BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

I hope this time they have it wrong.
    Its sound like things that were good in prev codex are good(dominion/seraphim/retriubutor) and rest still lack edge to do somthing

Wait for more....
    ....shhh, it's okay, it's just me.... I`m Beast at the back of your head.

Veteran-Sergeant
    That would make it too easy for the Imperial Assassins

Okay, I bothered making this, so I'm going to bother posting this:

Codex: Sisters of Battle Rumor Compendium

THE CODEX
    It's going to be a White Dwarf codex, released in two parts in the August and September 2011 issues. This is CONFIRMED by the July 2011 WD issue, which has a teaser on the back declaring it to be so. This is part of a new push by GW to make White Dwarf more relevant (aka, back to the way it was).

Codex: Sisters of Battle, Part 1 (August 2011) features fluff and "beastiary".
    Codex: Sisters of Battle, Part 2 (September 2011) is hard rules.

The entire Codex will be released as a free PDF compilation a few months after this, rumored to be out by November.

Speculation suggests this is a stop-gap codex produced for several reasons:
    1. Killing the Allies rules once and for all (Codex: Witchhunters, which this codex will supercede, is the last valid codex to have it)
    2. iSynching up rules for various units, mostly by means of ripping out the Inquisition (Inquistors and Assassins had two sets of rules thanks to Codex: Grey Knights)
    3. To say with a straight face that there are no longer any 3rd Edition Codexes, and as part of meeting a promise to update everything to 5th Edition before 6th made a few years ago (notably, 6th is rumored to be due in Summer 2012, only one year out)

A full print codex is entirely speculation at this point, but it's reasonable to say that even if it's in the works it won't be out until 6th Edition, and it may take a back seat to the more popular armies depending on how the rest of the 5th Edition codexes go (Codex: Space Marine is always the first in a new edition anyway). Suggested timeframe is between August 2013 and November 2014.

THE MODELS
    Presently models have only very loose rumors on them. Rumors for the past six months have said that new Sisters models have been on the way for some time, and apparently Jes Goodwyn himself has confirmed that they were being worked on. What is unknown is when they will be released, as with a WD codex we cannot be certain that anything will be released with it.

Models are said by at least two sources to exist. The question is less that they exist and more if they are DONE and WHEN they will be released.

Rumored Plastic Kits:
    Battle Sisters (5-Sister packs that can build pretty much every Sister, including Seraphim, Sister Superiors, and all special weapons)
    Penitent Engine
    Sisters Repentia (rumored 10-sister packs because well... not many options there)
    Priest

Note, the source of the above (sexy camera) is in conflict with Blood of Kittens, as the Repressor was reported to be making an appearance in plastic, but BoK has specifically stated there is no Repressor in the Sisters' codex. BoK's track record has been strong so far, as they correctly reported that the Sisters would be getting a White Dwarf Codex this summer.

Stickmonkey only reported on the existence of a mock up Sister model in early January. This could have been very early development, which could mean they are still very far off.

Dominant speculation is that there will be no plastic release. At best a Finecast re-release of existing models.

THE RULES
    These are relatively well known due to Blood of Kittens rumors. Though they had a good idea on the rules, they have nothing on models. Note: I'm not sure the BoK guy knows Sisters too well based on some of the things stated, so I'll be throwing in my own interpretations.

Big points:
    Allies gone.
    Inquisition gone.
    Assassins gone except Death Cult.
    Cheaper unit costs (how much cheaper is not presently known)
    All Faithful units gain a 6++
    Faith Powers completely revised
    Arbites and Repressor are NOT in it (according to BoK p2)

Acts of Faith are not completely known, but the bits of the rules that are known is that each unit will receive its own special faith power that they can use. Each faithful unit will generate d6 faith points a turn, but these do not carry over to the next turn, the pool is rerolled each turn (presumably at the start of the Sisters player's turn). Activation mechanics are not clearly enumerated, but it is known to be somehow based on a "5+ to activate". Only the faithful can use an act of faith.

Wargear with the same names as Grey Knight wargear remains and uses the Grey Knight rules. Psybolt Ammo is specifically stated.

HQ

Canoness: No specifics known, other than she "starts cheap, but has expensive options". To me this says she hasn't changed at all, other than now being displayed in 5th Edition style. Still gets a retinue (apparently it's useless?).

Confessor: New, cheap, creates a henchman band as found in the Grey Knights codex. Confessor and Confessor's squad can re-roll hits and wounds. Did not specify if this was in close combat or just in general.

St. Celestine: Still in, though Karamazov is not. Stat wise she's had a significant upgrade. Still 2+/4++, but now WS/BS 7, still Jump Pack, gains Fleet, and the Ardent Blade now instead always wounds on a 4+ (Spec: This may also be a sign of a new rule for Blessed Weapons, since the Ardent Blade counted as a Blessed Weapon in the previous codex). Comes back like Thawn in the Grey Knight Codex (Never actually dies, comes back at the same spot on a 4+ roll, made every turn until successful, comes back with one wound).

Priests: Said to be pretty much unchanged.

5 HQ choices total, meaning there are two unknown (unless Priests is one of them, which is possible), but told to expect new Special Characters.

Elite

Celestian Squad: Few changes noted. Unknown if they still get Holy Hatred. Known to have A2 now, and a faith power that lets them reroll hits in close combat or ranged. Still cheaper than a Marine.

Death Cult Assassins: Probably same as Grey Knights codex.

Sisters Repentia?: Rumored to no longer be an Elite choice. Cost is said to be around Space Marine cost. USRs include Rage, Fearless, Feel No Pain, and Fleet. Repentia Sisters are Faithful and therefore receive a 6++. Still cannot take a transport. Faith power: (spec: ONLY IN DEATH...) Lets them swing their Eviscerators in a close combat even if they have been killed by a higher initiative unit (thus, even if half the squad is wiped out, if they've used this power, that dead half still gets to make their Eviscerator swing).

Fast Attack

Seraphim Squad: Pistols now Assault 2 instead of Assault 1 Twin-linked. Supposedly cheaper than a Space Marine. USR version of Hit and Run retained. Inferno Pistols (also Assault 2), Hand Flamers still in. Faith Power: Reroll To-Wound.

Dominion Squad: Rebalanced point cost assumed (so no more overpriced Flamers/Meltaguns), still can carry four special weapons. Scouts. Faith Power: Makes their weapons twin-linked.

Transports

Rhino point costs and options reflect Codex: Space Marines.

Heavy Support

Exorcists: Unchanged except for a rumored range increase.

Immolator: No news except speculation that the capacity has been increased based on the suggestion that the standard Battle Sister squad can take it as a transport, despite still being minimum 10.

Retributor Squad: "Pretty fantastic. CHEAP! Talking under Long Fang cheap to fully kit out." They sound pretty much unchanged, maybe cheaper guns. Act of Faith: Rending (seems a bit contradictory to the earlier rumor that faith powers won't give USRs), basically they can still use Divine Guidance.

Penitent Engine: "Again fantastic. Same statline (Walker)." Again, sounds like they'll still be popped like crazy every opponent shooting phase. Only changes appear to be that they're now cheaper, wounds inflicted generate additional attacks somehow, and they have a 6++.

Troops

Battle Sisters: Largely unchanged, still 10-20 squad size, Heavy Flamer available, multiple acts of faith available (though no rumor on what they do). Presence of Acts of Faith implies the unit is Faithful and therefore gets a 6++ like, apparently, every other Sister.

Frateris Militia?: We have no idea if they even will exist, but they are commonly suggested as a means of giving the Sisters another unit choice, since Inquisition is gone now. Included here because I'm sure someone must be asking.

SOURCES

Stickmonkey: [url]http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2011/01/40k-rumors-2011-schedule-sororitas.html[/url]
    sexy camera: (only one I could find) [url]http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=204006.msg2595223#msg2595223[/url]
    Blood of Kittens p1: [url]http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2011/06/12/network-news-sisters-of-battle-rumors-sunday-edition/[/url]
    Blood of Kittens p2: [url]http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2011/06/15/network-news-sisters-of-battle-rumor-round-2/[/url]
    White Dwarf Codex Confirmation: [url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=15771[/url]

My thoughts:

Blood of Kittens has had it right so far, and reading sexy camera's rumor... I'm unfortunately inclined to discard it. BoK report no Repressor, SC reports a Repressor in plastic. BoK has a track record, SC doesn't. The absolute best scenario I can come up with that means SC is also right is that the models are coming but will not be coming any time soon, and will instead come with a hypothetical full print codex in 6th Edition. It is not uncommon for things to sit in house at GW for quite a while, even years. Still, Jes has strongly implied plastic Sisters are coming if sources are accurate. I'm guessing what Stickmonkey saw was an early prototype.

I am honestly at a loss for the models for what to say one way or another. All I can say is that while we have evidence they exist, there is no evidence to suggest they will be released with this White Dwarf codex, but nor do we have any evidence to contradict aside from previous WD releases not getting any either. At present, we can only assume that the Sisters model lineup will not be changed.
    Last edited by Lancel; 06-16-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
    [*]To say with a straight face that there are no longer any 3rd Edition Codexes...
    *cough*Necrons*cough*

Seriously though, thanks for the compilation.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Kawauso View Post
    *cough*Necrons*cough*

Seriously though, thanks for the compilation.
    Oh, they're coming too, we already knew that. Sisters was kinda the last iffy one. Still a bit surprised Sisters leapfrogged the Necrons. I remember some random guy said Sisters would be first and no one believed it, haha.

Brother-Captain

Well what with the actual -rules- for Sisters apparently coming in September, they could very well be around the same time.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Kawauso View Post
    Well what with the actual -rules- for Sisters apparently coming in August, they could very well be at the same time.
    A possibility I have not entirely discounted, though many have. If there are no Sisters models then there is truly no release. White Dwarf gets released monthly anyway, and with no separate printed Codex nor any models there is literally nothing to fill a release slot with. The Necrons could still come out in August. Begs a further question, if there is to be no Sisters release, then what's coming out in November?

My personal call is that Necrons still come in August or September (kinda thinking September to give some room for Storm of Magic and because I expect there would be a White Dwarf teaser in there) and Sisters get a first wave in November when the PDF is released. Sisters first wave will probably be a relatively small release (Finecasts of the Confessor and the new special characters at least, and at this point I'd consider us very lucky if we see plastic Sisters).

Chaplain

Don't count on Necrons getting a codex now, just a WD release like SoB....yep thats right the shafted codex. Now i am always for new miniatures, but so far there are no rumours of new units, special characters or new heavy support to deal with AV14. So if looks like at this time, that all they are doing is bringing out a glossy FAQ, pimped it up, and bring out current miniatures in plastic and Finecast.

Sad of GW at the moment to NOT bring out the last of the two codex's after going all over board with BA, DE, GK's and then to leave out again full codex's for SoB and Necrons. Thats not caring for your fans, or marketing, that's just a sad attempt to cover up.

I'm not holding my breath over new Faith rules, or this WD codex, i'm against it actually. They could just bring our back to back codex's before 6th ed.
    "Heretics crave the cleansing fire of absolution. They need not fear, for we shall deliver"

Brother-Captain

Necrons are more popular than Sisters.

Hell, any army is more popular than Sisters.

I don't have anything against them - I think they're cool, but the fact is that the number of Sisters players out there is really low. I don't see their getting a WD-dex as indicative of anything for other armies.

Veteran-Sergeant

I share a lot of SRS's concerns. It begs the question of where the line is drawn. What beckons a WD codex and what beckons a full codex? Could we say Dark Eldar were popular enough to warrant what they got or was it just the luck of the draw and GW threw their money at DE, then when Sisters came up someone said "Hey! Let's throw them into White Dwarf as part of our new initiative to make it better!"?

We've had some pretty strong rumors lately suggesting what's coming in terms of Necron models, but the strongest Sister model rumor is virtually shot down for me, leaving really only one mock up in January. I'm not joking when I say there may not be a release at all.

So yeah, I guess where do we draw the line? I'm guessing it can only be based on popularity, but with Daemonhunters/Grey Knights and Dark Eldar getting the full course, I just can't see the Necrons not getting it too. Black Templar, Dark Angels, and Chaos Daemons are more likely candidates. There are still full codexes that need to be released every so often, but I will suggest, with uncertainty and a lack of conviction, the irony of what a White Dwarf is in 40k.

I suppose the last line there though means we can't draw the line with the Sisters. Necrons will be more telling. Either way, it's not looking pretty for the Sisters so far. I'll feel better if there are going to be new models.

Brother-Captain

I'm not saying a line -should- be drawn - believe me, I think it's BS Sisters are getting the WD treatment.

I don't think -any- army should be in White Dwarf. Sub-armies like Kroot Mercs, or a Mini-Codex Imperial Fists to use with C:SM, sure. Those sound like they'd be great. But I don't think any army should get its book replaced by a couple WD issues and a PDF. I remember what happened to Blood Angels...

What I am saying though is that I think I can see the relative niche market for Sisters being seen by GW as a reason to give them a WD-dex, perhaps.

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast