BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Iron Father

Default Not dropping 40k but...........

Not really interested in a " I hate all things GW thread " which I don't but I was just wondering how many of you guys have or are looking at trying alternative wargaming products and why.

I myself have had a very quiet day at work and with the advent of eBay + smartphone have ordered the rule book for warmachine. I don't really think of it as a replacement because of the price rise etc but maybe an alternative which also looks cheaper. The bad press I admit has made me look at other options and GW may not get the full hobby pocket money the wife let's me have .

So once again are you thinking of or have you jumped ship or just giving something else a try as well ?
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

Absolutely not. Though I am selling a fantasy army simply because I never use it. Then again, I'm always looking for new minis to buy; I don't much care who makes it as long as I like it.

Chapter-Master

Thats the thing I don't understand (not suggesting you're doing it) is people selling huge armies because of a slight price rise

Its along the lines of saying "I don't want to pay another £1 for every model I buy, therefore I'll sell the 10,000 point army i've spent £1,000s on for half of what I've payed for it, rather than keep playing with what i've got and not buying new stuff" Its crazy

Personally I'm dedicated to GW. My armies at least are wonderful models and I don't mind paying for them
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    Thats the thing I don't understand (not suggesting you're doing it) is people selling huge armies because of a slight price rise
    I think the reasoning is they are selling armies they no longer playso they can buy more minis for the armies they do play.

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post

Its along the lines of saying "I don't want to pay another £1 for every model I buy, therefore I'll sell the 10,000 point army i've spent £1,000s on for half of what I've payed for it, rather than keep playing with what i've got and not buying new stuff" Its crazy

Personally I'm dedicated to GW. My armies at least are wonderful models and I don't mind paying for them
    More a question of space in my circumstance . There's only so much room in the display cabinet between the Spode and the Waterford. Also to appear to be politically correct I have to appear to make a sacrifice before splurging out.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Veteran-Sergeant

I jumped ship from GW about a year ago and got into Malifaux (great game btw), and then just recently (January) I got into WarmaHordes. So far this year I've played a total of 6 games of 40k, all tourny games at my local game store and mostly b/c friends wanted me to play.

I much prefer WM/Hordes, the rules are much better than 40k. And I really enjoy the crazy combos and strategy involved.

My (new) LGS has also started stocking Malifaux and a lot of the WM guys have invested in a crew box. So it looks like I'll now have regular friends to play against, so I'm really excited by that as Malifaux is such a fun game and I'm in love with most of their minis. Showgirls for one. Lord Chompy bits and of course, you got undead hookers. Undead Hookers!!!! How awesome!

I've been preaching for the last year that it's time people opened their eyes and take a good look around at different mini games and manufacturers. There's a TON of awesome games out there with great minis too.

I applaud you for taking a look at something new. BTW - PP is running a crazy awesome deal where you can get a faction starter box, and tokens and you'll get the rulebook for free and get free shipping on your order.

Just look for the 10th anniversary sale on Privateer Presses website.
    Visit my blog for painting tips, WIPS and other cool junk - www.paintyominis.com

Chapter-Master

Sell the spode!

@ the Hman - there is a thread on here about things we hate about non-GW companies and people 'preaching' about WM is one of the things. I suppose you have the decency to admit to it, but why the hell are you even lurking here let alone posting, if you have dropped 40K?

And you sound like just as much as an advert for PP as WD is for GW.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Librarian

I'm pretty easy going with wargaming, i'm taking the jump into other products after first being put off by poor "historical" games - which neither get my creative juices flowing, or give you much modelling opportunity (due to historical accuracy)

But the past couple of years i've seen some absolutely amazing products come into the market.

Hasslefree miniatures does fantasticly characterised figures. So thats me sorted for something i can buy in bits and bobs, a tenner here, £15-20 there, as and when i have the money. and i'm working on rulesets for these which will keep me entertained for years to come i'm sure.

Spartan Games is doing a new game which has been making waves around our area. Dystopian Wars. you may not be a fan of the fluff or the models (i love them personally) but the ruleset is a breath of fresh air. and so simply done too.

Black Scorpion miniatures also has a fine range of miniatures, which i'm stacking up money to blow out on, cowboy western stuff, pirates and modern U.S troops and afghan militants. each of these just makes me think "low model count, high detailed rules and a chance to go mad on cool scenery"

I'm not going to drop 40k, its impossible for me to do that. but dabbling in other game systems doesnt have to be expensive and can open up a whole new list of challanges.
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by theHman View Post
    I much prefer WM/Hordes, the rules are much better than 40k. And I really enjoy the crazy combos and strategy involved.
    Saying the 'rules are much better' is completely subjective; they're different. As for the crazy combos: that's one reason I know of that people dislike Warmahordes. In order to be really competetive, you have to know about all the trickery involved in the game.

@TSINI - Concur with Dystopian Wars. Crazy fun game, with really really nice models! Can't wait for my Britannia Land Force.

Quote Originally Posted by TSINI View Post
    Spartan Games is doing a new game which has been making waves around our area. Dystopian Wars. you may not be a fan of the fluff or the models (i love them personally) but the ruleset is a breath of fresh air. and so simply done too.
    I have also just started dystopian wars and really like it so far, totaly different to 40k but still fun to play, with some good rule ideas and detailed mini's, also as a starter fleet dosnt cost much its a nice change of pace with out having to invest too much cash.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast