BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Default GW Models are NOT that expensive!

That's right I said it.

Now I know everybody is going to completely bombard this thread.

However I was browsing some other models like you see in a craft store like to make car planes ships and even some exotic sci-fi space ships and also some star wars hobby models and the prices were not much cheaper. and the quality of plastic usually sucks a big rhino butt

now given the quality of detail and material that GW produces in my opinion the are not too much more expensive maybe like $10-$15 more in comparative size. A battle ship the size of a baneblade or stoompa was $80 and a f-15 jet fighter was actually $50 compared to the $41.50 of the new Razorwing

With that said I do believe that the most of the metal models are out of hand. Just to take orks for example $37.50 for 5 Kommandos models or $20 dollars for one meganob is completly ridiculous. so to field 5 meganobs is $100 plus tax makes me want to puke.

so before everybody rants about the prices compare the quality and enjoyment you get from your hobby as opposed to watching your models sit on a shelf and collect dust.

Ok tear me apart lol

Chaplain

You know, it might seem odd but I completley agree!
    My Dad got a replica of a Japanese warchip for christmas. £50 and it sits in his study.
    Looks like you're not getting ripped apart alone I guess
    Master Bryss and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    Hi, I'm Titans newest recruit. PREPARE TO BE PURGED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Brother Hellstrom View Post

With that said I do believe that the most of the metal models are out of hand. Just to take orks for example $37.50 for 5 Kommandos models or $20 dollars for one meganob is completly ridiculous. so to field 5 meganobs is $100 plus tax makes me want to puke.
    Eldargal keeps mentioning how Games Workshop metal prices are low for Wargaming metal products, and other such games where supprised at how low the cost was. Refer to her for where she got the info btw :P. Not that I dont agree btw, just sort of saying that it isnt all GW's fault for that. I agree with your thread + I am not a rich kid with tonnes of desposable money... I just save and buy in small quantaties
    [I][I] =][= "Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse” =][=

Adeptus Custodes

Well they're certainly not shy about raising them, It'd be interesting to compare the price of models that haven't changed in ten years, and compare their prices then and now, if anyone has access to that information?
    More Necromunda please.

Librarian

It is not that they are expensive, i remember when a squad of wolf guard terminators cost you 8 a blister and it was one model a blister, yes you get slightly more in some box's terminators are now cheaper since they moved to plastic. Its the annual price rises that annoy people.

I remember when a box of LOTR plastics was £12 for 24 models its now £17. £5 in 3 years is above inflation.

The price is relative. Take the amount you paid for the hobby, and divide it by the number of hours you have enjoyed assembling, painting, and playing with your plastic/metal army men. If this final number is reasonable to you, you spent your money wisely. If it is not, sell your plastic/metal army men, and find another hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonus View Post
    The price is relative. Take the amount you paid for the hobby, and divide it by the number of hours you have enjoyed assembling, painting, and playing with your plastic/metal army men. If this final number is reasonable to you, you spent your money wisely. If it is not, sell your plastic/metal army men, and find another hobby.
    Here Here
    [I][I] =][= "Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse” =][=

Chapter-Master

I can empathise with the australians to a degree.

But in terms of prices I am not bothered, it is a premium product as GW state. Seeing as I already ebay the majority.

In one of the outrage thread someone put a link to a blog that showed inflation back to 2000-ish, and then compared 10 GW products and how their prices had gone. Whilst some were above inflation some where actually below!

So this makes sense to me although I can't be arsed to search for it to prove it
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master

Yeah, GW models are expensive because you REQUIRE more of them to play.

My Hordes army has 21 models costing me about $200 for a standard army.

My Dark Eldar army has 75 models, costing me about $620 bucks for a 1500 standard army.

My Infinity Army cost me $100 bucks for 15 models for a large scale game.

Model to model, yeah, GW isn't ALL that much more expensive, but keep it all in context that yes, you require more models to play.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    Yeah, GW models are expensive because you REQUIRE more of them to play.

My Hordes army has 21 models costing me about $200 for a standard army.

My Dark Eldar army has 75 models, costing me about $620 bucks for a 1500 standard army.

My Infinity Army cost me $100 bucks for 15 models for a large scale game.

Model to model, yeah, GW isn't ALL that much more expensive, but keep it all in context that yes, you require more models to play.
    This is very true. Kill Team is very fun :-D.

What Hordes faction you run?

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast