Land Raider with Daemonic Possession- 240

Troops

10 Noise Marines, 7 Sonic Blasters, - 285
    -Dedicated Rhino with extra armor

10 Noise Marines, 7 Sonic Blasters, - 285

10 Plague Marines, Two Plasma Guns, Champion with a powerfist- 350

Heavy

3 Obliterators- 225

Defiler with 2 extra close combat weapons- 150

The 4th Doctor has long scarf to protect him from hate.

Chaplain

Not sure I have enough tank hunting, but Chaos tank hunting is so expensive it was hard to squeeze in more and still have the stuff I wanted. I was thinking of perhaps dropping the Defiler for two more obliterators, but figured that a Defiler with that many attacks and fleet is its own form of tank hunting.

In a previous version of the list I had no Defiler and took 5 Chosen with all melta guns for infiltrating tank hunting.

Chapter-Master

OK, some thoughts. YMMV - I play an assault heavy list.

First, your anti-tank. This is Abaddon, the Defiler, your oblits. Also the LR. However Abaddon and the terminators (an awesome unit that will stamp face of anything) want to use the LR taxi to get close so the risk to the LR goes up. I feel the oblits to be a bit brittle (I know that is not the competitive thought) and i would consider dropping for a defiler. 3 Oblits will die to bolters or even lasguns with enough of them. Defilers won't.

The 2 x DCCW defiler is awesome. Unless there is a priority target such as just landed DS'ers, I would fleet him every tun and try to get him into combat. He will rip MEQs and vehicles alike - keep him away from dreads (leave abbaddon to deal with those.)

The troops choices. I assume the Plague Marines are your objective holders armed with Plasma. You could probably drop a couple and have the same effect - ie remain in your plasma pill box aka rhino, on the objective, until forced to bail out. But depending on placement you may wish to go forward and TAKE the enemy on - in which case melta them up. You might as well stnad next to the enemy bolter them up - because the blight grenades mean honours are even when you are charged - you will probably hit last anyway.

The noise marines. A lot of weight of fire, but if my assumption is correct on your plague marines then the noise marines are the assault troops. You are not playing necessarily to their full advantage - the I5. This will mean you kill MEQ quicker than sonic blaster alone - particularly if it is BA or DE with FNP. I think you need Champs, power weapons, and also the assault template S5 AP3 weapon noise marines can have.

Where will you get the points? I recommend ditch the extra armour on the noise rhinos (and probably on the PM as well.) Because Rhinos should last you 1-2 turns max - then you are on the enemy if you have deployed properly. Trust the smoke to keep you going. Turn 1 12" + smoke, turn 2 disembark 2", Move 6", charge 6". A 26" range for turn 2 charge from your baseline, more if you set forward.

I like the terminators and my army is Khorne. But Unfortunately I reckon if you mathhammer the extra attack from Khorne, hitting simultaneously against MEQ, versus the I5 if you go Slaanesh (ehich is still fluffy for Black Legion) the I5 takes it. You will have the points for champs for +1A if you ditch extra armour and/or the oblits for defiler.

Remember some of my modifications may leave you feeling undergunned - when you are locked in hth biting their noses off they can't shoot you so hth > firepower.

Hope this helps,
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chaplain

HQ

Grand Praetor Romulus (Abaddon)- 275

Elites

4 Praetorian Guard (Terminators) with lightning claws, mark of slaanesh, 3 Champions- 220

-Dedicated Pre-Heresy Land Raider with Daemonic Possession- 240

Troops

10 Noise Marines, 7 Sonic Blasters, Champion with doom siren, power weapon- 315
    -Dedicated Rhino

10 Noise Marines, 7 Sonic Blasters, Champion with doom siren, power weapon- 315
    -Dedicated Rhino

10 Plague Marines, Two Plasma Guns, Champion with a powerfist- 335
    -Dedicated Rhino

Heavy

Last edited by BrokenWing; 06-04-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Chaplain

Looks interesting, probably proxy test it next weekend. Saw a Slaanesh army at the GT today (it did...poorly, from what I could tell) and now I just want to go out and buy random Chaos stuff. Sadly, it's too far down on my project list, but I'll get to it.

You have both got me into Chaos again... I will need to purchase my Emporers Children army xD. Btw I like the list, and Abaddon is hard as nails
    [I][I] =][= "Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse” =][=

This seems extremely thin for 2000 points. I think you have more tied up in that Raider/Termies/Abbadon that is really worthwhile.

Chapter-Master

Remember Abaddon is hard enough to get out on his own - so is the Terminator squad. It is quite thin but used correctly can rinse MEQ and mech alike - and pinning or tarpitting hordes is childs play.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Any half-way decent mech eldar or mech guard list would ruin this--it has virtually no long ranged anti-tank. Lascannons on the Raider (which it can't use without slowing down your 500 point uber-close combat unit) and two battlecannons? If it gets lucky against Guard and gets abbadon in, he'll do some damage, but ruining this with Mech Eldar would be child's play--Abbadon would do nothing, and the rest of the army would basically be in the same boat.

I mean, sure--it's going to ruin half-assed mech marines shooting missiles out of rhinos, but that's just not a difficult feat.

Needs more guns. Specifically, more Obliterators. Otherwise, its just a rock--and will lose to its paper pretty much every time.

Chaplain

See, you just basically defined the Chaos codex.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast