BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Adeptus Titanicus

So I was chatting with a co-worker about this game today, and damned if I don't wish they'd revisit it. I've had the hankering for some Mech-on-Mech combat that has me looking into Heavy Gear Blitz, and realized how much better this would sate my appetite. That's not to say Heavy Gear looks bad (it looks really fun and I'll probably still pick it up) but I know and enjoy the 40k IP.

Anyone play Adepticus Titanicus recently? Would anyone else play it were they to rerelease it?

Librarian

2nd Ed Titanicus with the Imperator was an insanely fun game. I had a proper Legion of 12 1st ed Warlord Titans, and it was superb fun.

*Sigh*

I sold it all for £30.

What a fool I was.

If they re-released it, I'd buy five copies. I've never understood why anyone would buy a 40K scale Titan when Epic was so incredibly fun, and when a proper Epic army looks amazing. I once played a 10,000 point battle which had seventy stand of IG in meleee with fifty stands of Eldar Guardians. It felt so very impressive.

I recently picked up the 1st Ed Adeptucs Titanicus rules on Ebay and plato play in the local store. I have a half dozen if the original plastic titans plus a bunch of Eldar Phantoms.

The problems with GW bringing back Epic are cost and abstraction. The original rules were meant for a handful of Titans per side and were very detailed but playable at that size. Epic Space marine kept the detail but addedd a lot more models making games 3+ hours long. Epic 2nd ed. and later streamlined the mechanics but that reduced titans to just another model with little variation in effect. Cost is another factor because they could not print a game with SIX Warlord Titans for only $100 given the current model is about $40 for one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Anyone play Adepticus Titanicus recently? Would anyone else play it were they to rerelease it?
    If it were like the 1st or even 2nd editions (Adeptus Titanicus and Titan Legions respectively) yes, and I would likely buy multiple sets. If it were like the abomination of craptacularness that is Adeptus Titanicus II, then no (ok it's not that bad, but it wasn't very well written).

Quote Originally Posted by MaltonNecromancer View Post
    If they re-released it, I'd buy five copies. I've never understood why anyone would buy a 40K scale Titan when Epic was so incredibly fun, and when a proper Epic army looks amazing.
    Having the AT 6 Warlord box as one of the first 40k products I've ever bought, and owning several FW Titans, I can say that while a legion of Epic armies is great - the same army in 40k scale is better!

Librarian

The original rules were meant for a handful of Titans per side and were very detailed but playable at that size.... Epic 2nd ed. and later streamlined the mechanics but that reduced titans to just another model with little variation in effect.
    Given that people seem to like using a handful of Titans in 40K now, sure Epic is the place where a full on Titan-vs-Titan ruleset could flourish. Imagine a new box with Six Warlords, Twelve Reavers, and Twenty Four Warhounds - Halved so you had one Imperial faction vs a Chaos faction. That would be truly Epic...

You know, a game that you literally couldn't duplicate in 40K scale.

Battle-Brother

oh yeah now were talking! I love this game, my plastic warlords are some of my favorite minis, but by far i love my epic knights!!! I even have proxy minis of them ,like heavy gear models and other various companies.

Imagine a new box with Six Warlords, Twelve Reavers, and Twenty Four Warhounds - Halved so you had one Imperial faction vs a Chaos faction. That would be truly Epic...
    Those numbers are probably a bit wishful simply because it would wipe out any sales of current Titan models and would royally piss off Ork and Eldar players because they would still be paying high prices.

It would be more realistic to see 1-2 warlord, 1-2 Reavers and 2-3 Warhounds per side. It wouldn't surprise me if the Chaos models were distinctly modeled so players needed multiple sets to build large Imperial forces.

Knights would be a nice addition as well. I have a dozen or so Eldar Knights that have felt neglected for many years.

As long as the models would remain similar in style to the original models, just updated rather than redesigned, I would be totally up for that. I dearly love the original warlords, reavers and warhounds, and chaos versions of these in the style of forge world would be super sweet.

Librarian

Those numbers are probably a bit wishful
    So was the amount of models in "Assault on Black Reach"...

it would wipe out any sales of current Titan models
    People still buy those? I imagine Necron Pariahs sell better.

and would royally piss off Ork and Eldar players
    And? If we don't do the Chaos sets, those players will moan. This is a GW hobby. People always moan. Always. About everything. My favourite this year was one person complaining that GK's were going to be dull because they'd just be "another version of marines" then complaining that GKs were "completely different to regular marines!". I kid you not, the sense of entitlement GW fans have is second to none. Except, perhaps, computer game fans.

It would be more realistic to see 1-2 warlord, 1-2 Reavers and 2-3 Warhounds per side
    But less awesome. So nowhere near as good.

Also, consider "Space Hulk" 21 completeley individual character Terminators. My numbers are definitely aiming for the stars, but considering Titanicus 1st ed actually did come with six Warlords, I don't think I'm being that unrealistic... Well, about the Warhounds, maybe.
    Last edited by MaltonNecromancer; 06-09-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Chapter-Master

So was the amount of models in "Assault on Black Reach"...

People still buy those? I imagine Necron Pariahs sell better.

And? If we don't do the Chaos sets, those players will moan. This is a GW hobby. People always moan. Always. About everything. My favourite this year was one person complaining that GK's were going to be dull because they'd just be "another version of marines" then complaining that GKs were "completely different to regular marines!". I kid you not, the sense of entitlement GW fans have is second to none. Except, perhaps, computer game fans.

But less awesome. So nowhere near as good.

Also, consider "Space Hulk" 21 completeley individual character Terminators. My numbers are definitely aiming for the stars, but considering Titanicus 1st ed actually did come with six Warlords, I don't think I'm being that unrealistic... Well, about the Warhounds, maybe.
    Would anyone be opposed to a Marriage in the middle of that with some Knight Titans included? Man, I'd give a nut for some 40k scale Knight Titans....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast