BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Heck, I want some Sisters model love. I don't even care about a new codex as I think they play fine. But sure, I will take a new codex too! And who cares if it is only a WD codex?

I have always loved my Sisters army, and the only issue I ever had was that it was all metal!

Alec

The Apocalypse Blog
    [URL="http://apocalypse40k.blogspot.com/"]
    http://apocalypse40k.blogspot.com/[/URL]

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    This may be a silly question but ....

Can you even play a WD only army in tournament?
    Okay, going by major tournaments and events over the past decade, and the general track record of WD lists being allowed in events, the answer is a solid no. In general.

Now, there is a difference here... Sisters aren't just a throw away make money off of you for the month army list like Kroot Mercs or Zombie Pirates. Like Blood Angels, Sisters are an established army getting a WD treatment, which will probably be a placeholder until Sisters get a real codex in 5 years. You can probably bet that Sisters will be allowed to be played in tourneys and events jsut fine. They'll eventually get a .PDF army list once the WD stop selling, just like Blood Angels did, and everything will be "official" which is what most modern GW hobbyists want.

So no, you cannot play WD only armies/units in tournaments, unless those armies were Blood Angels or are Sisters of Battle.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chapter-Master

GW GT Throne of Skulls allowed (in fact made compulsory) the pdf DH codex. From what I remember 2 years ago before BA codex the WD bit was fine.

Thats at Warhammer World so some tourney.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

When I first heard about this, I was very depressed. It really doesn't promise to do the Sisters justice. I AM excited that the models sound as if they are brilliant, but I am skeptical that two editions of WD can do a codex justice, and I feel disappointed and a bit let down. I have learnt that I need to wait and see with GW these days though. But obviously they aren't going to get the Dark Eldar style reimagining I was hoping for. Perhaps I'm being unrealistic. It is depressing to think that it'll be another five years until they are treated seriously though. Well, I'm kind of glad that I got Grey Knights instead of holding out for SOB, especially if they give them the Finecast old mold treatment - yeesh...

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    A codex is 96 pages in general, a WD is about the same. They could easily put a proper sized codex in WD over two issues. Whether they will or not remain to be seen.

I'd wager that they will have rules separated for individual units, and skip most of the fluff for the army, leaving maybe a paragraph per unit.

tho i have to wonder why put the codex in WD? they could make money just the same with codex, so why put it in a magazine? I know if i play someone and ask to see their codex, and they hand me 2 WD magazines, it will piss me off, having to find which magazine has what unit, and any army wide rules might be in the other magazine...

I think this is great! Finally, some meaty context in White Dwarf. Great stuff.
    http://miteyheroes.blogspot.com/ - My 40k Blog: Adeptus Mechanicus, Imperial Guard Grots, Conversions, Battle Reports and more.

Still, you have to say there's a little less to grumble at GW for, especially regarding being expensive - they're saving people £11 for a new codex by printing it in WD. I sincerely hope they include a few characters for SOB though - Celestine is all well and good, but SOB fans could do with a few other decent female characters. My biggest worry is that they reproduce a bunch of old models in Finecast - SOB fans at least deserve more than just a multi-tasking plastic kit. I will certainly be asking my newsagent to save the next few issues for me I reckon, to be doubly sure of getting my copies.

Iron Father

Do you guys think the codex will come as a supplement so it can be removed from the WD, or will it be printed physically in the magazine ?
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by dakkadakka12 View Post
    I'd wager that they will have rules separated for individual units, and skip most of the fluff for the army, leaving maybe a paragraph per unit.

tho i have to wonder why put the codex in WD? they could make money just the same with codex, so why put it in a magazine? I know if i play someone and ask to see their codex, and they hand me 2 WD magazines, it will piss me off, having to find which magazine has what unit, and any army wide rules might be in the other magazine...
    Strange as it may sound considering they are giving away a codex, to make money. The rules are clearly there and ready, so why not simply release a codex? Answer - to get new Sisters players. People already have the WD and think - well I don't have to shell out for a codex and I like the rules I've read, why not pick up a few models? Exisitng sisters players will but new models anyway, so they won't lose out there (other than really annoying them). Either this is a stop-gap codex or they don't have the confidence in the sisters range to sell and bring in new players the way DE did. I tend to think it is the former, which in itself worries me that we are going to see other rushed codex to try to get them all updated before 6th ed. I guess we'll have to wait and see exactly what is released in a couple of months.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Curtesy of BoK via warseer

Ok, with that said let us get on with why you are really here some SoB rumors.

As always let us start with the easy ones that pretty much everyone figured was going to happen.

Allies gone
    Inquisition gone
    Faith streamlined
    USRs updated to 5th
    Cheaper Unit costs
    Inquisition elements gone

So let start with the big one and perhaps most controversial change to Sisters of Battle: Faith

I am amazed reading around the Net how quite few people had great guesses on how the new faith works. One caveat about the faith rules: I only have most of the story so let us hope someone else can pluck the rest from the aether. The only thing that really stays the same is only faith producing units can use faith. Gone is the over and under rules based on model count and gone is faith powers that everyone can use. It is replaced with every unit has its own unit specific act of faith to call upon.

So for instance Repentia Act of Faith allows them to always land an attack even if they are killed before they can swing. They are little bonuses like re-rolling to wound and hit, no USRs. Now this if fine and dandy if you just pop a faith point and bam! power goes off, but not so fast. Acts of Faith require that you roll 5+ to activate . This makes faith much more unreliable… maybe. In addition every unit that can get faith generates 1d6 faith points per turn. This also means that a new faith pool is generated each turn with no storing of past faith. As well faith can be activated in multiple phases of the game, so for instance you can re-roll to hit in your shooting phase or in your assault phase. What is not clear is a few things. Like how many dice can you throw at a single act of faith? How many times can you attempt to activated a power? If you get an act of faith to go off in one phase does it carry over to the next phase? If you fail an act of faith does that mean you cannot try again in another phase? I don’t have the answers, but what do you think?

Random tidbits

All Faith generating units get +6 invul save
    All units that can get transports get Immolators or Rhinos
    Assassins gone (Death Cult still in)
    Wargear with the same names as GK wargear stay and get changed over. (e.g. Psybolt Ammo)
    Karamazov gone
    Priests in, pretty much same as before.
    No change to the general Bolter, Melta, Flame concept of the Sisters

Specifics

Sisters have about 5 HQ choices including Special Characters

St. Celestine: Same price as a Grand Master you get 2+/+4 saves, WS/BS 7 Jump Pack, Fleet, Power Weapons always wounds on 4+ Has the power to come back like GK Thawn if killed.

Confessor: Takes the slot of the old Inquisitors. Cheap HQ (Warboss). Can create a henchman band using most of the henchman found in the GK codex. What makes the Confessor extra deadly is the ability for it to re-roll hits and wounds for her and the squad. This is the translation of the rumor matrix. So think for one second about her and the Death Cult together?

Repentia: Cheaper close to SM cost. FNP, Rage, Fearless, 6+ invul, no transports

Battle Sister Squad: Cheaper 10-20 unit size (no combat squads), but has access to Immolators which begs the question… Immolators either get increased transport capacity or Sisters break the rules concerning model count and buying transports. Multiple acts of faith.

Exocists: Pretty much same as before.

This is it for now gents and dames. If you have any questions let me know I can see if can get them answered sometime this week with another post

EDIT: on a personal note, I think we're seeing GW try something different here, all rumors point to SOB getting a codex before tau with confusion in regards to its placement compared to necrons, I think its possible GW is allowing us to do what we've always cried about....playtest the rules ourselves for 3-4 months before they got to print. I just hope they throw in atleast the basic sisters unit with this release or I'll still be waiting for plastics.
    Last edited by daboarder; 06-12-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast