BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Does Fear of the Darkness actually stack?

The latest BRB FAQ was largely a by product of the psychic prevalent GK Codex, but given the update, is it now possible to stack Fear of the Darkness?

You obviously need to run two Libbies with one squad so that FotD fires off simultaneously and effects the one target at the same time. So would this equal an immediate -4 Morale check? I have an opinion myself based on the wording of the FAQ, the FotD text and the rulebook 9largely that it is possible to do so), but keen to understand what others may feel if it's different.

Thoughts?

No, I don't think Fear of the Darkness would stack in that way, even if cast simultaneously by two librarians in the same squad. True, both powers would hit simultaneously (just like any other shooting attacks made by their unit).

But each command to take a Morale test is coming simultaneously. The unit must therefore take two Morale tests.

Then we ask ourselves what penalty those checks have. In order for it to be -4, one of the two powers would have to hit first. That is the only way the two penalties could both apply to a test. The fact that two things happen simultaneously is not grounds for combining them. We sometimes do so as a shortcut, but it is a shortcut.

For instance, if you came to me and said, "Nab, you must immediately remove $2.50 from your pockets," and your friend simultaneously said, "Nab, you must immediately remove $2.50 from your pockets," I could take a shortcut and drop a $5 on the ground. In this case, the shortcut works.

But if you came to me and said, "Nab, you must immediately give me $2.50," and your friend simultaneously said, "Nab, you must give immediately give me $2.50," I would have to give each of you $2.50. I could not give one of you $5, nor would I have to give each of you $5. In this case, taking a shortcut by combining the two commands would not work.

Cheers for your thoughts Nab, and I can see that making sense. Always better to ask when you're not in the process of rolling dice in order to watch "insert nasty unit name here" run off the board, and then having a big argument about it

Nab, I could use $5.

Thanks
    D