BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Default New Dan Abnett Horus Heresy novel "Know No Fear" (the Battle of Calth)

Here is the cover artwork for the upcoming Dan Abnett Horus Heresy novel "Know No Fear" (the Battle of Calth)

Aparrently the marine missing his helmet in hard vacuum is none other than Roboute Guilliman.

in the grim darkness of the far future, oxygen is optional!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	282483_10150320875126807_626136806_9454152_523188_n.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	1237  
    Last edited by Morgan Darkstar; 07-15-2011 at 06:50 PM.
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

Hey, maybe it'll be about some random human that no one gives a **** about for 95% of the book with the last three chapters barely mentioning the Battle for Calth. That'd be awesome and completely respectful to Ultramarine fans.

Veteran-Sergeant
    That would make it too easy for the Imperial Assassins

Why am I not surprised that Roboute is Batman and can breathe in space? Pretty picture though.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Darkstar View Post
    Here is the cover artwork for the upcoming Dan Abnett Horus Heresy novel "Know No Fear" (the Battle of Calth)

Aparrently the marine missing his helmet in hard vacuum is none other than Roboute Guilliman.

in the grim darkness of the far future, oxygen is optional!
    I was trying to find an excuse for why he'd be unaffected by the vacuum but I got nothing on this one. Maybe the Geller field protects them?

Quote Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
    Why am I not surprised that Roboute is Batman and can breathe in space? Pretty picture though.
    Breathing isn't an issue, really, since they could just hold their breath as if they were underwater. The problem with being unprotected by the vacuum of space is it's literally −454° (Fahrenheit) and anything that's oxygen-based would explode.
    "What scares us is I think we needed violence."
    http://reddragons40k.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike X View Post
    I was trying to find an excuse for why he'd be unaffected by the vacuum but I got nothing on this one. Maybe the Geller field protects them?

Breathing isn't an issue, really, since they could just hold their breath as if they were underwater. The problem with being unprotected by the vacuum of space is it's literally −454° (Fahrenheit) and anything that's oxygen-based would explode.
    Trying to hold a deep breath in vacuum will result in your lungs exploding because of the extreme pressure difference.

Unless the shields of the ship can create an air bubble close to the hull, that picture has just gone way too far and is just plain silly.

Veteran-Sergeant
    That would make it too easy for the Imperial Assassins

It's not that bad. It technically is that cold, but there's like one atom to occupy several square feet in space, so there's nothing to actually conduct heat against. The only way heat really escapes is by thermal radiation, which things with heat always bleed off (Example: The Command Module on Apollo 13 was shut down completely for days while still in space, and had grown cold enough for liquid to condense on surfaces. Condense, not freeze, it wasn't -that- cold yet). Once in a vacuum the only real concern is air, which there is none of, and a normal human being would lose consciousness after roughly ten seconds as the blood rapidly deoxygenates and fails to get enough oxygen to the brain. NASA ran some experiments on this with monkeys and determined that a human being can survive this state for roughly 90 seconds before brain death occurs. The interesting bit is that they also determined that if you don't cross the brain death threshold there is no apparent permanent damage and as long as oxygen supply is restored a human being (and indeed the monkeys) were perfectly fine again within a few minutes. A bigger danger I've heard is being exposed to direct sunlight without an atmosphere or even a magnetic field to protect the body from being cooked, especially with no air to relieve heat. I really don't know what that would do, but I figure it would probably kill you later with skin cancer.

The explodey bit is just from explosive decompression, which can potentially cause harm if it happens very suddenly. I mean just look at the Lunar Module from the Apollo program, the space ships would be a bit tougher if they were prone to exploding. That said I'm not sure you'd be able to hold you breath in a vacuum, the seal may not be strong enough to stay sealed in a vacuum. Certainly that air will be wanting to go out of the lungs, but I doubt regular humans could hold their breath. I doubt it would explode your lungs, but it might cause some damage, probably just blow out through the nose and lips though.

Anyway, sorry about this, had to do it. :/ Either way, that man is a Primarch Space Marine, which by definition is Way Over The Top, so as far as 40k is concerned... this is plausible.
    Last edited by Lancel; 07-15-2011 at 09:42 PM.

a space marine can easily do it.
    the only straining fact is to either keep their lungs resisting one atmosphere pressure differential or haveing enough oxygene stored in the bloodstream itself (so lungs can be empthied).

Abbess Sanctorum

That image is extremely busy, and not in a good way...
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by plawolf View Post
    Trying to hold a deep breath in vacuum will result in your lungs exploding because of the extreme pressure difference.

Unless the shields of the ship can create an air bubble close to the hull, that picture has just gone way too far and is just plain silly.
    What I meant by the "holding their breath" suggestion was if the lack of oxygen in space were the only hazard a biological creature would face.
    "What scares us is I think we needed violence."
    http://reddragons40k.blogspot.com/

When I loaded that image I only have one thing to say about it.

It's 3:41 right now, and I'm way to tired to even comprehend what I'm looking at.
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast