BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Scout

Default 10 things about Finecast...to get over it (at last)

Hello from France
    Having read a lot about Finecast on forums , I decided to write something about it to give a French view of the "case". Read the following with humor

1. According to GW, the switch has been done to improve quality but everyone knows that they did it mainly to cut costs related to metal. When petrol is going to run out, will they do models out of gravel ?
    2. If you whine about defects such as bubbles and bent or broken parts, don't buy it.
    3. If you don't whine about such defects, you're skilled enough to mend them with little effort.
    4. If you still whine, you can wait for the next batch to roll out (on the one after) or enroll for QA at GW. Oh wait, there is no such job...
    5. It's just a resin-based product, no innovation here. A lot of other companies do such products with better results (read less defective models) as their production is better controlled: you do resin with specific moulds not refurbished metal ones.
    6. It's not more expensive, it's a shadow effect from GW's annual price rise. Still, it's unacceptable and it calls for a "reasoned" practise of minitaure gaming. Diversifying is not a bad idea after all: alternative games or models, secondhand market etc.
    7. Petitioning on the Internet is useless, GW only answers to its shareholders. However, we have to put our statements online: it's freedom of speech.
    8. Going "resin" is the new fad to get new players on board and oh my it's working !! Furthermore, as the gaming audience is getting older and having more purchasing capacity, they won't necessarily buy more expensive higher quality products. Getting older is getting wiser (usually)
    9. If you're angry or fed up at this point, get a life
    10. The previous ramblings are reflecting a part of the french gaming opinion but not all of it. Sometimes, it's just so funny to divebomb

Brother-Sergeant

Honestly, I love the material for Finecast! I stoped at a store on my way home from vacation and they had only a few left. I picked Stern over Yarrick (which was a hard choice as the details were honestly AMAZING!)

My Stern does have one or two little imperfections, but the overall detail is much more pronounced than pewter. It is also way easier to clean flash as one can actually see all where all of it is before priming the model!

People just need to remember that with any casting material there could always be some sort of a problem. At least Gw is efficient at fixing the problems...

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

why has the forum been inundated with rabid pro GW supporters lately?

you sir sound like an elitist prick, "OH you can't fix that deformed face? ah well go get a knew hobby fool" the point is that face should never have HAD to be fixed, GW needs to sort out the casting process and their QC before I'll even think of buying.

I haven't bought a finecast yet, I'm reserving judgement, waiting until wayland sorts their international site out, and for summer to come along because I don't want to by something and have it melt (and yes that's what they apparently do in 40 Celsius)

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Because it's nice change to the hoards of GW haters we normally have.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

well played gir, well played

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post

you sir sound like an elitist prick, "OH you can't fix that deformed face? ah well go get a knew hobby fool" the point is that face should never have HAD to be fixed, GW needs to sort out the casting process and their QC before I'll even think of buying.

I haven't bought a finecast yet, I'm reserving judgement, waiting until wayland sorts their international site out, and for summer to come along because I don't want to by something and have it melt (and yes that's what they apparently do in 40 Celsius)
    Who here said anything about a deformed face?

They said minor imperfections.
    =/

Their post is in reply to people complaining about one small air bubble on a smooth surface or something stupid like that.
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Lockark View Post
    Who here said anything about a deformed face?

They said minor imperfections.
    =/

Their post is in reply to people complaining about one small air bubble on a smooth surface or something stupid like that.
    The amount of success people have had seems to vary. I bought a Queek Headtaker (seriously fantastic looking model) which ended up with 10+ bubbles. I called up GW's customer service, awesome service, and they sent me a replacement.

Thing is, the replacement came today, and had *bigger* issues than the first one. Some big bubbles (biggest around 3-4mm times 2mm or something) and missing detail. Detail I can't even begin to be able to repair. I'm honestly disappointed. I like the material, I like the detail, I don't paint that fast anyways so I can just slow down my purchasing a bit, but the poor QC has me seriously bummed out. I've never had a single other miniature have issues like this, metal or plastic.

I'm debating if I should call and complain again. Get yet another replacement. Don't want to have to do stuff like that, pretty weak that I need to.

So far I have not had any issues that were not comparable to issues I've had in the past with GW's metals and plastics.

=/

Your situation reminds me of one I was once in. I once I bought a defective plastic kit, only get get a replacement kit that was also defective. At that point I was just able to scrounge up enough between the two kits to make the model, but it was still disappointing. In all honesty I do not know what advice I could give if both modles were in such bad shape.
    Last edited by Lockark; 06-16-2011 at 11:40 PM.
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

Scout

I see that some people haven't read my line "read it with humor "

@daboarder: I'm not pro GW, nor anti GW and you've missed the whole point. If you get a REALLY defective model, go and replace it until you get a good one
    I don't really like whiners but I can understand their point of view. You need to take some steps back

@lockark: that's the point, really, thx

Finecast can be a good product just like Microsoft Windows but you'll have to wait a bit (however, if you bought Vista, you'll go for first batch Finecast...maybe not

Brother-Sergeant

A friend of my is a doctor and is well known in the gaming community....he can't beleive that they haven't got a warning on the finecast products. In his opinion they do pose a health risk??? Also they will melt sitting on your table in summer unless you live south of Canberra.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast