BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Default Death of the black box.

Hey didn't see it posted here.

Apparently GW has decided that they want to get people more "excited" for their upcoming releases.
    In order to do this a number of LGS staff are claiming that they will no longer be a) able to obtain black boxes b) be told what is being released and when before everybody else.

Is it just me or is this another move by GW to destroy LGS stockists and drive people into their own stores? Afterall stockists aren't going to be ordering large volumes if it could be invalidated by the release of a new codex in a week.

I don't know is this is means that GW will be releasing "incoming"
    articles later but some people I've read have mentioned that as well.
    Last edited by daboarder; 06-06-2011 at 04:23 AM.

Not quite true but equally stupid:

GW not be sending Incoming! email until a week before launch as opposed to a month, stores will be getting black boxes but can't open them until release day. Apparently they had a mjor hissy fit about some Tomb King pictures being leaked early and later the Razorwing being leaked by GW staff on their stores facebook page.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

My manager told me about the incoming articles change a few weeks ago.

He pointed out its hard for a store to get people excited for a release, when they're juggling multiple new things.

Take last few months for example. He had to get people excited for the GK, then Tomb Kings, and just after they both got sorted it was DE time! One release at a time is better for the sellers view, as he can focus on one release at a time.

Also youl get more than a weeks notice, WD will carry the release previews earlier than the incomings do
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

I can see the logic in moving the incoming emails back a bit so they don't overlap as much.

Something like: Release weekend, Advance orders the next week, Incoming the week after that.

The black boxes are good and I think should be delivered when the advance orders go up so there is time for them to be assembled so people can see what they're getting. What's the point in having a black box if they can't be opened until release day?

I guess we'll see over the next week or two how they are going to be handling this from now on.

Chapter-Master

I honestly don't get the logic. Yeah I understand the overlap but in a hobby like this one most people only collect a few armies, that means that unless their army is being released they're not really likely to buy stock on impulse. And if they have less time to save up they are less likely to buy stock on release.

Veteran-Sergeant

So what..... Who cares.....

Blaa Blaa Blaa Complain Complain Complain

Post like these sound like they are written by middle age house wives who can no longer watch their favorite day time soap/drama show and there for have to find some other mystery drama to write about.

People just complain and gripe about GW and everything....prices....finecast....no black box...leaked photos....leaked releases.... I hate this hobby.... I hate this company....(sigh) As you look over all the models you already have in your inventory, with all the time you spent putting them together and painting. Then the countless hours you played with them with your friends. And all the good times and memories you have with you. Thats what the hobby is about....and what should be remebered regardless of what GW does.
    Your Codex is only great until the next one is released.....

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by AngelsofDeath View Post

Post like these sound like they are written by middle age house wives who can no longer watch their favorite day time soap/drama show and there for have to find some other mystery drama to write about.

People just complain and gripe about GW and everything....prices....finecast....no black box...leaked photos....leaked releases.... I hate this hobby.... I hate this company....(sigh) As you look over all the models you already have in your inventory, with all the time you spent putting them together and painting. Then the countless hours you played with them with your friends. And all the good times and memories you have with you. Thats what the hobby is about....and what should be remebered regardless of what GW does.
    JESUS CHRIST MATE!!

there is no complaining here only discussion of a rumor concerning marketing policy. pull that pole out and actually read.

Chaplain

There is also the fact that GW have recently been granted the Hobbit License to consider.

They will have had to sign a very specific agreement that nothing relating the movie is leaked, and if it does it would be very bad news for GW.

Security at Nottingham was majorly tightened up when they were granted the LOTR license and they also had a massive rumour clampdown.

I don't blame them for this though, that license will have cost them a fortune and they really won't want to lose it.

In terms of White Dwarf giving you an idea of what's coming out don't expect this to be much help.

All New Releases will now come out on the first Saturday of every month, which is the week after White Dwarf which now comes out on the last Saturday of the month.

Bizarrely White Dwarf subscribers will now no longer get their magazine earlier than everybody else, but will be allowed to browse through the store copy a few days early if they like!

However i must admit that I am in favour of keeping rumours under control, as I rarely get excited about new releases these days as I have already seen them months before on the internet.

I know not everyone else will agree, but I say it's fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelsofDeath View Post

Agreed, but this "hate" is the new FOTM

Actually this is a legitimate concern, a lot of people look forward to Incoming emails and use them to plan out their saving/purchases for the next month or two. Cutting it down to a week means they can't do that. It may mean they spend less on new releases than they otherwise ought. On the other hand they may spend that money in the meantime, that is what GW hopes it seems. But this is a big change in the way GW communicate with their customers so you can't blame people for being grumpy.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast