BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Scout

Default Falchions Nerfed. Really?

... Really?
    In the GK codex, no GK unit can have the +1A bonus for 2 close combat weapons other than by taking falchions. Now that falchions have been FAQ'd to say that they only allow +1A not +2A the intertubes is calling foul and declaring falchions to be a completely useless and stupid option that no one would ever take.

This seems pretty dumb to me. Let's make a comparison.

In C:SM a tactical squad sergeant is armed with a Bolt Pistol and a Close Combat Weapon, this gives him +1A making him pretty cool in CC, having 3 attacks. Now (excuse me for not having the codex on hand) from memory, the sergeant is able to upgrade this to a power weapon for something in the vicinty of 10-15 pts. This leaves him with 3 power weapon attacks, and he is the only model in his squad that can take this. The cost of this upgrade is, notwithstanding the initial 10(15) pt outlay for the power sword/axe/kneepad/what-have-you, is a reduction in his potential fire output. The sergeant must exchange his boltgun to get the +1A.

Now let's look at the GK falchions.

A GK in terminator armour pays 5 pts to get +1A. This gives him 3 force weapon attacks. A quick reminder for those of limited attention span: A force weapon is a power weapon that can cause instant death when a successful psychic test is made. Does the GK terminator lose anything? Yes. He loses the 4++ in CC and reverts to his 5++. But he gets to keep his 24", 2 shot assault weapon, losing none of his ranged power, and only gaining in CC power.

A GK in power armour pays 10 pts for the falchions. Why? He loses nothing. He just gets an extra force weapon attack added to his base attacks.

All models in these squads can take falchions. OUCH!

Can someone please explain to me why the falchion has all of a sudden been "nerfed"?

P.S. - The term nerfed confuses me. Nerf guns f*****g rule!

Chaplain

On Terminators, you an still make an argument (also on characters) for their use. I have come to this conclusion after much consideration with my own army list.

You can't for anything else in the book. 100 points for an extra attack for 10 guys is too many when you can often just make them initiative 6 for fewer points. Before, you could make an argument for either upgrade, now you can't. It's not a matter of being useless, it's a matter of not being worth the points, except, arguably, on Terminators.
    The 4th Doctor has long scarf to protect him from hate.

Falchions were never bad, and they certainly aren't now. People just gripe about FAQs no matter what.
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/

As someone else said in another thread, you're getting a +1 Force Weapon, Daemonbane, "Can be stacked +1S multiple times" Attack on a dude who's not going to die anytime soon...

Also, your example is a bit unfair: If you're buying a Power Weapon, you're obviously upgrading the Sgt's squad with a focus in close combat ability. Those 15 points also pay for upgrading THREE attacks into power weapon attacks (that's 5 pts per attack for a total of 15pts). That's a really cheap and good buy to be honest (the drawback being the possibility your opponent may attack you with a high-toughness something/a Dreadnought, and a power weapon just simply being unable to handle it)

For the closest similar ranged upgrade, you pay 15pts to upgrade TWO rapid fire shots into Plasma shots... which more likely than not will kill the poor model holding the weapon
    Last edited by wkz; 06-15-2011 at 12:49 AM.
    Spam is considered to be a delicacy in parts of England. For local approximations, consider fine foods such as Beluga Caviar, truffles, or foie gras. - Actual GW website quote

Chaplain

Sorry, but I just don't buy the "but it's another force weapon" argument. It's not another force weapon, it's another attack. I don't get to super force weapon you.

Chapter-Master

I wouldnt complain, since it still isn a bad weapon. The fact that it is outshined by halberds isnt something to complain about with how good the overall codex is.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

If people are mistaking what I'm saying for complaining they're wrong. I'm just pointing out that Falchions are *typically* not the better option because of the FAQ.

Quote Originally Posted by wkz View Post
    As someone else said in another thread, you're getting a +1 Force Weapon, Daemonbane, "Can be stacked +1S multiple times" Attack on a dude who's not going to die anytime soon...
    No, thats not what I'm getting for those 10 points. I'm getting only +1 attack and it's not worth it, making the option useless. When I pay for 20 point troops with vanilla marine stat lines, that where the cost for force weapons, demonbane, etc. comes in.

I would rather have cheaper troops then upgrade my Justicar with the force weapon and pay the cost that way. This way I'm not spreading all the expense across the entire unit that, contrary to popular belief, die as easily as any other MEQ troop. What ends up happening is as the unit takes casualties (most often before they get to their target, which is normal) I get a deminished return on my investment.

Instead I get expensive troops, justified by the abilities and force weapons they have. So what am I expected to pay 10 points per trooper for? +1 attack, thats it. It's not super special awesome, it's only one attack, and it's effectivly useless.

the joke really lies in the pricing for other units.

would you rather have a 2A GK with a base lds of 8 for 30pts or a 3A Purificator with a base lds of 9 for 29pts?

Quote Originally Posted by Xas View Post
    the joke really lies in the pricing for other units.

would you rather have a 2A GK with a base lds of 8 for 30pts or a 3A Purificator with a base lds of 9 for 29pts?
    Sorry, I misunderstood your post. Now that I've removed head from rectum, I agree with you. I try and justify it though with the GKSS ability to deep strike thus eliminating the cost of a transport.
    Last edited by C.of.N.finity; 06-15-2011 at 02:36 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast