BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default How many troops do you take?

I'd like to know how many troops do you take to your games.

Of course it depends on your army, army size (total allowed points) and play style. But I believe their is two philosophy behind troop selection:

1 - As much as possible in order to capture more objectives.
    2 - Minimum required and rely on other unit type to contest as many objectives as possible.

What do you think? Which is more efficient?

All comments, thoughts and opinions are welcomed.
    Last edited by Hades Alpha; 09-03-2009 at 08:06 AM.

If I'm playing my Space Marines, I bring a minimum of 2 Troops (tactical squads), plus 1 more for each full 500 points over 1000.

500 points - 2 Troops
    1000 points - 2 Troops
    1500 points - 3 Troops
    1850 points - 3 Troops
    2000 points - 4 Troops

I keep my troops in transports, generally 2-3 Rhinos and 1 in LR. My Sgts are tooled out as PF + Combi-melta, or Plasma Pistol and Power Weapon.

If I'm playing my Dark Eldar, I bring a minimum of 3 Troops at 500 points and generally spam my Troops.

500 points - 3 Troops: 2 Raider squads, 1 Warrior
    1000 points - 4 Troops: 2 Raider squads, 2 Warrior
    1500 points - 4 Troops: 2 Raider squads, 2 Warrior
    1850 points - 4/5 Troops: 2 Raider squads, 2 Warrior or 2 Raider squads, 3 Warrior
    2000 points - 5 Troops: 3 Raider squads, 2 Warrior

I vary my unit model quantity depending on the point level. Warrior squads I will max out at 13 models and I'll run 6-7 models in my Raider squads. I rarely run Syrabites in either type of squad.

I have Daemonhunters and I use a similar quotient. Up to 1500pts, I take 2. Up to 2000, 3. greater than that, i take 4.

eldar - 2 jetbikesquads of 12, 6 guardian squads, 2 dire avengers
    Wolves - 3 grey hunters, 3 bloodclaws (and ther's another 2 of each avail to be built once the new codex arrives)
    Daemon hunters 6 squads of Grey knights
    IG - 8 squads of kreig (2 platoons of 3 and 1 of 2)
    SOB - 6 squads of sisters
    Daemons - 2 squads each of bloodletters, horrors, daemonettes and bearers
    Orks - 3 squads of 30 boyz, 4 truks with 12 boyz and 2 bike sqads

of course these are for 5k+ apoc games so I take all of them - all the time!

In a 1500 point game I take at least 3 squads and prefer 4 squads.

Chaplain

In my Space Marine army, I like to take at least 3 Tactical squads in games of 1500 points or above. This gives me the flexibility of three to six scoring units, depending how I combat squad them.

1,500 or less I tend to take 3 if at all possible, then anything higher normally just 3 maybe 4. Depends on the army. Imperial Guard normally 4, Blood Angels normally 3.

Brother-Sergeant

I take.. not enough.

For CSM, it's easy with Cult Troops being so awesome.
    For SM, I really don't like Tactical squads, so unless I run 2 scout squads and perhaps a tac with with BFH, I struggle to meet the quota.

I lower point games (1250 and below) I like to take as many cheap/semi-effective scoring units as I can, but in higher point games I keep the same number of troop units (usually 4 IG Vet squads or 2 Vet squads and a platoon) and add in more durable or more destructive units that can contest if all else fails.

Occuli Imperator

In my Blood Angels list I take two tac squads and one assault squad, this way I can have anywhere between 3-6 scoring units.

2, always.

2x Scout Squad
    5 Scouts and a Power Fist

But of course I still have 7 Scoring units at 2000 points, I just hate the Marine troop choices. In my DKoK I take 6- 5 Veteran Squads and a Penal Legion.
    Last edited by Dingareth; 09-03-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast