BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Why don't we ever hate on.....

Since GW is the one that seems to get all the hate, I think it's appropriate to have a modest thread regarding things that irritate you about other gaming companies. So feel free to chime in. I 'll get us started.

....Privater Press?

I very much enjoy Warmahordes (but only casually; the competetive environment around here is a bit much for me to handle for a hobby that is supposed to be relaxing), but I can't get over the fact that PP can't release 5 unique sculpts for a boxed set. Drives me nuts. I play Trollbloods, and, despite how much I want to, I refuse to purchase the Sluggers boxed set because there are only 3 sculpts in the 5 figure set. Really guys? You can't give me two more sculpts so the box is entirely unique? Weak. Sauce.

Adeptus Custodes

I don't know that much about privateer press so it might not be that fair for me to criticise. What are their prices like/ how often do they raise them?

One thing I'm where I will criticise them- its quite hard to get their fluff as an outsider- (or at least for me it is) I played 40k for years before I bought a black library book, and never bought the rule book, yet I always had a very solid knowledge of who was what etc. Without buying anything the most I can get off PP is "Khador are a bit russian" etc. has anyone else had this problem or is there a fluff resource I don't know about tailored towards No0bs?

Quick edit: This is particularly bad as every Warmachine/hordes army is lead by a named character- 1. How do I find out what the characters are like and start an army if its so hard to find out the fluff 2. I like Generic characters who I can give their own personality to, rather than have to rely on a special one. Abaddon the despoiler is not going to turn up to every petty scrap in the galaxy.

(I like the way Malifaux gives a taster of the fluff on the back of its boxes, everyone should do that)
    Last edited by Grailkeeper; 06-06-2011 at 01:42 PM.
    More Necromunda please.

Chapter-Master

I dislike how difficult it can be to source alternatives to GW, does any independent carry a full range of any system?

Although even GW stopped stocking their full range instore....

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Veteran-Sergeant

I dislike the amount of metal in their range, because I hate the stuff. The prices per model are slightly higher than GW but, as the PP fanboys/girls point out:

"YOU NEED LESS MODELS! NOW CAN YOU SEE WHY WARMACHINE IS BETTER? LESS MODELS! LESS MODELS IS BETTER FOR SOME REASON!"

(Sorry, that's not something strictly about Privateer Press itself- they make good models. But when people somehow make the case that needing less models is better, it annoys me. You get far more models for your money with Games Workshop so yes, while you do need less models which does make it a little cheaper, you'll have a far larger range of models which mostly being plastic you can style to your hearts content.)
    Souls. Yum.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Grailkeeper View Post
    I don't know that much about privateer press so it might not be that fair for me to criticise. What are their prices like/ how often do they raise them?

One thing I'm where I will criticise them- its quite hard to get their fluff as an outsider- (or at least for me it is) I played 40k for years before I bought a black library book, and never bought the rule book, yet I always had a very solid knowledge of who was what etc. Without buying anything the most I can get off PP is "Khador are a bit russian" etc. has anyone else had this problem or is there a fluff resource I don't know about tailored towards No0bs?

Quick edit: This is particularly bad as every Warmachine/hordes army is lead by a named character- 1. How do I find out what the characters are like and start an army if its so hard to find out the fluff 2. I like Generic characters who I can give their own personality to, rather than have to rely on a special one. Abaddon the despoiler is not going to turn up to every petty scrap in the galaxy.

(I like the way Malifaux gives a taster of the fluff on the back of its boxes, everyone should do that)
    I'm kind of confused. How can a game with 30 years of convoluted, self contradictory and arbitrary fluff be easier to comprehend than a game that started out as a 3rd edition D&D setting?

You want to know about the nature of the factions in Warmahordes? Head to your FLGS and ask to read the store copy of Prime/Primal (mk2). Each of those core books comes with more fluff for each faction than the entire BBB has for the whole galaxy.

Or you could just cheat, like I usually do. GO GO GADET-KIPEDIA!

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warmachine[/url]
    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HORDES[/url]
    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Kingdoms[/url]

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygnar[/url]
    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khador[/url]
    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protectorate_of_Menoth[/url]
    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryx[/url]

EDIT: I'm right with you on the amount of metal in their ranges. I hates me some metal. Always getting bent and chipped, and wearing out my blades and drill bits...
    Last edited by Luke Licens; 06-06-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Chapter-Master

Just to be clear, I didn't want to single out PP here. This was a tongue-in-cheek effort to point out things that irritate us about any non-GW miniatures company.

To some answers:

Grail: If we're looking at price/model, then they're right on par with GW. Honestly, most companies making a similar quality mini to that of GW/PP are near the same. You're looking at $10-14 on average for a 28mm metal fig.

They're fluff frustrates me for this reason: there isn't enough of it. I'm eagerly waiting for their first novel, but as it presently stands, the only place for you to get fluff is in their rulebooks. I quite enjoyed the short story in the Trollbloods rulebook. I want more of it.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Since GW is the one that seems to get all the hate,
    You always hurt the one you love the most.

I'm a bit annoyed at the points system in Dust Tactics. They use a simple standard system in the starter box that is bobbins and a better system they have called 'tournament' points but none of the cards you get with the figures support the new better system.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Since GW is the one that seems to get all the hate, I think it's appropriate to have a modest thread regarding things that irritate you about other gaming companies. So feel free to chime in. I 'll get us started.

....Privater Press?
    Nice try buddy!!

I´m getting tired that in last weeks almost every news thread is about GW moaning...

I hate that Asmodee and Rackham had to desist their work and killed their games Helldorado and Confrontation/Hybrid/Cadwallon/Rag´Narok, respectively...

From Rackham I´ve seen most of the best models I´ve hardly even seen on a gaming table!!!
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar´s Gauntlets

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Grailkeeper View Post
    I agree with pretty much everyone else involved with miniatures hobbies - it's a damned expensive way to spend our leisure time! But I don't see how we can criticise a company for not giving away their intellectual property as a 'freebie'. Ultimately, these companies have to make money (and usually a lot of it) in order to remain financially viable and continue making the stuff we crave to play our games.

I know A LOT of GW stuff can be obtained, shall we say, 'less than legally' on the internet. But I don't go that way myself. Not through any 'holier than thou' misguided nonsense, but because if I don't think something is worth the money, I simply don't buy it. If it is, I do.

I know everyone has their own ideals and their own limited supply of gold coins, but surely we can't criticise folk for taking their due?

Just my 2p worth, though...

Adeptus Custodes

I get my stuff legally, but I'm not going to join a game if I don't like the fluff. Particularly warmachine where the fluff seems more integral- as you have to use a special character for your general. I think they should make enough to give you a basic grounding in who is who and what each faction is like.

I' not suggesting that they give everything away for free. For example GW 40k should say that the reason we have chaos marines is there was a rebeliion in 30k where some of the space marines turned against the Emperor. People who want to know more can pay to find out about the exact battles, the roles of the custodes, malcador etc
    More Necromunda please.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast