BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Librarian

Default DE Airborne tourney variation, need advice

I have a little over 40 points left to spend on this list. I want to spend them as efficiently as possible. This is a mixed gunboat assault list, you can probably see pretty clearly how half of this force just warps across the board on turn one with perhaps the Hellions dropping out of the skies into cover. I also have rare opportunities to just pound away with the long irons against some armies.

Baron Sathonyx

4 Trueborn, 4 blasters
    Venom, extra splinter cannon
    4 Trueborn, 4 blasters

20 Hellions w/ Agonizer and Helliarch

10 Wyches w/ Hekatrix and Agonizer
    Raider w/ Nightshields
    10 Wyches w/ Hekatrix and Agonizer
    Raider w/ Nightshields

Razorwing w/ Splinter cannon, Nightshields, flickerfield

1806/1850 total

General thoughts and severe critique welcome. Tell me what you really think.
    Last edited by thecactusman17; 06-04-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Chapter-Master

Looks really good. But i'd always go for the flickerfields on raiders, but thats just personal choice

Maybe add Torment Grenade Launchers onto the Wyches raiders, makes their hope out and punch assaults even more dangerous for the enemy, as they're more likely to run.

Or just buy more hellions! And maybe the grabby claw upgrady thing....
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

change nightshields for enhanced aethersails. Worth it.

Before I comment, (and I will!) can you post the numbers of each unit - how many models in each unit?

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Igradar View Post
    Before I comment, (and I will!) can you post the numbers of each unit - how many models in each unit?
    LOL sorry, you are right. I'll edit that right now

Okay, first thing's first - let's take a look at those Wyches... I never leave home without FnP - those T3 girls need all the support they can get. So we need to find a way to afford 2 Haemonculi - easy!
    First off, drop those Nightshields. The kinds of weapons they'll be eliminating out of the equation are far too few, and those points can be better spent elsewhere - that gets us those 2 Haemonculi. You'd also need to drop the extra two Wyches

Now, you can drop the Wyches out of the transports and get their pain token, while the Haemonculi stay in their transports. You now have points for 2 Liquifiers - very useful, especially when your Wyches are out of their transports and in the enemy's face. Your opponent will likely forget about the flamers that boast a 1/3 chance of ignoring Marine armor.

I've found that 4x Blasters on Trueborn units are generally overkill - I realise many players advocate even 3 units of 4 blasters, but i've done just fine with 3 blasters vs most armor, on average rolls even. I'd recommend dropping those trueborn units down to 3-strong, and you'll see why...

Given the squishiness of Dark Eldar, I would always insist on having 4 Troops MINIMUM. Simply put, we don't have the staying power that lends itself to keeping scoring units to a minimum, especially considering that two of your scoring units are cc-based. So,for this reason i'd recommend opting for another scoring unit. Wyches really don't need to be more than 7 or 8 in size, they're used as a tarpit really and only tend to do damage with the agoniser. By dropping one in each unit, as well as a single Hellion (your Hellion unit will still be 20-strong with Baron), you'll be able to afford another Venom with dual cannons and a 5-man unit of Warriors with Blaster.

------------------------------------------

Baron Sathonyx

Haemonculus w/ Liquifier
    Haemonculus w/ Liquifier

3 Trueborn, 3 blasters
    3 Trueborn, 3 blasters

5 Warriors, blaster

19 Hellions w/ Agonizer and Helliarch

8 Wyches w/ Hekatrix and Agonizer
    Raider w flickerfield
    8 Wyches w/ Hekatrix and Agonizer
    Raider w flickerfield

Razorwing w/ Splinter cannon, flickerfield

15 lance weapons
    54 poison shots
    4 troops

------------------------------
    Finally, my only other consideration would be to get Haywire Grenades on those Wyches, you'll need 32 points somewhere for that, but trust me, it's worth it. Being able to multi-assault two or more vehicles and catching a foot unit with the agoniser is totally worth it!
    Last edited by Igradar; 06-04-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Okay, first thing's first - let's take a look at those Wyches... I never leave home without FnP - those T3 girls need all the support they can get. So we need to find a way to afford 2 Haemonculi - easy!
    FNP definitely buffs their ability to survive but it comes at the price of losing fleet. Haemonculi are one of the few units in the codex that lack fleet. That may or may not be a problem I just brought it up because its something that's worth considering.

That being said I definitely agree that nightshields should be dropped for the raider's flicker fields are much more worth it. Nightshields are only worth it if your going to be staying at a range from your opponent. I assuming your raiders are going to get up close and personal so I don't think its a worthwhile choice

All things considered I think Igradar presents a good alternative list. I also dig the original list btw all those razorwings are gonna tear it up.

Just thought i'd let you know how I use my Wyches - I keep the Haemonculus inside the raider, then disembark the Wyches.
    That way, the Wyches still have fleet, they have FnP, and I also have a gunboat that can fire a Darklance as well as the Liquifier

Hey man. Nice list, I think you should do just fine. I like the big ol' unit of Hellions... just watch out for lash

Since 3 troops isn't too great for DE (even if one is a big block of hellions), I suggest with your 44 pts remaining, you drop a a blaster trueborn from each unit and 2 hellions to get a 5 man warrior squad with blaster on a venom. One more conservative scoring unit floating around in back should serve you well. DE walk the razors edge with scoring units, one unlucky shot into a raider or one bad round of combat and you may be down on scoring cabability.

Alternatively, you could also afford 2 liquifier haemonculi and trophy racks on a raider for the same points exchange. (dropping a wych from each boat of course)

Good Luck!
    "It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Haha!
    We think alike Son_of_Osiris! Great minds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast