BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1850 Iyanden Ghost Army List

Hi I'm a new Eldar player, doing the "try before you buy" thing since . . . well, gonna try before I buy.

HQ: Yriel
    HQ: Farseer w/Runes of Warding, Fortune, Guide; 5 Warlocks including Spiritseer, Embolden, Enhance; Wave Serpent with TL Shurikannon, Shurikannon, Spirit Stones, Star Engines

Troops: 10 Wraithguards, Spiritseer with Conceal
    Troops: 3 Guardian Jetbikes

Heavy Support: Wraithlord with Wraithblade and Missile Launcher
    Heavy Support: War Walker Squadron x3, All with two Scatter Lasers

My plan is to use Yriel and the Farseer/Warlock group to swamp up deathstars while the Wraithguards and Wraithlords work as a two-pronged attack. War Walkers will either be close to Farseer for Guide, or against armies where I need it (Space Wolves) they will Outflank. Jetbikes for objective-grabbing late in the game.

Thoughts/Improvements?

Chaplain

Don't forget to fortune your Wraithguard. People will tell you not to play Wraithguard, but they're great, and alot of fun. Might not be super competitive but still fun to play.
    The 4th Doctor has long scarf to protect him from hate.

I was wondering if I should take Enhance on my Wraithguard Spiritseers. The Wraithguard seem to be in melee quite a bit.

Chaplain

Really? I never had that problem with my Wraithguard when I fielded Iyanden under the old codex. It should be pretty easy for you to shoot the living hell out of whatever is going to charge you. Also if you drop Conceal, you will find yourself being shot alot and wishing you hadn't...especially since you may need to move forward every turn.

Chaplain

Oh one thing I would suggest is some Bright Lances, because while Wraithguard are great at just murdering vehicles at close range, you need something for long range.

I figured missile launchers would be good enough for transport-popping, and having some pinning is never bad. Unless I'm fighting Land Raiders I'm not too worried about needing super duper tank poppers.

Chaplain

That's fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Garradh View Post
    Hi I'm a new Eldar player, doing the "try before you buy" thing since . . . well, gonna try before I buy.

HQ: Yriel
    HQ: Farseer w/Runes of Warding, Fortune, Guide; 5 Warlocks including Spiritseer, Embolden, Enhance; Wave Serpent with TL Shurikannon, Shurikannon, Spirit Stones, Star Engines
    The Farseer needs Spirit Stones. It's the very thing that makes Farseers what they are. I wouldn't bother with the Spiritseer seeing as your Farseer does not suffer from Wraithsight... Drop the non-TL Shuriken Cannon, you should always be moving 12" and this will stop you from firing the 2nd Shuriken Cannon, where as if it were a Shuriken Catapult you could still fire.

Troops: 3 Guardian Jetbikes
    I'd leave the Jetbikes in reserves if you weren't going to do that already.

It's usually best to do one thing with your Wraithlord, either CC or shooting. I advice giving one of them a Bright Lance and EML, your really do need it. Even if they're not fielding LR it's likely you'll face some AV 13 and such so it would be helpful.
    Heavy Support: War Walker Squadron x3, All with two Scatter Lasers

My plan is to use Yriel and the Farseer/Warlock group to swamp up deathstars while the Wraithguards and Wraithlords work as a two-pronged attack. War Walkers will either be close to Farseer for Guide, or against armies where I need it (Space Wolves) they will Outflank. Jetbikes for objective-grabbing late in the game.

Thoughts/Improvements?
    The list looks like it would be fun, and Wraithguard can be pretty solid, but you are lacking in AT, a lot. I'd probably even try dropping the Warlocks in favour of a unit of 5 Fire Dragons and put them in that Wave Serpant instead.

BrokenWing, I don't mean to be that guy, but please stop double/triple posting, it's actually against the site rules.

I would really have to argue that the one thing I'm NOT lacking in is AT, if I'm suffering from anything it's anti-infantry firepower. Wraithguard kill tanks at 12" regardless of their AV, Wraithlords have S10 melee backed up by missile launchers, and the warlocks, farseer and Yriel are all S9 in melee against vehicles.

I will drop the Shurikannon upgrade on the WS, it was an afterthought "where do I put 10 points" kind of thing. If I do that, then ditch the spiritseer in the warlock squad (just a redundancy addition) and trade one warlock for a jetbike, I will be able to afford Spirit Stones for my Farseer.

First-Captain

The only trouble I really foresee you having with this army is going up against a DE force.

Whereas every other army is going to have a hard time with all the T6 and T8 you have going on---the poisoned everything that the DE have are going to cause you serious issues.

I would also recommend detailing that both WL have twin flamers. (They're free--why not?) and I'd drop at least one of the wraithblades for something a bit more long ranged and powerful--like a BL. You have, with the exception of the wraithguard & Yriel, no ap2 ranged weaponry. That means Terms and other 2+ save folks are going to be able to move about relatively freely--because you don't have any torrent-of-fire to make them eventually start rolling 1's.

All your firepower really seems so be in the 12" range--which is going to be a problem for you with the more mobile shoot & scoot type armies. (DE, BA, SW ML Spam).

I would also definitely recommend making sure you always have a cover save for your WLs--otherwise you'll find yourself gettting krak missiles to the face repeatedly--and those hurt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast